Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Walther P22, not too impressed

took her out today and put around 300 through her and even benchrested couldn't acheive anything smaller than a 5 inch group at 15 yards. maybe the ammo is to blame. I was using American eagle high velocity 40gr solid lead in the red box

Default Re: Walther P22, not too impressed

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    took her out today and put around 300 through her and even benchrested couldn't acheive anything smaller than a 5 inch group at 15 yards. maybe the ammo is to blame. I was using American eagle high velocity 40gr solid lead in the red box
    I've used that ammo in a P22 as well with the same results. I've also used that ammo in a Ruger MKIII with 1.5"/2" groups at 20 yards.

I personally just think it's the P22. Not the first complaint I've heard about it. Even after shooting it for myself and getting the same results as the reviews.

(Butler County)

I get a better grouping with the CCI mini mags.

Lately, I have been having a lot of FTF if I don't use these.

The gun used to eat anything, now it's acting like a princess.

(Chester County)

The ammo isn't going to make too much of a difference. The P22 isn't made for target shooting. It's made more for, "center of mass" type shooting.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    IMO..I think American Eagle is an under estimated ammo. I have a Remington VSSF in 223...consistent 1/2 in groups @ 100yds & right under an inch at 300. I like it so much I have at least 40,000 rds in variable calibers. I also have about as much in Federal Gold Metal which will shoot no less than 1/8---To---1/4 better. Now in competetion that's a lot, in every day shooting? Now worth worrying about. Mine has a Leupold || Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm

I'm just defending the ammo cause I get very good results with it & it's cheap
    Last edited by Ronnies111; October 18th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Allegheny County)

Is the thread protector thing torqued down all the way? Mine would unscrew while firing and mess up my groups. I put some locktite on there and its holding, for now.

(Chester County)

Mine is not as accurate as a friend of mines, so they must vary. Don't think mine is as bad as yours but it is not really a 15 yard pistol anyway, more for blasting away cheaply. It is my wife's favorite gun, it looks more like a "tactical" pistol than a target type like a MkII or browning, makes an easy suppressor host, and is not bad for teaching kids b/c it looks cool (which they enjoy) and has low recoil. Take it for what it is, and I don't think the accuracy is unreasonable for all the other things it offers.

I've got a P22 too, and while it is great for going bang, it is not the most accurate gun I have ever owned. There are two main reasons I keep it. One, it takes a can, and two, it is a good size for the grandchildren to hang onto when they come to shoot. If I want accuracy, there are a number of other .22 pistols out there that will fit the bill.

(Monroe County)

the P22 is not made to be accurate. its made for fun, and for training.

it gives you the feel of a modern pistol without having to spend a lot of money on expensive higher caliber rounds.

when i bought mine, i put that winchester 555 pack bulk ammo thru it with only a few hangups. not very accurate stuff, and it does not always feed right. had better luck with the federal solid nose ammo but still not the best. CCI Minimags are what it likes best, but with the amount i shoot i cant afford to feed the beast all the time, so i make do with what ammo i have. if it fails to eject or feed right i just deal with it.

i can get 4" groups if im doing good at about 20 feet, a bit better with the CCI ammo. its kind of hit or miss hitting bowling pins at 30 yards but i get them about 75% of the time.

if you bought the gun for accuracy, you went barking up the wrong tree. its a gun best used to eat ammo, keep small kids happy, and to train new shooters on.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lackawanna County)

I also just bought one of these 2 days ago. I put a quick 100rnds of the same ammo you were shooting and was actually really happy with how well it shot. I was shooting 15yds and was keeping a really tight group...didnt measure it as it was snowing and sleeting on me! But I bought it for all the above mentioned reasons.....I have plenty of expensive pistols to shoot...needed a cheaper 22 to shoot but had to "look" good to go with my GSG....and to train the females on because they can actually rack the slide on these. BTW, my best friend bought one the same day...Both got ours from Advance Arms in Pittston, thanks chris!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast