Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Enfield No4MK1/2 1st hunt

Thanks to the info from some of you on my first post about this gun I have been able to find out what I needed to know to find parts and to answer some of questions I had about the gun.. Thank Y'all very much for helping out this newbie. I thought I would update on what I learned and where I'm at with the restoration and use of the weapon.

Thanks to the links y'all provided I was able to find the sources for parts at very reasonable prices for the parts I need.

The links also included a wealth of information about the gun's history, manufacturing, technical info an answered most of my questions.

The gun appearing to be fully functional as is, I decided to find some bullets and try hunting with it as it is minus the forward stock. Not having a safety I was not confident in letting my son or girlfriend use it but, felt confident enough for me to hunt with it. So I carried into the woods with me yesterday for a morning hunt.

AMMO
    It was a chore finding a retail source that had the bullets. I spent most of the day Saturday and finally found them at a specialty gun dealer in Lawrenceville, Ga after trying several different places around town. The bullets were fairly expensive $25.00/20 rounds but at least I found them. Does anyone know a cheaper internet source?

As an unrelated interesting historical note: the shop where I found the bullets is located at the spot where Larry Flynt (Hustler Magazine fame) was gunned down as he exited the Gwinnette Co. Ga. Courthouse by a sniper, leaving him a parpalegic. The unknown sniper has never been identified or caught.

With bullets in hand I hunted with it yesterday morning on a property of a friend that is loaded with wild hog and deer. I was looking forward to hunting with the iron sites rather than one of my scoped rifles for something different.
    I did not see anything and have still not fired the weapon. Which is probably a good thing because at the end of the hunt when I unloaded the gun the extracter arm did not catch the shell casing and extract the bullet out of the chamber. Being unfired the bullet fell out but, If I had of fired the round I'm sure the bullet casing would have expanded causing it to become wedged in the chamber so that I would have only been able to fire one shot.

After a closer inspection of the bolt it was obvious that the extractor spring was missing. So, the afternoon hunt was spent watching a hog wallor with the Ruger Carbine 44 mag.

It is probably wiser to go ahead and order the parts and complete the gun with some time at the firing range before trying to hunt with it again.

Live and learn.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Enfield No4MK1/2 1st hunt

any large gunshow in the area will have the ammo and parts you need. the show i was at last weekend had syrplus 303 for $20/ bandoleer (which is 50 rnds). the ammo vendor had new ammo but I didnt check the price