Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 38 special

(Philadelphia County)

Default my 38 special

hey revolver lovers i am new on here and i just purchased my first gun i wanted to know how safe are revolvers can i keep it loaded in my home cause thats what i brought it for i also wanted to know how to go about gettin a ltcf i havent brought a holster yet but is it okay to keep it loaded in my pocket while i am at home can some on help me out thanks

(York County)

Default Re: my 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by antoine View Post
    hey revolver lovers i am new on here and i just purchased my first gun i wanted to know how safe are revolvers can i keep it loaded in my home cause thats what i brought it for i also wanted to know how to go about gettin a ltcf i havent brought a holster yet but is it okay to keep it loaded in my pocket while i am at home can some on help me out thanks
    I keep a few revolvers loaded all the time. No kids here, but if you do that is something to consider. Revolvers are safe as long as you keep your finger off the trigger.
    Being a new owner, and apparently new to the gun world, I suggest you refrain from doing a trigger job until you have more experience shooting.
    As far as carrying a gun in your pocket..well, it's much preferable to get a holster. Keeps the debris that accumulates in everyones' pockets from dirtying up the gun. Also, a pocket holster covers the trigger guard which reduces the possibility of an accidental or negligent discharge when drawing the gun. So, I suggest you purchase a pocket holster for your revolver before you carry it in your pocket.

As far as applying for a license, it's pretty easy. However those PAFOA guys who live in the Philadelphia area can respond to that better then I can.

Good luck, be safe...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: my 38 special

thank you appreciate the info

(Jefferson County)

You can keep it loaded in your home. You can carry it openly and concealed in your home without a license. You can carry it openly on your property without a license in Philly. To carry if off your property you need a license, whether openly or concealed in Philly. You may transport it unloaded to a range without a license.

With all that above, its still a good idea to get your LTCF. They are cheap($25) and relatively painless to get, and they afford you an exemption to the laws of the state.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 1st, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Definately time to get to the range and learn how the gun works. It would be of great benefit to also take a beginner's class, particularly if you plan on carrying and/or keeping it loaded. As Jeff Cooper said, "owning a gun makes you no more armed than owning a guitar makes you a musician." As for pocket carry, that method has a lot to do with the size of the gun. It's not going to be easy to deploy if it's large. I carry a very small (NAA Mimi-Mag) in my pocket without a holster. For anything larger I'd have an outside holster, which is how I carry my 9mm....or .32LC....or .38. Yeah, I switch up depending on mood or how much weight I want to deal with, or where I'm carrying. In the woods a lighter revolver is fine for me. Another thing to think about with pocket carry is if your gun has a hammer. You can easily catch it on the edge of your pocket and have an accidental discharge. Mine is so samll that I can cover the entire gun upon retrival so I'm not concerned with cocking it accidentally but on anything larger it could be a problem. Look into IWB (In Waist Band) or OWB (Out Waist Band) holsters for close to your body carry. Then there are a multitude of retention holsters available, these require some simple action from you for drawing the weapon but all the rest of the time secure the weapon...it can't easily be grabbed or fall out. Whatever action is required will become part of your draw and adds no time to deployment. All that said, I recommend you get a holster. And take a class. And get some range time. And look up on this site what the carry laws are. If you are able to get out this way (Lower Bucks) I'll be happy to take you to my range, it'll be 5 bucks as a guest fee and whatever bullets you bring. I'm no expert but I can teach you the 4 basic rules, targeting and a few other tidbits of information about guns.

As for the 4 basic safety rules
    1 Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.
    2 Always keep the gun pointed downrange. (even if it's sitting on the bench unloaded and action open)
    3 Keep your finger off the trigger ontil on target AND ready to fire.
    4 Know your target and know what is beyond your target.

These rules work very well if you follow them. You can break any of the first three rules and be ok, but the fourth one....failure to adhere to this and you run the risk of doing irreversible damage or death to someone or something.

Owning a firearm is a huge responsibility. Learn how to do this safely. Your off to a fine start by coming here with questions.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; November 1st, 2009 at 03:52 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: my 38 special

thanks for the advice when i brought the gun from philadelphia archery and gun shop they gave me a basic lesson it went out pretty good but i want to go back and i know that it isnt illegal to go to and from a range with a gun thats unloaded ammo in a seperate container etc but it is the neighborhood i live in that makes it worst i dont drive so i gotta walk to the train stop which is 7 blocks a way and i dont feel like gettin harressed by the law cause we got a few clowns around my neighborhood that just dont learn a couple breakin and i just want to be able to defend my family the right and proper way and exercise my rights to bear arms

You must be bored with your own life., Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can keep it loaded in your home. You can carry it openly and concealed in your home without a license. You can carry it openly on your property without a license in Philly. To carry if off your property you need a license, whether openly or concealed in Philly. You may transport it unloaded to a range without a license.

With all that above, its still a good idea to get your LTCF. They are cheap($25) and relatively painless to get, and they afford you an exemption to the laws of the state.
    Good info!

(Monroe County)

I CAN'T HELP YOU UNLESS YOU USE PUNCTUATION.

**smashes head through monitor and breaks keyboard across teeth**
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

Almost all guns are safe to keep loaded, no gun will fire by itself and most won't fire if dropped. The question is can someone get a hold of your gun and pull the trigger? For most of us the answer is yes at one time or another, so IMO it is a good idea to keep the gun secured, either on your body or in some kind of locked container. SPAG should be able to sell you a safe that can be accessed quickly.

There have been too many stories of people leaving guns lying around that ended badly. I think it was last year that a cop left his gun unattended at a party and some jackass picked it up and shot someone. Kids have died in Philly because people have left guns "put up" where they think the kids won't get to them. Putting the gun in a hard to reach location is insufficient and also unsafe because when you reach up high to grab it you might touch the trigger. Best keep it somewhere that you can see what you're doing, but locked so that unauthorized people can't get to it. Or if you really want to be prepared to use the gun at a moment's notice, get a decent holster and wear it.

thanks for the advice when i brought the gun from philadelphia archery and gun shop they gave me a basic lesson it went out pretty good but i want to go back and i know that it isnt illegal to go to and from a range with a gun thats unloaded ammo in a seperate container etc but it is the neighborhood i live in that makes it worst i dont drive so i gotta walk to the train stop which is 7 blocks a way and i dont feel like gettin harressed by the law cause we got a few clowns around my neighborhood that just dont learn a couple breakin and i just want to be able to defend my family the right and proper way and exercise my rights to bear arms
    Your off to a good start in being proactive in self-defense. Get over to the police or sheriff (not sure in Philly who issues) and get your LTCF going so you can legally carry. If your willing to hop on a train and get out this way I'm willing to pick you up at the local train station and get you on the range here. The only problem I see is how to legally carry it since you won't be in a car. Does anyone know if non-vehicle carry to and from the range is legal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast