Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sako p94s

(Northampton County)

Default Sako p94s

I have a sako P94S 22 LR. I was wondering if anyone could give me some more info on this gun. I took it to the allentown guns show this past weekend and most of the dealers thought it must be new, but it was given to me by my grandfather who had past away in 2001. So if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. I was looking through gunbroker and auctionarms and have only come across a few but none have the iron sights as this one. Here are some pics.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Sako p94s

Matt,
    The P94 is more often than not called the "Finnfire". Yours looks like quite a gem! Most of the wood on these rifles is very plain. The sights aren't necessarily rare, but you don't come across them very often. I wish mine had sights.

Some people complain about all the plastic used in the Finnfire (trigger guard, bolt shroud, and magazine), but it's a well-built rifle. Talk about accurate!! With top-quality ammo, a stock P94s can do 1/4 to 3/8 inch or so at 50 yards.

The barrel is a clamp-in type, and it can easily be replaced with a Lilja drop-in if you decide you would like to compete in benchrest matches. Benchrest stocks are available, too. Jewell no longer makes a Finnfire trigger, but a Remington Jewell can be modified to work. The factory trigger can easily be adjusted down to about 2 pounds (see the manual).

Are you looking to sell this rifle? If it's LNIB, don't take any less than $800 for it. If it's like new without the box and papers, it should fetch at least $700. If you sell it to me, you should only ask about $100 . Seriously though, if you ever do want to "part it out", I'd be interested in the barrel.

Search either Benchrest Central or Rimfire Central for a lot of good info on the Finnfire. If you decide to sell it, you'd likely get more interest on one of those sites. Keep in mind you could try selling the barrel, stock, and action separately. Enjoy!

Dan

(Northampton County)

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I was planning on selling it. It is too nice for me to take out hunting and having 3 kids I could use the money for other guns they'll more likely use. I really haven't seen a lot with the iron sights either. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, it is of great help.

Thanks again,
    Matt

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwags View Post
    Dan,

Thanks for the info. I was planning on selling it. It is too nice for me to take out hunting and having 3 kids I could use the money for other guns they'll more likely use. I really haven't seen a lot with the iron sights either. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, it is of great help.

Thanks again,
    Matt
    If you have it, keep it. They will go WAY UP in values!!!