Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 45 ACP & 9mm luger Load Data

I am looking for load data for 45ACP 230gn Lead RN using Bullseye
    I am also looking for data for 9MM Luger 125 Gn Lead RN using Bullseye powder. Thanks
    Butch

Default Re: 45 ACP & 9mm luger Load Data

You can try here: http://www.handloads.org/ ; but I'd really suggest a good reloading manual, like the Lyman.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Thanks for the web address. My reloading manual does not list bullseye powder for L RN Bullet for both the 9 and 45
    Thanks Again butch

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by butch56 View Post
    I am also looking for data for 9MM Luger 125 Gn Lead RN using Bullseye powder. Thanks
    Butch
    Butch,

for 225/230 lead in .45 auto, I use 5 grains even, and my 4.4" P220 achieves a 787 fps avg with an sd of 5. My 1911 gains about 50 fps over the P220.

125 grain lead in 9mm, I use 4.4 grains of Bullseye, which gives 1100 fps in a 5" Beretta/Walther. The bullets are Lee 125 grain 2R RN I cast with wheel weights, and size .358". Used both water quench hardened and not with good results.

Please double check, and confirm with reliable sources what I have written should you choose to duplicate, and please follow prudent work up procedures (not that these are barn burners by any stretch). These are my classic bread and butter loads, they perform well, and I like them a lot. Good luck.

Thanks you guys are great both replies I checked the web site and your loads are the same recormended by them. You have giving me a starting point and I appreaciated it
    Thanks Again Butch

(Clearfield County)

Butch
    Guns N'at is right on it. Lyman is the closest I could find. The big .45 listing is for a 225 with Bullseye starting at 4.0 and max at 5.0. For the 9mm there is a 121 listed with min of 3.4 and max at 4.2 and there is a 130 with min at 3.4 and max at 3.7.

Really watch the seating depth with the 9mm. Seating too deep will cause a pressure spike. This will show as cratering on the primers before serious trouble starts. I hope this helps.

(Columbia County)

Thanks you guys are great both replies I checked the web site and your loads are the same recormended by them. You have giving me a starting point and I appreaciated it
    Thanks Again Butch
    Remember to always double and triple check load data that you receive from online users (which it looks like you're doing). I'm not saying anyone here gave bad information, but it can happen.

About a month ago or so I was replying to someone asking about load data for .38 special. In the thread title, he asked about .357" (I don't remember how it was written, but it was a bit confusing) and I accidentally thought he meant 357 mag instead of .38 SPL. I then gave him corresponding load data. Fortunately someone caught my mistake quickly. I changed my reply and the OP changed his wording to make it more clear. No harm done... but it definitely drove home the point not to trust what you read on a forum without double checking the information. It was also a wake up call for me to read more carefully before giving out load data over.

Sorry to go a little off topic.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    Guns N'at is right on it. Lyman is the closest I could find. The big .45 listing is for a 225 with Bullseye starting at 4.0 and max at 5.0. For the 9mm there is a 121 listed with min of 3.4 and max at 4.2 and there is a 130 with min at 3.4 and max at 3.7.

Really watch the seating depth with the 9mm. Seating too deep will cause a pressure spike. This will show as cratering on the primers before serious trouble starts. I hope this helps.
    Like you, I echo and proclaim the importance of seating depth, the dangers of setback, and how to eliminate it best as can be done. Newer reloaders especially, find setting proper OAL one of the biggest issues they deal with, and the vagueness of how it is dealt with in many manuals is disturbing. As for the data, a lot of manuals will show max charge weights based on not exceeding a certain low velocity, not because of max pressure, especially if very soft swaged bullets are used. Well cast, sized, and lubed bullets can be driven to at least 1300 fps w/o gas checks perfectly fine; 2000 fps+ with GC's in my experience.

As for cratering, this can be tricky IMO and experience to interpret, even in much higher pressure situations. Another problem when trying to interpret cratering, is when pistols utilize a chamfered firing pin hole in the slide. Even with pressures far below max allowable, the primer will show what appears as high pressure cratering, but is perfectly normal and intended. One classic example is seen in Beretta 92/M9 service pistols. Even when I shoot ammo that will barely operate the slide, and is 30% below max, the primers "crater" as was intended in the design. Here is a picture of such cases from my Beretta M9 on the bottom:

You would think big problems are afoot, but all is well .
    Last edited by Guns N'at; March 11th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Remember to always double and triple check load data that you receive from online users (which it looks like you're doing). I'm not saying anyone here gave bad information, but it can happen.
    Mentioned a few posts above:

"Please double check, and confirm with reliable sources what I have written should you choose to duplicate, and please follow prudent work up procedures"

and always the best practice to be safe... Have even seen reputable reloading manuals make mistakes over the years too, and being a wary reloader, is a safe reloader regardless of who publishes the data.

(Luzerne County)

Lee's "Modern Reloading" manual has the data that you want. It lists 4.4 to 4.9 grains of Bullseye for the 9mm 125 grain lead RN.
    It lists 4.0 as the load for the .45 230 grain lead RN. That is a relatively mild load. Hornady lists all the way up to 5.7 grains of Bullseye for a 230 grain LRN. I load in the middle of that - at 5.0 grains.
    Good arguments, both, for having more than one manual on hand.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; January 17th, 2011 at 06:52 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast