Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Anyone got a sand blasting setup?

I need to sand blast one of my FALs and was hoping maybe someone had a cabinet I could use?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Anyone got a sand blasting setup?

I don't have a cabinet or air compressor but I do have a gun and hopper. You're welcome to borrow it if you can piece together the other items. (It takes a pretty big compressor to run a sandblaster.)
    For a one time use you might get by with a cardboard box, isn't ideal but it'll get the job done. Or for that matter if you don't want to reclaim the blasting media just use goggles, dust mask, gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Work outside or in an open garage bay.
    Blasting media isn't very expensive. You don't want to use regular playbox sand, get something specifically for the job. I have some media to get you started, it's just taking up space, I don't care if it doesn't get reclaimed.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

I might take you up on that!

I got the shop, so air is not a problem, or well I don't think it will be anyways. Where does one find media around here to blast? I got a lot of the big shit off what I a blasting, but it will definitely need a blast yet.

PS> Check PM and also check email!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    I might take you up on that!

Where does one find media around here to blast?
    PS> Check PM and also check email!

MSC in Lickdale has all media types;

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000113240703
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Lebanon County)

The last time I bought media I got it from either Lowe's or Home Depot, but they didn't have much to choose from. It was coarse but that was good for the project at hand. Are you aware of how aggressive sandblasting can be and what kind of finish it leaves? I've never blasted with finer or less aggressive media like glass beads, walnut, corncob, soda, etc...
    Exactly what is your desired outcome and why is blasting your preferred method? Might there be other ways to achieve the same outcome? Chemicals may be a solution. Paint stripper, hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid and lye are all pretty aggressive at removing stubborn finishes and they're real cheap and easy to get. Brake fluid might even do it for you. Or maybe you want to end up with a textured/rough finish? If you want to try chemicals let me know, I have some of the afore mentioned supplies on hand and you're welcome to them.
    If sandblasting is indeed the way you want to go there is a more convenient option you might want to consider, I did this myself several years ago (but not with gun parts) even though I had a sandblaster of my own. (You have to consider how lazy I am and how I'm always looking for a better/easier way to do things).Take it to someone and have them do it for you for a few $$. It probably wouldn't cost more than a bag of media, possibly even less and without the aggravation and mess. Just make sure you communicate very clearly with them exactly what you want and what the final outcome should be. If you're having a barrel done make sure you plug it properly to protect the crown, chamber and breech face. Just covering something with masking tape is insufficient and telling them to avoid blasting a certain part is real risky, too many people can't follow instructions and/or find a way to misunderstand even the simplest of instructions.
    Possibilities could be:
    Sand Masters Glass Etching Studio, 310 S. 9th St., Lebanon.
    Precision Paint And Media Blasting. 41 Landings Drive, Annville.
    Stauffers Sandblasting1031 Kutztown Road, Myerstown.
    Or maybe someone who does memorials, headstones, grave markers, and the like.
    Ficco Memorials Inc. 240 Chestnut St., Lebanon.
    I think there's another place that does gravestones on Maple Street down toward Lincoln Ave.
    Make a few phone calls, get some prices and make sure they don't have a problem with working on gun parts. Some may be shy about it due to fear of liability, some may be anti-gun and refuse. (or worse yet, accept the job and deliberately do something a little bit wrong).

(Lebanon County)

I have 2 like the ones in these links.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_583_583

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6624_200136624

Mauser has some good advice on blasting. It also takes a lot of air as mentioned, my 30 gallon compressor does not keep up. I have never done anything other than car parts with mine. I have been meaning to find a rough looking shooter to try it out on. The cabinet is not very big so the barrel might not fit in. Let me know if you want to use them.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

Blasting is needed before parkerizing, any chemical paint stripper will cause the phosphates to not react evenly or correctly.

Also I wouldn't blast until right before putting your parts into the tank as the bare metal will surface rust very quickly just from the humidity in the air.

Also be careful about handling the parts, any contact with your skin will leave oil behind that will also react with the process, having a hand print visible in your finished product isn't the appearance most people desire.

Unfortunately I'm a bit far to offer to loan you my tools, but any questions I'll be glad to help.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBi11 View Post
    Blasting is needed before parkerizing, any chemical paint stripper will cause the phosphates to not react evenly or correctly.

Also I wouldn't blast until right before putting your parts into the tank as the bare metal will surface rust very quickly just from the humidity in the air.

Also be careful about handling the parts, any contact with your skin will leave oil behind that will also react with the process, having a hand print visible in your finished product isn't the appearance most people desire.

Unfortunately I'm a bit far to offer to loan you my tools, but any questions I'll be glad to help.

That would be a pretty good drive to borrow a tool.

Thanks for the insight, now I have an idea about where Fr0sty might be going with the project.

Since you offered to answer questions, let me have a go at it:

Is Parkerizing something you've done yourself?
    How coarse or fine do you want the finish to be and what is the recommended media to get that finish?
    How do you plug the barrel?

Should a handle be somehow incorporated into the barrel or can the barrel be handled with gloves?
    Latex, rubber, cotton, leather? Maybe boxing gloves? (JK)

Seems like Fr0sty should be asking these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    I have 2 like the ones in these links.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_583_583

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6624_200136624

Mauser has some good advice on blasting. It also takes a lot of air as mentioned, my 30 gallon compressor does not keep up. I have never done anything other than car parts with mine. I have been meaning to find a rough looking shooter to try it out on. The cabinet is not very big so the barrel might not fit in. Let me know if you want to use them.
    For something as small as a gun barrel a 30 gallon compressor tank should be sufficient as long as you're patient. Just take an occasional break if needed so the compressor isn't running constantly.

I used Aluminum Oxide for blasting media.
    Rubber or latex gloves recommended.
    Stainless steel tank [or for small stuff you can use a glass pot].
    Thermometer to check solution temperature [around 190° or so]
    I found that hanging my parts keeps the solution circulating all around well.
    Rubber plugs for your barrel work well, and piercing the plug cross ways with bailing wire makes a nice way to handle it.
    Oil your parts ASAP after to keep them from flash oxidizing.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Lebanon County)

Thanks for the info MrBi11.

Now, where is Fr0sty?

HELLO!

Are we on the right track here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast