Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Question Regarding Safes - Steelwater

I'm in the process of looking for a good gun safe that is resonable priced. I found this on e-bay and was wondering if anybody has had any experience good/bad to share?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steelwater-22-Gu...item3357244f57

Hope that works? It looks good to me but this is my first safe and I don't want to blow 1K on junk! Thanks

PS
    I think this post is in the right section if not I apologize in advance ...

Here is another one and it is from PA

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-Back-GS5...item4ceb67de34
    Last edited by V-MAN; November 5th, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added another link

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default Re: Question Regarding Safes - Steelwater

I don't know much about the one you are looking at. You may want to use the Browning Safe as a reference. If you go to their website you can see what the fire rating, weight, number of bolts etc an compare.

I just purchased my first and after investigation I narrowed it down to a browning Medallion M28F or a safe from Patriot. I went with the Browning. Now my safe will be in the garage so I wanted a heavy one and one that has 10 gauge shell rather than 12 gauge. Depends if you want to protect guns from those in your home etc.

I will mention that the Browning safe has 18' more or less in side, front to back, plus the inches needed for the DPX storage. So IMHO you do get more storage space, I think.

Not plugging Browning but they are somewhere local and you can look at them up close and personal. They make different price units.

Just my opinion and no I am not trying to sell Browning just sharing my experience.

(Adams County)

i have a liberty. i had a break in they worked on that safe trying to get it open. broke off the dial and put a dent in the door. had to have a locksmith come and open it cost me $390 to get it open and a new lock installed.

the locksmith called and said that liberty mite cover the repairs. i don't know yet am checking on it now.

(Luzerne County)

I also use liberty. It is my understanding that liberty also makes safes for other companies.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Beaver County)

Thanks guys, I will use Browning and Liberty for comps anyway. I was hoping somebody had either a Steelwater or Diamond Back with personal experience. Sometimes things look better on "paper" then in person. On paper they both look good ...

(Adams County)

My Browning was delivered today. For what it is worth, do what everyone tells you to do, BUY THE BIGGEST YOU CAN AFFORD. I should have gone up one size to the 60x36 instead of the 60x30. I saved some money, right. The otherthing is get one with a light. It is darker then night in there.

If you do a search on this site for safe, browning, or what ever something may come up to help you.

If you are serious you may want to type in "Patriot Safe". Check out the ones rated for "2 hour burn time". I am pretty sure they are as good as Browning just a different layout. I do believe that today you would receive excellent customer service but who knows later on. I believe that many of the Browning Safes are made in China. The Madellion is USA made. I think all Browning ProSteel, if that's the right word, are made in Americal.

It is hard to know which one to purchase. The Patriot has good customer service and the Browning has the DPX Door. I don't know much about Liberty somehow I missed them when I was doing my research.

A lot of it is smoke and mirrors and a good deal is important. Like the bolts on the door. How many and are they on all sides. Some don't have them on all sides of the door. For instance the Browning I have has them on all four sides. The hinges can be cut off and still the bolts are holding the dooor on.

I don't know about you but I know very little and am only sharing my thoughts. For sure there are others on here that are more knowlegable than I. It also depends how much you want to spend, where it will be kept, and what you want it for. If it is for protecting your children then you don't need an expensive safe. If it is for fire and burglary then the cost goes up.

Good luck on you investigation and let us know what you ended up with.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by doxie3 View Post
    My Browning was delivered today. For what it is worth, do what everyone tells you to do, BUY THE BIGGEST YOU CAN AFFORD. I should have gone up one size to the 60x36 instead of the 60x30. I saved some money, right. The otherthing is get one with a light. It is darker then night in there.
    You can add an under cabinet light from lowes or home depot for less money then what the safe company offers. You may want to put a golden rod in the safe also. My liberty came with a hole in the back so that electrical can be run into it.

(Luzerne County)

I have been thinking of doing like this for some added storage.

This is the type of rack that I use to store my pistols.

(Adams County)

I did install a dry rod. The browning comes with a hole just big enough for the cord to pass through and then you install the plug.

Seriously though if you check with www.Patriot Safes.com (I think that is their link) you can get a deal. I could purchase a 60 x 40, 10 guage, 2 hour fire rating from them for about $2300 which included delivery and un package in my garage. There is no sales tax. Touch pad combo.

The Browning was 60 x 30, 10 gauge, 90 minute fire rating, with the DPX door, for $2310 delivered. Dial Combo lock.

I went with the Browning because the person delivering is local and was able to set it right where I want it etc. (I like the door of the Browning)

I don't know if the Browning is a good safe. I'll let you know after the fire or after the burglary.

Both places have less expensive safes if you want one for about a $1,000 I think they both have them. Of course if you want a more expensive one they are out there.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    You can add an under cabinet light from lowes or home depot for less money then what the safe company offers. You may want to put a golden rod in the safe also. My liberty came with a hole in the back so that electrical can be run into it.
    Not trying to get off the subject but with the Browning safe and the Dry Rod do I need anything else for moisture. I am keeping in my attached, insulated garage. Garage is not heated.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast