Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: COULDN'T RESIST

(Delaware County)

Default COULDN'T RESIST

Went to French Creek the other day to look at a Ruger GP-100. I was impressed with it but the counter guy put a 686 next to it and, for me, there was no comparison. The 686 fit my hand better and had a much better trigger out of the box. I've heard the GP-100 sweetens up with use but the 686 was the one for me.
    That being said, I left without buying because I wanted to see if I could get a better price elsewhere.
    I went to the range today intending to shoot my CZ75 and to check out the prices on the 686. In the 'used gun' case sat a S&W model 19-4 in blue with a 6" barrel. Not a scratch on it other than the turn marks, the finish was in great shape and it locked up tight as a drum. The price was $400 and I bought it on the spot.
    So, instead of shooting the CZ, I spent the afternoon shooting the Smith. It shot as well, if not better than the python I used to have. Pics to follow.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: COULDN'T RESIST

"The 686 fit my hand better"....... was it a bigger grip? smaller? I'm asking because I'm in the market for a GP100 also

(Delaware County)

The Ruger felt bigger and boxier in my hand while the rubber grips of the 686 and L frame fit the contour of my hand perfectly. I had every intention of buying the 686 and I probably will down the road but theirs something about a classic blued revolver that I really like.

(Columbia County)

the GP's come in "blue" also... my biggest concern is the grip fit, I need and want the smallest grips. I understand that the adjustable sighted Rugers can be fitted w/ the grips from the fixed sighted models. I guess I just like the "beefiness" look and feel of the GP.

(Delaware County)

Glassman,
    Just remember that the M19 is a "K" frame. It is not intended for a steady diet of *P ammo or full house .357s. It is a great gun. I bought one for each of my two sons.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhands View Post
    the GP's come in "blue" also... my biggest concern is the grip fit, I need and want the smallest grips. I understand that the adjustable sighted Rugers can be fitted w/ the grips from the fixed sighted models. I guess I just like the "beefiness" look and feel of the GP.
    Do what I did..compare them both side by side. Both are fine guns and either will serve you well. Good luck with your choice.

"Just remember that the M19 is a "K" frame. It is not intended for a steady diet of *P ammo or full house .357s."
    From what I"ve read, there seems to be some discussion about that. This is a range gun for me and will only be fed .38's. It's certainly more comfortable to shoot and won't beat me or the gun up over an afternoon at the range.
    Last edited by glassman; July 17th, 2007 at 05:51 AM.

Sounds like a good buy. It's hard to go wrong with an S&W revolver. I have an 80+ year-old M&P .38 special. My wife loves the grip, it shoots well and has an excellent trigger. The only problem is that the nickel plating looks a bit ratty after 8 decades.

I bought a GP100 in January. Great shooter and very nice trigger. Been thinking about a Wolf spring kit, but haven't seen the pressing need yet. You will wear out shooting hot .38's and .357 long before the GP100 gets tired, it's built like a tank.