Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default security at Temple University???

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking around this site for a few months now and being a newer gun owner and LTCF holder I've found the info here very helpful.
    Now onto my question- I was invited by a friend to an event for the Temple basketball team on Weds. night and was wondering if anyone knew what type of security they have if any (metal detectors, wands, ect). My understanding is that since I am not a student, if found to be in possession of a firearm I will be asked to leave or face a trespassing charge. I plan on getting a ride with some family (in-laws) who aren't exactly fond of firearms and have no idea I carry. So I can't just walk back to the car if they are wanding or have detectors. And given the wonderful location, if I can CC, I'm not going. And info will be greatly appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: security at Temple University???

where's the game? (AKA, where's Temple University, I know its in Philly but what streets?)

(Philadelphia County)

Cool Re: security at Temple University???

I've visited the dorms and events at Temple quite a bit. I'm nearly certain they won't let you carry into an event or building.

On another note, is that's really going to stop you from going out?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    where's the game? (AKA, where's Temple University, I know its in Philly but what streets?)
    They're not having a game on Wednesday. From what I understand it will be the first time this years team will assemble and practice/scrimmage. Sort of like a meet and greet for friends, family, and students. Temple is located at 1801 N. Broad Street.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJamNoCode View Post
    On another note, is that's really going to stop you from going out?
    It might. I'm on the fence on weather or not I feel like going. I'm not a big fan of north Philly after dark. Some friends used to live about a block from the school, I've left late and stayed overnight-it can get "interesting".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PPS40 View Post
    They're not having a game on Wednesday. From what I understand it will be the first time this years team will assemble and practice/scrimmage. Sort of like a meet and greet for friends, family, and students. Temple is located at 1801 N. Broad Street.

It might. I'm on the fence on weather or not I feel like going. I'm not a big fan of north Philly after dark. Some friends used to live about a block from the school, I've left late and stayed overnight-it can get "interesting".
    Yeah... I'm not always 100% comfortable there myself. I personally don't carry (mostly because I don't own a gun besides a 1916 Luger haha) but I'm not sure that I'd feel safe even if I did carry in that area.

If you're truly on the fence about going then don't bother, but if you really wanted to go and not being able to carry was the only thing holding you back I'd suggest a reassessment of priorities.

Whatever you decide, have fun and stay safe.

My daughter got her Masters Degree from Temple. I haven't been there since '93, but the part of Broad St from the hospital to the main campus was a war zone then. She worked night shift at the University Hospital part time when she went to school & she said the halls just ran with blood on Fri & Sat nights.
    Then again, I've known her to exaggerate a bit. I'd carry if I could do it legally.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Delaware County)

if they don't have metal detectors, I'd deep conceal...it's pretty rough where Temple is...Caa2003 grew up like 2 miles from their campuses around Broad Street.

stay safe...
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Cambria County)

you won't catch me anywhere near that part of town without my p229 and 2 extra mags lol

the campus isn't that bad but if you stray a block or two in any direction look out.

my advice, carry, if you get to security and you see them wanding or something of the sort say you left your phone in the car and go put it in a bag of some sort. it has worked for me

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PPS40 View Post
    They're not having a game on Wednesday. From what I understand it will be the first time this years team will assemble and practice/scrimmage. Sort of like a meet and greet for friends, family, and students.
    If it is not a game, I doubt they would be wanding. It is not an official gathering, only a meet and greet with family.

Put your handgun in your boot, when you get to where you are going, go to the rest room and in a stall put it in your holster. (just don't take a wide stance or tap your foot too much)
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    you won't catch me anywhere near that part of town without my p229 and 2 extra mags lol

the campus isn't that bad but if you stray a block or two in any direction look out.

my advice, carry, if you get to security and you see them wanding or something of the sort say you left your phone in the car and go put it in a bag of some sort. it has worked for me
    Good idea with the phone. I think I'll take that approach. I agree with the off campus comment it's bad, real bad. Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast