Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default chronograph vent

so when you reload sooner or later the need to check your speed comes up. i've made it to that point. lately i've been looking for one, and as it turns out they're pretty easy to find. however what i have not been able to locate is the damn tripod to set the thing on.
    been looking over several online vendors, and they have several...many even...to pick from. they even have at the bottom of the page, lists of other items that "i may find useful", sun shades, spare rods, ac adpters, printers the works...but not one tripod. read the text of the description....."blah blah blah, just mount to a tripod and your ready"...so where's the damn mount??? none show a pic and none mention one included.
    thought maybe this is something i better take care of in person. a trip to cabales showed more of the same. plenty of units...no mounts. a quick scan around the immediate area revealed more denied.
    i pretty much figured out any camera tripod will work. but i'm really a one stop shopper at heart, and would think that even though they are intended for cameras, if you sell something that needs a mount, you should sell the mount too. i mean really is it this difficult?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: chronograph vent

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    so when you reload sooner or later the need to check your speed comes up. i've made it to that point. lately i've been looking for one, and as it turns out they're pretty easy to find. however what i have not been able to locate is the damn tripod to set the thing on.
    been looking over several online vendors, and they have several...many even...to pick from. they even have at the bottom of the page, lists of other items that "i may find useful", sun shades, spare rods, ac adpters, printers the works...but not one tripod. read the text of the description....."blah blah blah, just mount to a tripod and your ready"...so where's the damn mount??? none show a pic and none mention one included.
    thought maybe this is something i better take care of in person. a trip to cabales showed more of the same. plenty of units...no mounts. a quick scan around the immediate area revealed more denied.
    i pretty much figured out any camera tripod will work. but i'm really a one stop shopper at heart, and would think that even though they are intended for cameras, if you sell something that needs a mount, you should sell the mount too. i mean really is it this difficult?
    Yeah, you'd think that they would sense the opportunity for extra cash-flow without having to actually tool up and make something - just buy it and resell it. But then, when you buy the tripod yourself, you get exactly what YOU want, and at a price you feel appropriate.

I had taken my $185 Lester Bogen tripod out to the range and set the $89.00 Chrony on it, quite a few times. Then, one day, I shot off one of the stadia, and the following weekend I picked up a Slik tripod at a yardsale for $5.00 which (luckily) I haven't shot (YET!). It works just as well as the other one.

Incidentally, the stadia are replaceable with #9 wire. $2.00/50' at the local hardware store.

If you have a photographic store nearby, you might find a bargain tripod there. The thing is 1/4"x20 thread.

Happy shooting and clocking.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: chronograph vent

I got mine at walmart for I think $15. I'm at the same place you are that I need to know how fast these are going as I would like to make my own carry ammo.

I do have to admit to some fear of shooting the Chrony tho, just one bad / random low shot and all the day's fun is over ;-)