Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Need advice on cold weather hunting gear..outerwear?

Hey folks,

This is a follow up from a previous post. I got some polypropylene fleece thermal underwear including socks. I got a par of Lacrosse PAC boots (2000 grams of thinsulate lining). Now I am looking for advice on good outerwear for cold weather hunting (in a tree stand). I'm looking for "cold weather proof" and "waterproof" if raining or snowing. What fits the bill for both categories?

Thanks again,

John

Default Re: Need advice on cold weather hunting gear..outerwear?

I don't hunt in cold weather as much as ya'll do in PA, but I'd definitely recommend a nice balaclava. They hide your face, keep you warm, and feel great. I love mine. The only bad thing is that it can limit your field of vision; in a tree stand in some trees with a pretty narrow field of view, it probably won't hurt a bit. Just something to consider.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I don't hunt in cold weather as much as ya'll do in PA, but I'd definitely recommend a nice balaclava. They hide your face, keep you warm, and feel great. I love mine. The only bad thing is that it can limit your field of vision; in a tree stand in some trees with a pretty narrow field of view, it probably won't hurt a bit. Just something to consider.
    they suck if you wear glasses
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

get you some of the "no fog" stuff made for sunglasses and that will be safe for the coatings on your lenses. It doesn't always stop all of it, but it can help.

(Lawrence County)

Here's the deal that I leared from PA and CO hunting over 30 years.

Get yourself some decent winter/thick running tights from Dicks or other sports store. They beat the hell out of thermals and don't bunch up. They also do not make noise. Yeah, they cost $40+ a pair but are just as valuable as good boots. Get a good pair of lined hunting pants to wear over them. For stand hunting use some regular sweat pants in between.

Get an underarmor or other type of shirt. Get a tight T-shirt over it. A sweat shirt and decent hunting jacket works down to 0 degrees. You can have waterproof or multiple layers that are quiet and keep you dry for hours depending on the moisture level.....take your pick. Being warm always trumps being dry.

A balaclava is good advice (as usual from Tomcat) and what I use. I use Rain-X anti fog on the scope....should work for glasses.

Lycanhatehardnipples...onhimthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

OP Please don't think I'm being a smart ass but you really need to get yourself a few catalogs and read the features or the hundreds of different kinds of outerwear. Only you know the conditions you hunt, and whether or not you prefer parka, pants, bibs, coveralls etc. How long are you out? How far do you have to walk to your stand? Are you beating down the briers or is it a leisurely walk through the hardwoods? See what I mean, sorry I couldn't help but I don't think anyone can tell you need-that's a question you need to answer yourself. Good luck and Welcome to PAFOA!
    ETA
    As I was posting this Lycanthrope made good suggestions about layers-I took you original post as you were looking for the shell outerwear.
    One very important point aboutAlways remeber COTTON KILLSavoid it at all costs stick with synthetics or wool, both will wick sweat,away from your body dry quickly;and continue to insulate you should you get wet. If you get cotton wet, it stays wet, it clings to your body sucking up your body heat. Many people have died from hypothermia, not from being cold necesarilly but from being wet. You wouldn't think that you can get hypothermia swimming at the beach in 70 deg water while the air temp is 80 but if you are in the water long enough you will
    Last edited by matty70; October 22nd, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matty70 View Post
    OP Please don't think I'm being a smart ass but you really need to get yourself a few catalogs and read the features or the hundreds of different kinds of outerwear. Only you know the conditions you hunt, and whether or not you prefer parka, pants, bibs, coveralls etc. How long are you out? How far do you have to walk to your stand? Are you beating down the briers or is it a leisurely walk through the hardwoods? See what I mean, sorry I couldn't help but I don't think anyone can tell you need-that's a question you need to answer yourself. Good luck and Welcome to PAFOA!
    ETA
    As I was posting this Lycanthrope made good suggestions about layers-I took you original post as you were looking for the shell outerwear.
    One very important point aboutAlways remeber COTTON KILLSavoid it at all costs stick with synthetics or wool, both will wick sweat,away from your body dry quickly;and continue to insulate you should you get wet. If you get cotton wet, it stays wet, it clings to your body sucking up your body heat. Many people have died from hypothermia, not from being cold necesarilly but from being wet. You wouldn't think that you can get hypothermia swimming at the beach in 70 deg water while the air temp is 80 but if you are in the water long enough you will
    I've got the "layers" concept. I've got new polypropylene thermals including sock liners and a balaclava, wool socks,a wool watch cap and new Lacrosse PAC boots (2000 grams of thinsulate). I'm in the tree stand for about 8 to 10 hours. It's a hardwood forest in Delaware county, NY. I ride my atv to about 100 yards from the stand. I'm looking for advice on the final outerwear (parka, bibs, etc). I've read adds for "gore-tex", "Artic Shield" and a new company called I.D.I. Gear which has a product which is called "Arctic Armor". I want to get something that can handle very cold weather and is waterproof. I've read some customer reviews on the "Redhead" stuff and they're complainng that they're getting soaked (the company claims it waterproof). I don't mind spending the money on good stuff. Again waterproof and withstands very cold weather. What are my choices?

Thanks,

John