Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Reloading: What are the safe variations from load data

I finally got all the components and tools, and made my first attempt to reload 9mm today. I just loaded 20 rounds, but I had to 'fudge' a little, which makes me more than a little nervous. I'd rather not have my gun blow up in my hands.

First off, Hogdon's load data site didn't have data on my bullets. I got 125 gr. lead round nose. they list 124 gr lead round nose. I used the same data, is this ok?

Also, their min and max for the 124 gr is 4.0-4.7. I was shooting for 4.0, but weighing the charges (on the piece of shit lee safety scale) it looked like it varied from about 3.9-4.1. Is this ok?

Same thing with C.O.L., they list 1.169. I adjusted partway thru, and I'd say I varied from 1.165-1.172, is this variation alright? Should I just pull them and start over?

I guess what I'm getting at, is what are the maximum tolerances where it is still considered safe?

Default Re: Reloading: What are the safe variations from load data

U should be fine using the 124gr load data thats what i used for my lead bullets. Don't make to many at first cuz u wanna make sure your gun likes the load. I know my ruger needs a hot load to cycle the action.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I finally got all the components and tools, and made my first attempt to reload 9mm today. I just loaded 20 rounds, but I had to 'fudge' a little, which makes me more than a little nervous. I'd rather not have my gun blow up in my hands.

First off, Hogdon's load data site didn't have data on my bullets. I got 125 gr. lead round nose. they list 124 gr lead round nose. I used the same data, is this ok?

Also, their min and max for the 124 gr is 4.0-4.7. I was shooting for 4.0, but weighing the charges (on the piece of shit lee safety scale) it looked like it varied from about 3.9-4.1. Is this ok?

Same thing with C.O.L., they list 1.169. I adjusted partway thru, and I'd say I varied from 1.165-1.172, is this variation alright? Should I just pull them and start over?

I guess what I'm getting at, is what are the maximum tolerances where it is still considered safe?
    124, 125, just no difference, because the bearing surgace of the bullet in the barrel is just about the same. OK for same data - generally.

Using ANY scale (the much-maligned LEE is surprisingly accurate when used accurately) you should be able to drop an exact amount on the pan - adjust your technique to measure accurate powder charges, and this takes consistent practice. The error is less scale than it is operator. If you get a long narrow tube (like a 30-30 rifle case, a plastic soda straw, or somesuch) and put three or four grains of powder in that, and set your powder measure to throw a charge that is about .2 gr UNDER your desired charge weight, then you can add to the pan from a very inexpensive "powder trickler" until your charge weight is spot on. (Or you can buy a powder trickler, RCBS makes a fine one, as do other manufacturers).

Alternatively, you can get a powder measure like the "RCBS Lil' Dandy" which has a set of rotors with precision drilled cavities that will measure out accurate charges for a variety of weights. The cavities in these rotors are sized on the order of the Lee powder dippers. YOU have to be consistent to get consistent charges from the dippers, whereas the "Lil' Dandy" makes consistency more mechanical, more repeatable. Many people find this powder measure more than adequate for loading pistol ammunition, particularly after they have arrived at a standard load.

You have to be observant with what you read off the web; in this case, COL. The 1.169 you state is the SAAMI MAX overall length. A few thousandths over that and your loads may not function properly in most magazines.

You need to get a Lyman 49th edition Relaoding Handbook and read it thoroughly. It lists OAL for 120 CLRN as 1.065" - However, bullet forms being what they are, one 124 gr bullet will vary somewhat from another 125 gr cast bullet by a few thousandths. Two different 120 gr bullets list OAL of 1.065 and 1.110.

"OAL measurement" is a simple way to regulate the internal volume of the case after seating bullet, before firing. 9mm operates at fairly high internal pressures (29,000-32,000 CUP) and reducing the internal volume by just a few tens of thousandths will alter the pressure significantly. A couple of thousandth, either way, when you are not operating at maximum loads will not cause undue problems, but as you approach maximum, it becomes far more significant.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Bucks County)

I adjusted partway thru, and I'd say I varied from 1.165-1.172, is this variation alright?
    This is the only place I see a problem. 9MM parabellum has a max OAL 1.169. The long ones may not fit in you magazine or chamber properly.

Do not try to chamber them unless you are at a range or the barrel is removed. If they get stuck in the chamber of an assembled pistol, there might be only one way to remove it.

When I am working up a new MAX OAL for a pistol round, I do it with the barrel removed. I start with the Max OAL (eg 1.169 for 9mm parabellum) for the cartridge and drop it in the barrel. I reduce the OAL until it will drop all the way in and not get stuck, that is the MAX OAL for that cartridge in that barrel. If the space in the cartridge for the powder is reduced from standard data, be very careful and work you loads up slow. Some powders need the air space when you start approaching max loads. I have one bullet in 45 ACP that I will not load due to the reduced volume in the cartridge.
    Last edited by Jim1911; October 17th, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Columbia County)

ham385
    I think everyone has all the bases covered and gave you some good info. Congrats into getting into reloading. What kind of setup do you have (type/brand of press, etc.)?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take the barrel off when I try the longer ones. If they don't fit, then I'll pull them.

Max, I went cheap. Got a lee turret kit. For now, I'm just looking at reloading 9mm and .223. I'm just looking for cheap plinking ammo for the most part. Lately, my biggest constraint is time to get out to shoot in the day. Once the kids go to bed at night, i have plenty of time to reload though.

(Lebanon County)

a beam scale almost can't screw up.
    the varying charges almost certainly came from your despensor....if it's the lee perfect powder measure, i'll bet money that's where your issue is.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take the barrel off when I try the longer ones. If they don't fit, then I'll pull them.

Under the assumption that the "long ones" and the "short ones" are both the same bullet, with the same powder charge, just not seated as deep.

So: You've already decided that seating some to greater depths is ok, why not just put them back in the seating die and seat them further in? Or did you crimp as well?

Max, I went cheap. Got a lee turret kit. For now, I'm just looking at reloading 9mm and .223. I'm just looking for cheap plinking ammo for the most part. Lately, my biggest constraint is time to get out to shoot in the day. Once the kids go to bed at night, i have plenty of time to reload though.
    I have a Lee Turret kit too. Don't be ashamed! I only wish I would have bought the Lee Classic it's a little more sturdy. I found that the powder dispenser is really consistent. I bought adjustable powder charge bar:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=150005

That thing works great and you can get the exact charge you want. I think the scale is a real POS. My dad let me borrow his Lyman digital scale and it showed around .3gr difference compared to the Lee scale.

Also you can seat the bullets deeper if you're worried. They already have primers and powder in them when you first seated the bullet so what's the difference if you make an adjustment and run them all through the press again to seat them slightly farther into the case. I've done this before and still have all my fingers. Good luck.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

I did crimp, but very lightly. I should be able to push them in a couple thousandths. The varying charge was all from the autodisk. I weighed the first several on the lee beam scale, which is almost impossible to read smaller than 10ths of a grain. Its very possible that its more like 3.95-4.05, I just can't say. I definitely do not want to weigh every charge, this is for plinking, but I do want to be safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast