Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Question Help! M-1A scope mount is OFF ALIGNMENT

Help!

I conducted a forum search here and found nothing on this subject, so I am posting.

My M-1A is an awesome rifle, purchased in CA from a good friend who was never able to shoot it. It is awesomely accurate - as any of you who have the M-1a know.

Those of you with gunsmithing skills/ ecperience with M-1A side-mount scope mounts.

Here is the problem: I just installed a Springfield Armory M-1a Third Generation scope mount.... and the damned thing points the scope about 7 degrees to the left! Without the scope you can physically see that the mount it is off center. When I bore sighted it (laser boresite) with the scope at 20 yards, the scope was already about 2 1/2 feet off.... which means that at 600 yards I'm gonna need to lead my target by 3 city blocks. I'm good but I'm not that good.

This is the type of scope mount that has a small block that slides&pins into the stripper clip guide's slot, then mounts with two big fat screws.

I am wondering if this is a problem with the receiver or a problem with knucklehead with the hammer?

FYI - my buddy installed a cheap-ass $15 scope mount that had the exact same problem - pointing the scope to the left. Also - maybe the scope itself is just out of alignment? I thought this but when you can SEE that the damned rail is out of alignment....I highly doubt that is the design.

This mount points to the left - maybe the mount or the receiver is Dianne Feinstein approved??

Appreciate any help from you guys, or links, or comments. Thanks!

I'm going to go hit it with my hammer some more now.

-Lung-
    Last edited by OneLungMcClung; July 12th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Help! M-1A scope mount is OFF ALIGNMENT

Normally, this occurs due to lack of true adherence to one specification for the mounting points on M14-type receivers. The mounts are made to USGI specs usually, Springfield and some others aren't always in spec. It's not unusual for a mount to fit VERY poorly while some drop right on and line up fine, depending on the rifle.

I'd return the mount if possible and go with a Sadlak...they'll custom fit it to your gun.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_custom_sm_fitting.html

Otherwise, you'll probably need a good M14 smith that works on mounts to make them fit. You may be part of the problem in how you installed it, but I doubt it. More often than not, it's due to the above-mentioned issue.

Default Re: Help! M-1A scope mount is OFF ALIGNMENT

Who is the manufacturer of the M1A? Chinese, by any chance?

This guy has a good reputation:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/