Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Boo Boo & Trauma Kits

Being a part of the personal protection and preparedness industry in addition to perusing the forums in search of new and useful gear, I see a lack of first aid information that is easily digested. It seems that most stuff is either written for a Delta Force Medic or a Mommy tending to a scraped knee. When you add this to selecting a pre-made kit or putting your own together, things can become overwhelming.

In the beginning of every MCS class, we go through introductions during which I ask who my first responders, EMTs, paramedics, and doctors are. Then, I ask who has kits with them. This is always important stuff to know in a group. During our last Combative Pistol Course in Indianapolis, I was pleased to have about four students with kits within arms reach.

We believe in overall preparedness and the need for individuals being able to deal with problems from falling through a plate glass window, to dealing with a violent attack. We also believe in trickle down training. This means that all students should be able to teach the principles of what they learn to others they care about. This is especially true when it comes to first aid.

I recently used a rainy weekend to check all first aid kits, including my personal kit that rides in the Bag of Evil.

All kits are basic and include items that will let the people that are most likely to use them in the situations that will most likely occur in the enviroment.

Household Boo Boo Kit- small plastic box with things like burn gel, band aids, and Sting Eze. This kit is kept in kitchen.

Household Trauma Kit- contains some of the same things as the Boo Boo kit with the addition of lots of blood stoppers, 4X4s, Kerlix, and ice packs.

Mobile Family Kit- this is a larger kit that combines the contents of the household Boo Boo and Trauma kits to manage emergencies on the go. The family kit is adorned with lots of red parachute cord so as to be identified by anyone set to retrieve it.

All kits contain 3 pair of nitrile gloves packaged in a small Zip-Lock bag. The driver and passenger side door pockets of all vehicles also contain 3 pair of gloves packaged the same way.

The last kit is my personal one. Having a higher level of training than my wife and kids, some things are included in mine that are not in the other kits. My FAK is always in the Bag of Evil, which is never more that a few feet from me. My kit is contained inside of an Eagle Industries Shaving Kit bag. It too is broken into a Trauma and Boo Boo Kit packed in two Zip-Lock bags.

Trauma Kit contains-

* Asherman Chest Seal
    * CAT Tournaquit
    * Quik Clot
    * Kerlix

Boo Boo Kit contains-

* Bandaids
    * Steristrips
    * Neosporin
    * Tape
    * Dermabond
    * Tagederm
    * Burn Gel

Obviously missing are OTC and RX meds that are carried in the front of my pack with other EDC stuff. When possible, I try to pack individual packets of pills instead of big bottles and liquids. The bottles take up valuable space and liquids dry with constant temperature changes. Some of what I carry includes:

* Decongestant
    * Pain reliever
    * Antidiarrheal pills
    * Antacids

We also have bandaids stashed all over the place. You can set a good example for your kids and make them feel safer by not having to search for a band aid. This promotes overall self reliance.

I am not the burning book of emergency medicine and this article is not meant to be an end all be all guide to FAKs. It is intended to provoke thought and conversation about first aid skills and gear for everyone regardless of their level of likely need and interest.

Starting in 2010 every MCS class, regardless of subject, will include a block on management of traumatic injuries.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Boo Boo & Trauma Kits

Good idea with the gloves. I keep a first aid kit in both vehicles. It contains items that are useful with humans as well as our dogs.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

Do you keep something like benadril for allergies in there also?

(Luzerne County)

Yes.......
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

Moleskin
    Sunscreen
    Iodine
    antiseptic wipes
    Splinter lance
    Motrin
    Aspirin
    Tylenol
    Electrolyte
    Antacid
    Decongestant
    Antibiotic ointment
    Ivy wipes
    Chap stick
    Band-Aids (large, small medium, knuckle)
    Scissors
    Tweezers ( metal, Plastic)
    Water purification Tablets
    2x2 Gauze
    4x4 Gauze
    Q-tips
    Eye Patch ( gauze)
    Neosporin+Pain
    Eyewash
    Tape ( medical
    Sting Relief
    Toilet paper
    Candle
    Matches/ Lighter
    Rubber gloves
    Tongue Depressor
    Cold/Ice Pack
    Fire Starter
    Benadryl
    Glow Stick
    This is what is in my first aid kit for hiking/car. Any other suggestions to add to what is there.

(Lehigh County)

I also carry tampons and maxi pads in my CLS/first aid kit. They are clean, absorbant and tampons fit very nicely into bullet holes. (I hope to never have to do that again) They then expand to help control/stop bleeding.

My Bug out Bag also has: (in addition to the stuff already listed)
    1. SAM splint
    2. 2 500ml Saline
    3. 2 500ml Lactated Ringers
    4. multiple sizes of catheters (and tubing for IV fluids)
    5. clear plastic wrap (for use with the tampons and maxi pads)
    6. 1 Ranger Rocket
    7. 2 pair trauma shears
    8. Box of safety razors
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

Just wanna throw an FYI out there. Be careful about medicating people other than loved ones. Its like practicing medicine without a license. Usually no problems, but sometimes things happen and courts get involved. Keep this in mind when rendering medical aide to people in non emergency situations.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    Just wanna throw an FYI out there. Be careful about medicating people other than loved ones. Its like practicing medicine without a license. Usually no problems, but sometimes things happen and courts get involved. Keep this in mind when rendering medical aide to people in non emergency situations.
    Good point....I should have added that disclaimer.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(York County)

What is a Ranger Rocket?
    My BOB has additional items as well. But thanks for reminding me of the tampons I needed to add that for the wife anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    PA has a good Samaritan law

http://www.concentric.net/~Maxfax/files/law2.htm

oops.. just read where you stated "non emergency situations", sorry
    But I'll leave link anyway for others to know.

JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE (TITLE 42)
    CHAPTER 83. PARTICULAR RIGHTS AND IMMUNITIES
    § 8331. Medical good Samaritan civil immunity.

(a) General rule.--Any physician or any other practitioner of the healing arts or any registered nurse, licensed by any state.....

{SNIP}

§8332. Nonmedical good Samaritan civil immunity.

(a) General rule.--Any person who renders emergency care, first aid or rescue at the scene of an emergency, or moves the person receiving such care, first aid and rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, shall not be liable to such person for any civil damages as a result of any acts or omissions in rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue, or moving the person receiving the same to a hospital or other place of medical care, except any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or any grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm to the person receiving the emergency care, first aid or rescue or being moved to a hospital or other place of medical care.

(b) Exceptions.--

1. This section shall not relieve a driver of an ambulance or other emergency or rescue vehicle from liability arising from operation or use of such vehicle.
    2. In order for any person to receive the benefit of the exemption from civil liability provided for in subsection (a), he shall be, at the time of rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue or moving the person receiving emergency care, first aid or rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, the holder of a current certificate evidencing the successful completion of a course in first aid, advanced life saving or basic life support sponsored by the American National Red Cross or the American Heart Association or an equivalent course of instruction approved by the Department of Health in consultation with a technical committee of the Pennsylvania Emergency Health Services Council and must be performing techniques and employing procedures consistent with the nature and level of the training for which the certificate has been issued.

§ 8332.1. Manager, coach, umpire or referee and nonprofit association negligence standard.

{Snip}
    Last edited by MrBi11; October 18th, 2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: saw "non emergency situations"

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast