Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lock Haven University carry. wtf is this?

So after going to lock haven recently to visit friends, I was told not to carry on their property. I checked into it because it states visitors WILL be detained as well. So I checked into and it contacted the Lock Haven University Police Department's director.

This is the response I got.

Mr.,

Thank you for your email regarding our Weapons policy. Weapon are Strictly Prohibited on Lock Haven University campus. If someone has a "license to carry" in PA and bring a firearm on campus we will ask them to leave or to check their firearm in with Public Safety while they are here. Refusal to leave or check in the firearm will result in a trespassing charge and weapon seized. Those who do not have a "license to carry" will be arrested. There are no exceptions to this policy excluding law enforcement officers.

Hope this helps.

Paul J. Altieri
    Director, Public Safety
    Lock Haven University
    Lock Haven, PA 17745
    (570) 484-2426 Office
    (570) 660-2428 Cell
    Does this seem odd to anyone else? Or bother anyone else? Granted it is their property and their policy. Saying though if the person doesn't have a LTCF WILL be arrested, what the fuck is that? So if you go to one of their outside games and no aware of the policy and open carry and dont have a ltcf, your screwed.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Lock Haven University carry. wtf is this?

Wait...isn't Lock Haven a state owned school and thus public property? Which means preemption should apply.

(Lancaster County)

It is their property they can do as they wish even if they are a public school. Granted my friends have off campus apartments, and if we go on to the campus for food, or for an event I CC and have no issues. It just is a shitty policy.

What if no one is aware of the policy and go to an outdoor event, open carry and does not have a LTCF since it isn't needed. Why should that person be illegally detained, and arrested and have all that shit happen when they could be asked to leave like everyone else.

I have responded back to him, included a copy of the MPOTEC updated.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    Wait...isn't Lock Haven a state owned school and thus public property? Which means preemption should apply.
    I don't think the school is owned by the state. It receives funds from the state but I don't think the state "owns" it. I am sure someone will be along who is more versed on this topic.

If the university is privately owned but supported with state funds, I don't think preemption applies.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lackawanna County)

Do the campus police have full LEO status or can they only detain you until a real LEO shows up? I think they are more security guards and not real LEOs.

In that case when the LEO shows up to "arrest you" they will have to let you go since yoiu had not voiloated any laws! The only think they could do is charge you with treaspass and since you were detained and not allowed to leave that charge would not hold up in court.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Do the campus police have full LEO status or can they only detain you until a real LEO shows up? I think they are more security guards and not real LEOs.

In that case when the LEO shows up to "arrest you" they will have to let you go since yoiu had not voiloated any laws! The only think they could do is charge you with treaspass and since you were detained and not allowed to leave that charge would not hold up in court.
    New response which answers your question. Once I asked what they would be cited for he changed the answer.

He said first "Those who do not have a "license to carry" will be arrested. There are no exceptions to this policy excluding law enforcement officers."

Now said "No one would be arrested for open carry if they we ask to leave and left or check the gun into Public Safety. Like I said if they did not leave then they would be subject to a trespassing charge"

No one would be arrested for open carry if they we ask to leave and left or check the gun into Public Safety. Like I said if they did not leave then they would be subject to a trespassing charge. I think you are reading much more into this. We are all sworn officers and know the law well and have attended all the annual updates. The bottom line is that firearms are not allowed on campus.

Please feel free to discuss this matter further by calling me at the numbers below.

Paul

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I don't think the school is owned by the state. It receives funds from the state but I don't think the state "owns" it. I am sure someone will be along who is more versed on this topic.

If the university is privately owned but supported with state funds, I don't think preemption applies.
    Now that I think of it you are probably right, but I would like to know for sure because my wife is an alumni and from Lock Haven and we go back there to visit often. Regardless, this is just another ploy of the ignorant anti-gun crowd ensuring the next time a shooter shows up at a school all the law abiding students and faculty will be helpless and unarmed. Tell me why mass killings don't happen at gun ranges and gun shows again...hmmmmm.

The idiocy of such thinking is mind numbing.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    Now that I think of it you are probably right, but I would like to know for sure because my wife is an alumni and from Lock Haven and we go back there to visit often. Regardless, this is just another ploy of the ignorant anti-gun crowd ensuring the next time a shooter shows up at a school all the law abiding students and faculty will be helpless and unarmed. Tell me why mass killings don't happen at gun ranges and gun shows again...hmmmmm.

The idiocy of such thinking is mind numbing.
    If they dont know you have it with you, then nothing will happen. When I go in like the spring, I wear a slightly bigger shirt and just CC. other times its fine because of a jacket.

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: Lock Haven University carry. wtf is this?

This may help enlighten...............

LHU Mission Statement
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who We Are
    One of fourteen public universities of The Pennsylvania State System of
    Higher Education
    An affordable, comprehensive educational institution of modest size with an international dimension
    A learning community profoundly dedicated to the positive development of students from diverse backgrounds

Welcome to the Pennsylvania State System
    of Higher Education

The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE), with 14 universities and nearly 117,000 students, is the largest higher education provider in Pennsylvania. PASSHE’s mission is to increase the intellectual wealth of the Commonwealth, to prepare students at all levels for personal and professional success in their lives, and to contribute to the economic, social, and cultural development of Pennsylvania’s communities, the Commonwealth, and the nation.

PASSHE is led by a 20-member Board of Governors that sets broad policy and direction for the System and the universities. PASSHE’s Executive Offices provide advice and support to the Board of Governors, and leadership to our universities as we work to harness the power of public higher education for the benefit and prosperity of all in the Commonwealth.

Regards,

Founding Father

(York County)

If it's called Public Safety, it's pretty much guaranteed that they are just security guards. I know someone who goes to York College and they call it Public Safety as well. They want people to think they are actual LEOs, they carry sidearms and tasers, issue parking tickets on campus, etc., but in the student information packets it always refers to them as campus security, and unless you are a student the most they can do is detain you until the police arrive. Even then depending on the circumstances they would probably be looking at a kidnapping/ false imprisonment lawsuit.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast