Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Taurusarmed.net promotes censorship

I am a member of a few gun-owner forums, as most of us probably are. I had posted some pics of a holster I made for a co-worker's Judge. The same ones I posted on this site. Another member had posed some questions about it. He liked it, asked who made it, and where he could get one. I replied that I had made it and if he was interested to send me a PM.
    I was contacted by the administrator that my post was to be censored because a sponsor of the site was a holster-maker out of Texas, and it wasn't fair for another member to take potential business away from them. I replied that I was only responding to the other member's questions and he must not think too highly of his sponsor if an amateur holster-maker like myself was going to destory that comany's customer base.
    Well let's say he didn't like that. I received another message from him and quickly replied that I didn't agree with his views and to feel free to remove me from his forum.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Taurusarmed.net promotes censorship

Unfortunately some good forums have turned into nothing more than a way to make money.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Monroe County)

I have posted my work on forums who's members are professional holstermakers. They actually have supported my work and given me lots of pointers. They are confident enough to understand that the art needs to be passed along regardless of anything else. I guess it just how some sites want to run.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    Unfortunately some good forums have turned into nothing more than a way to make money.
    Just how do you think they earn the money to keep the forums online? Advertising and donations.

It's expensive to keep a set of popular forums online. I won't begrudge the administrator at Taurusarmed.net if he tries to control business dealings through his forums. It's his property that is being used. He probably has a contract with his advertisers as well.

My suggestion is to get the prospective buyer's email and skip communicating through those forums.

EDIT:: I'm also a member over there though I don't post much. I gotta say.... Nice holster man!
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; October 18th, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Just how do you think they earn the money to keep the forums online? Advertising and donations.

It's expensive to keep a set of popular forums online. I won't begrudge the administrator at Taurusarmed.net if he tries to control business dealings through his forums. It's his property that is being used. He probably has a contract with his advertisers as well.

My suggestion is to get the prospective buyer's email and skip communicating through those forums.

EDIT:: I'm also a member over there though I don't post much. I gotta say.... Nice holster man!
    Yeah but it's kind of jank.

Like someone who makes holsters for a hobby (not for a business) is going to take business away from a sponsor?

That's like saying some home garage mechanic stands a chance of competing against a formal garage - especially when the home mechanic probably has a day job and isnt insured etc.

It just doesnt wash. That would be like dan saying we couldnt post about gun shows or places to buy stuff online other than the VF show and brownell's.

(Montgomery County)

their house, their say, just like here.

censorship is between you and your government, a privately owned website doesn't censor you, but they can control what you use the site for, and how you use it... just like you can control what people do in your house.

its annoying, but you voted with your feet, and went elsewhere.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    I am a member of a few gun-owner forums, as most of us probably are. I had posted some pics of a holster I made for a co-worker's Judge. The same ones I posted on this site. Another member had posed some questions about it. He liked it, asked who made it, and where he could get one. I replied that I had made it and if he was interested to send me a PM.
    I was contacted by the administrator that my post was to be censored because a sponsor of the site was a holster-maker out of Texas, and it wasn't fair for another member to take potential business away from them. I replied that I was only responding to the other member's questions and he must not think too highly of his sponsor if an amateur holster-maker like myself was going to destory that comany's customer base.
    Well let's say he didn't like that. I received another message from him and quickly replied that I didn't agree with his views and to feel free to remove me from his forum.

Well... Forums are private property, which you decide to be a part of.

Their home... Their rules.

Feel free to leave.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    their house, their say, just like here.

censorship is between you and your government, a privately owned website doesn't censor you, but they can control what you use the site for, and how you use it... just like you can control what people do in your house.

its annoying, but you voted with your feet, and went elsewhere.
    Not to mention private websites can be held liable for damages and losses due to member posts.

If you bad mouth a holster maker, and he loses business, the website can be sued because of the bad talker's words. Websites like Myspace and Craiglist have learn this the hard way and now employ measures to filter out offensive and damaging posts and blogs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    I understand you weren't trying to move in a business but the problem is that there are hundreds who do exactly that. use forums as free advertising while the medium (the forum) gets nothing.

In this case he has a vendor helping shoulder the cost of the forum... he should do everything possible to protect that relationship, no doubt about it.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

You should contact the sponsor and make them aware that the forum administrator took that action against you. It is likely that the forum owner only perceived that they would get in trouble and was being inappropriately pro-active. I doubt the sponsor requested the forum owner "protect their investment" by censoring and deleting forum users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast