Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Question RBCD fragmentation ammo.

Anyone have experience with this ammo? I've looked around the net and saw bits and pieces, but thought I'd ask. I wish I could give you a link that explained the ammo better but the website design is horrible. It appears to be a fragmentation ammo.

http://www.rbcd.net/products.htm

I can't say I'm thrilled after researching other types of fragmentation, but these seemed to have people talking.

Default Re: RBCD fragmentation ammo.

There is considerable controversy regarding RBCD ammo and Le Mas ammo(manufactured by RBCD). RBCD is in the class of ammo that increases the muzzle energy (kinetic energy) without exceeding pressures that would damage the barrel, because kinetic energy varies linearly with mass but quadratically with velocity. This heavy and slow, verses light and fast has been a controversy in ballistics for a long time.

The argument is so fierce that it has deteriorated into ad hominem attacks.

On the traditional side is DocGKR. Dr. Gary K. Roberts, D.D.S., LCdr. USNR, he's one of the nations foremost wound ballistics experts. (Dental Surgeon) LeMas/RBCD Ammunition Analysis

On the other side of the argument is SwatSurgeon. He is Director of Trauma; Instructor tactical medical support courses for International School of Tactical Medicine, Operational Medical Director TEMS for Local SWAT teams.

Trauma Surgeon Evaluates LeMas - Graphic

Part of the controversy is the promotional method used by LeMas and whether "blended metal technology" really means blended metal or is just a trade name for the product. Lost in the argument is the effectiveness of the ammunition and the efficacy of ballistic gel to properly evaluate ammo in this energy/velocity profile.

Bottom line. Would I carry it? I'm leaning strongly in that direction but have not yet committed. If I commit to carrying it, I will likely become a stocking distributor. I agree, their website is atrocious. I've spent quite a bit of time putting together a document that summarizes the information into a brochure should I go through with being a distributor.
    Last edited by HowardCohodas; November 1st, 2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Howard - I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!

The following article was written by a retired FBI agent under a pseudonym about the Coral Gables Fl PD adopting Le Mas ammo.

Starts on page 46:
    Le Mas Handgun Ammo - Rifle-Like Firepower by Bob Pilgrim
    Howard - I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!

(Cambria County)

Sounds interesting, but too good to be true.

(Jefferson County)

Man, I thought you were kidding about the web site. That is just awful. My favorite bit is the white text on white background.

(Franklin County)

I should kick myself in the yazoo for doing what I did, but I called the distributor and ordered two boxes of the "personal defense/home security, in .38 special. They're $35 for 20 rounds and roughly $12 for shipping UPS Ground. I thought the shipping sounded high so I asked what the shipping would cost for 2 boxes of ammo. She told me the same price until I order more then 3 boxes, so I ordered two boxes in .38 special. I've never been one to skimp when it comes to good ammo, and I find it hard to put a value on something that could save my life.

I fell for the Glazer Safety Slug gimmick years ago, but that was before I had internet. Since then I've read the terrible reviews of that ammo, although I must admit, I liked the way it performed on soft targets.

Now I'll have to find something to test the RBCD rounds on. It won't be a living thing but close. I can see this ammo being stored for awhile until I find a suitable application. I may have done the wrong thing and fell for a gimmick, or I could have done the right thing and got some before it's unavailable. Either way, half the fun is trying something new, especially when the item has such a controversy about it.

If it does what it appears to do, I'll then have to decide on the possible legalities surrounding carrying it, before I carry it.

So, will anyone have a dead, but warm, medium sized animal available in about a week?
    Last edited by Peddler; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:30 PM.