Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: Modifications for precision rifles

Tomcatt, you mentioned writing some more info on things like stocks. I just got a 700 in 308 and was wondering what were some of the things that "I" could do to help improve the accuracy of the rifle. So far I have ensured that the stock is not touching the barrel (I got the Tactical with the floppy Houge stock) by opening up the forward most part of the stock, everywhere else I could slip a bill under and slide freely back and forth (I did this in the shooting position with me behind the rifle to emulate any weight I may introduce to the bipod).

I have a feeling that my rings are too high because I don't have much of a cheek weld. I like the set up though (rings/mount/scope) and have been researching aftermarket stocks and am wondering if I could make an adjustable (comb?) by slicing out the top of the stock (picture a Bell Carlson adjustable) and making a double bar for up/down adjustment. (I'm a tinkerer)
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Tomcatt, you mentioned writing some more info on things like stocks. I just got a 700 in 308 and was wondering what were some of the things that "I" could do to help improve the accuracy of the rifle. So far I have ensured that the stock is not touching the barrel (I got the Tactical with the floppy Houge stock) by opening up the forward most part of the stock, everywhere else I could slip a bill under and slide freely back and forth (I did this in the shooting position with me behind the rifle to emulate any weight I may introduce to the bipod).

I have a feeling that my rings are too high because I don't have much of a cheek weld. I like the set up though (rings/mount/scope) and have been researching aftermarket stocks and am wondering if I could make an adjustable (comb?) by slicing out the top of the stock (picture a Bell Carlson adjustable) and making a double bar for up/down adjustment. (I'm a tinkerer)
    Yes sir, I had/have been intending to finish this out and have parts of it already written. I will get on top of that soon and post it up for you. I just got a bit distracted and never got much more feedback on if other people were finding it very helpful. I realize it's pretty specialized and not something the general shooting population is interested in, but I just didn't know. What you'd probably be interested in doing is bedding the action. As long as the barrel is free floating (which you've verified), then besides "feel" the performance of the rifle won't be effected much by the "floppy stock". Chopping on the stock and making an adjustable cheek piece is possible, but sometimes impossible depending on the stock. A lot of the time it will depend on the construction of the stock, if it's hollow, what the fill material is, etc. If the comb is a problem, there's a couple of MUCH easier and clean/neat looking ways to fix it, than trying to saw on the stock and make an adjustable cheek piece. There are adjustable saddles that you can put on your rifle that basically only take drilling 2 bolt holes properly through the stock, and then you're good to go. I'll post that up shortly, I've been sick and it's a little later so I'm gonna crash soon. I'll have more for you soon buddy.

(York County)

Cool, I didn't mean to pressure you Take your time. It's funny, when I first lurked around here, I remember reading your thread (this one) and thought to myself, thats cool, but I'm not really into that. And here I am, setting up a long range rifle.

I could only plink at 100yds for so long before I wanted something more challenging.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Allegheny County)

This is a great thread. Long range precision shooting is a whole new world to me, and my wallet.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Great thread!! I've been both a gunsmith and a distance shooter for 20+ years. Well done TC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123