Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Shooting at a golf ball?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here is my question, is it safe to shoot at a golf ball?

I was at the range last weekend and some guy was there with a tennis ball on a string and shooting at it. His rounds were going right through. It got me thinking and I decided to give that a shot, but I don't have any tennis balls lying around. I found some old golf balls and drilled a hole through them and tied a string through it and before I go shooting at them I was worried that with them being a lot more dense than a tennis ball, should I be worried about a ricochet, or maybe a re-direction? I will be shooting 22lr.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post and if it's a stupid question.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Shooting at a golf ball?

I'd think you would be fine, but haven't tested this myself so cannot be sure. Only kind of ball I've shot is those 25 cent super balls you get from prize machines.

A golf ball can take some serious abuse though, I wouldn't be shocked if you bounced a .22 off one. Don't think it'd happen though.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Some golf balls have a pressureized liquid core, be careful drilling through them. Unless someone has specific experiance its anyones guess as to what could happen with a golf ball. I haven't been to a range that would allow me to shoot anything but paper, but then again New York has a stick up its butt.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Carbon County)

It's going to be hanging by a string so I doubt that it would come back to the shooting benches and rests, but I want to make sure. Thanks for you input.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Some golf balls have a pressureized liquid core, be careful drilling through them. Unless someone has specific experiance its anyones guess as to what could happen with a golf ball. I haven't been to a range that would allow me to shoot anything but paper, but then again New York has a stick up its butt.
    Never thought of that, but apparently mine didn't, lol. I have already drilled them and tied the string through. These were cheap balls I bought at Ollie's Outlet store. No pressurized core, but they did stick when I was drilling them.

Jim

(Montgomery County)

I would not be concerned about shooting at a golf ball. Since a golf ball is round and if the bullet is not going to penetrate the ball it will take the path of least resistance. Ricochets coming directly back at you are very very rare. Here is some evidence...

fire away...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    You cannot pressurize liquid. You can pressurize gas, but attempting to pressurize liquid turns into what we call hydraulic power. I know that some of the ball manufacturers may claim this, yet science refutes its possibility.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

I'm not sure where you plan on doing the shooting, but if your going to a SGL be aware that it will be a $200 fine if they see you shooting at anything other than paper.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

i have a confession.... i fear shooting at stuff! lol kind of stupid but still scares the shitzky out of me.

but i have seen, and also done some of the shootin myself, this done....
    but it might be safer to shoot at em on the ground so that any chance ricocet will maybe go down, but i dont know thats how i have done it.

(Lancaster County)

I think as long as the golf ball is not anchored to something immovable you should be ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast