Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Springfield Mags?

recently picked up a Springfield Loaded SS and got that Loaded Coupon with it. I was going to order a bunch of mags, maybe a t-shirt, etc... I here a lot of people say to just get Wilson Combat Mags (#47D I believe). I can get the Springfield ones for $9 each with this coupon. Is it worth paying $30 per WC mag over the $9 Springfield ones? In what way are they better?

Also, if any of you had the loaded coupon, what good deals are there other than magazines? Range bag sounds nice, I can only use this thing once!

Default Re: Springfield Mags?

I bought the same gun this year and bought a bunch of 7rd mags and a couple 10rd mags. They are OK, not great but they get the job done. I think the 10rd mags are actually nicer. Early on I did have some FF's and stovepipes maybe 1 every 75-100 rds. I noticed this happened more with the blued steel mags. I did polish the feed ramp but I think the biggest thing was lube. I think 1911's need a decent amount of gun oil to run right. Try racking the slide, then spray a little gun oil on the ralis and try it again, it's like butter. The slide to frame fit is pretty tight. After about 2-300 rds my gun was fine. I think I'm at around 500rds without a problem now. For self defense or serious competition I would absolutely buy the Wilson mags but for general shooting the Springfield mags are OK. Hope this helps. God damn I love my Springfield.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

Thanks, I just got done figuring out how to take it apart. Oiled it up and it is much smoother to rack it now. I may just get a few 7 rounders and some 10 rounders too for the range. I wish they offered stainless 7 round mags as well. I'd pay $10 for them instead of $9, lol.

I'll be sure to order 3 WC mags for self defense use once I get comfortable with carrying it. When trying to unload the Springfield mag, the last round catches on the follower. Hope that doesn't happen when shooting!

(Lebanon County)

recently got a Springer Mil Spec; got the 2 factory mags and 3 ParaOrdinance PXT mags for $12 on clearance; I have 550 rounds (mixed fmj brands and hollowpoint loads) with intermittent FTF's (total of 6 so far) but mine seems related to feed ramp (frame and barrel) geometry diagnosed by someone who is a 1911 afficianado who works part time @ Gander Mountain in Harrisburg;

I started with a 'cleaning' and 'polishing' using a lead away cloth followed by Flitz; gonna put another 150-200 rounds thru it in the coming days; if I have 2 or more FTF's again then I'm gonna send it back to Springfield and have the ramps radiused properly...seems that I got a 'tight' gun also, just not in the slide-to-frame fit

Quote Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
    recently got a Springer Mil Spec; got the 2 factory mags and 3 ParaOrdinance PXT mags for $12 on clearance; I have 550 rounds (mixed fmj brands and hollowpoint loads) with intermittent FTF's (total of 6 so far) but mine seems related to feed ramp (frame and barrel) geometry diagnosed by someone who is a 1911 afficianado who works part time @ Gander Mountain in Harrisburg;

I started with a 'cleaning' and 'polishing' using a lead away cloth followed by Flitz; gonna put another 150-200 rounds thru it in the coming days; if I have 2 or more FTF's again then I'm gonna send it back to Springfield and have the ramps radiused properly...seems that I got a 'tight' gun also, just not in the slide-to-frame fit
    Every time I shoot mine I always spray a little oil on the guide rails and the gun has been flawless ever since. You have to figure, it's a lot of metal on metal rubbing and since it's machined pretty tight it need some lube.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.