Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Borough of East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)

Default Act 235 Training

Hey friends,

Since there aren't many jobs out there, and I myself am looking for a new career, I'm seriously thinking of pursuing the security field, prefarably act-235 security.

Couple questions however.

1.) What should I expect from the training? I imagine part of it will focus around firearm retention but what else?

2.) Besides becoming an armed security officer, what other avenues of employment become available to me once I get my act-235 cert?

3.) Anywhere in Monroe county that offers this training?

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

(Monroe County)

(Pike County)

Default Re: Act 235 Training

Howdy JD.
    I went through my 235 in May 2009. I took my class at Starr Uniform in Scranton. They have a class in progress now, I have a friend in it.
    Most of the trainning is on law as it relates to security work, and a bit of the UFA.
    Retention training was about 1 to 2 hours, as part of a 4 hour set on hand to hand. This also included handcuffing and a bit more.
    To hit your 3rd question, no one in Monroe or Pike counties hold 235 classes.
    The colleges have a habit of last minute cancelling of the class, if not enough people sign up. My friend in class now had his class through a college postponed, and then cancelled 1 day before the class was to start.
    There where also several people in my class that had the same thing happen to them.
    Not sure where you want to draw the lines, but armored car crew and Public Safety Officer in private communities are related jobs.
    There are a LOT of private communities in the Pike/Monroe area that use 235 officers. Most have openings on a regular basis.
    Within the last month Pine Ridge had an opening, and I believe that Pocono Ranchlands has a p/t opening now. Most of the communities want you to have the 235 coming in. Some will start you without it, and give you time to get it, but at a lower payrate (usually).
    I work as a Public Safety Officer in a Pike county community.
    If you have any questions or if I can be of any help, please feel free to pm me.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Act 235 Training

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final