Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

I am confused. If I have a valid LTCF, am I in violation if I carry on a school property or not?
    1 step at a time will get you through a hard journey!

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Bold above added by me.

You're understanding of the law is not correct. Federal law exempts those who are "licensed by the state that the institution is in".
    So does this mean reciprocity agreements do not matter in these instances? Or does the law make a provision for out of state licenses with reciprocal agreements?
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by yldwill View Post
    I am confused. If I have a valid LTCF, am I in violation if I carry on a school property or not?
    Yes, you are in violation unless you can prove you were carrying it for "other lawful purposes". Also, even if you drive your kids to school and drop them off outside of school property you are in violation of that law.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 1st, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    So does this mean reciprocity agreements do not matter in these instances? Or does the law make a provision for out of state licenses with reciprocal agreements?

Reciprocal agreements do not matter, there are no provisions for out of state licenses under the federal law. You must have a license from the state in which the school is located.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by yldwill View Post
    The general consensus is that you can not carry on school property. However the UFA makes a provision "for other lawful purposes", which we assume to mean that open carry or concealed carry with an LTCF is a lawful purpose, but no one wants to be the test case for that one. So my suggestion to you...don't carry on school property.

What the previous posts were talking about are people carrying within 1000ft of a school and being licensed by the state the school is in.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Jefferson County)

Here is PA's law on the matter:

Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. Crimes and Offenses (Refs & Annos)
    Part I. Preliminary Provisions
    Chapter 9. Inchoate Crimes (Refs & Annos)
    Current Section§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, you are in violation unless you can prove you were carrying it for "other lawful purposes". Also, even if you drive your kids to school and drop them off outside of school property you are in violation of that law.
    Excuse my ignorance, but why are you in violation if you drop them off outside of school property?

(Jefferson County)

Excuse my ignorance, but why are you in violation if you drop them off outside of school property?

Read my last post showing the law. Its the part that says "or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Read my last post showing the law. Its the part that says "or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution"
    Sorry, typing from my phone so I as I am typing things are posted faster than I can type lol.

I understand that law to mean school buses, vans etc. but not your own vehicle. Obviously I could be very wrong here. Any opinions on this?

(Jefferson County)

Sorry, typing from my phone so I as I am typing things are posted faster than I can type lol.

I understand that law to mean school buses, vans etc. but not your own vehicle. Obviously I could be very wrong here. Any opinions on this?
    It says "any conveyance", which is any vehicle. I do believe GunLawyer001 has also addressed this stating the same thing.

You would be in violation even in your own driveway when you go to take the kids to school.

Now you could try to lean on the "other lawful purpose" clause for self-defense, but that hasn't been supported yet in a court high enough to make precedence.

Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast