Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    There is no law against carrying in a bank. However, the bank being private property can ask you to leave if they find out you are carrying.

I was asked to leave from my local bank once. They were polite, and asked me nicely, telling me that bank policy states no weapon in building.

I had no trouble. I thanked them for the politeness, and told the manager I'll leave my gun in the car from now on.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I was asked to leave from my local bank once. They were polite, and asked me nicely, telling me that bank policy states no weapon in building.

I had no trouble. I thanked them for the politeness, and told the manager I'll leave my gun in the car from now on.

You should tell them that you'll be leaving your money in another bank.

My bank, Farmers National of Emlenton-Dubois branch, never ever has given me grief about carrying in there. All the tellers know that I carry, done so openly many, many times. Quite friendly people, some of which I call friends.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 5th, 2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: darn typo's
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Updated - Added ages to purchase firearms.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Hey guys, I'm from Ohio who just recently got my non-resident PA license from Erie County. I had a question to clarify something; in order for you to break the law regarding private property, do you just merely have to walk by a no guns posted sign, or do you have to be asked to leave too before it's a crime? In addition, what part of state agencies is considered off limits? I assume any local or county buildings is ok then, including police departments even? I only ask because you never know where you may end up needing to go when travelling.

(Lehigh County)

Generally speaking, you must be asked to leave, as "no guns" signs hold no water in PA. As for government buildings, the only one I've been to that was iffy was the Lehigh County courthouse, and that's because they had everyone walk through metal detectors at the entrance.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Indiana County)

Not counting "federal" buildings, the only "state" buildings that are essentially off-limits are courthouses and schools. The capitol complex in Harrisburg uses an unlawful ordinance to keep those buildings defenseless-victim zones, but that's it. Rest stops along the interstate are okay here in Pennsylvania.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Generally speaking, you must be asked to leave, as "no guns" signs hold no water in PA. As for government buildings, the only one I've been to that was iffy was the Lehigh County courthouse, and that's because they had everyone walk through metal detectors at the entrance.
    Also note that although the UFA indicates that courthouses are off limits, they are also required to provide lockers for storage. This way, one can carry TO the courthouse and declare the firearm there.

See here:

§913. Possession of Firearm or Other Dangerous Weapon in Court Facility.

(a) Offense defined.—A person commits an offense if he:

(1) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility; or

(2) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime.
    and also here (emphasis added):

d) Posting of notice.—Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility anti at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.—Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). (Chgd. by L.1999, Act 59, eff 2/15/00.)
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; August 19th, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Jefferson County)

Here is the regulation pertaining to the other Department of State buildings

STATEMENTS OF POLICY
    Title 49--PROFESSIONAL AND VOCATIONAL STANDARDS
    DEPARTMENT OF STATE
    [49 PA. CODE CH. 61]
    Policies and Procedures Relating to Use of Buildings Outside of the Capitol Complex
    [28 Pa.B. 382]

The Department of State (Department) adopts the following statement of policy announcing policies and procedures relating to the maintenance of order and security within the offices and public areas of the bureaus of the Department located outside of the Capitol Complex.

Department offices are located within the Capitol Complex in the North Office Building and in leased facilities in Harrisburg. The offices of the Department including, but not limited to, the Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs, the State Athletic Commission, the Bureau of Enforcement and Investigation and the Bureau of Charitable Organizations, are in leased premises at 116 and 124 Pine Street, Harrisburg. With regard to Department offices located in the Capitol Complex, the recent policy statement of the Department of General Services published at 26 Pa.B. 4906 (October 12, 1996) applies (Codified at 4 Pa. Code Chapter 86). The purpose of this statement of policy is to implement a policy and procedure, consistent with the Department's lease of those premises in a manner to best perform the statutory duties of the Department and its bureaus, administrative boards and commissions.

This statement of policy is not intended to circumscribe any administrative discretion given to the Department under any law or rule or regulation.

This statement of policy is effective upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

YVETTE KANE,
    Secretary of the Commonwealth

Fiscal Note: 16-12. No fiscal impact; (8) recommends adoption.
    Annex A
    TITLE 49. PROFESSIONAL AND VOCATIONAL STANDARDS
    PART I. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
    Subpart C. SECRETARY OF THE COMMONWEALTH
    CHAPTER 61. USE OF PUBLIC AREAS OUTSIDE THE CAPITOL COMPLEX--STATEMENT OF POLICY

Sec.

Additional jurisdiction over properties.

Office hours.

Firearms and weapons.

§ 61.1. Additional jurisdiction over properties.

The public areas of 116 and 124 Pine Street, Harrisburg, under the jurisdiction of the Department of State and subject to this chapter, include the interior offices of the Department of State, Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs, Bureau of Charitable Organizations, Bureau of Enforcement and Investigation, State Athletic Commission and leased offices and facilities related thereto.

§ 61.2. Office hours.

Offices are open to the public for licensing and related business from the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding Saturdays, Sundays and State holidays. Hours in which the offices will be open to the public will be posted. The facilities may be closed during any of these periods upon a determination that an emergency or threat endangering the public health, safety and welfare exists.

§ 61.3. Firearms and weapons.

The possession of firearms or other prohibited offensive weapons as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 908(c) (relating to prohibited offense weapons), while on the leased premises of the Department with the exception of State or Federal officers, in connection with the performance of an official duty, is prohibited. This prohibition does not apply to attorneys listed as counsel of record in connection with the offering of an exhibit in any administrative proceeding, if the counsel of record who intends to offer the item as an exhibit, has obtained written authorization from a hearing examiner to do so."
    Last edited by knight0334; August 19th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.

(Luzerne County)

[quote

**See ATF Open Letter Below:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/122905pe...openletter.pdf

[/quote]

This link isnt working for me and I would really like to read the letter. Im not sure if its the link or its me, can someone post the contents of the letter or PM me a working link, I would really appreciate it.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Philadelphia County)

Talking Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Their ordinance is an illegal one. It means nothing. PA has a law on the books that states no city, town, borough or municipality can make their own laws. There is a thread on GT about a township somewhere in PA that passed a similar ordinance.

Many people complained about the ordinance and after speaking with their legal rep, they were informed the ordinance could not be enforced, so it was dropped.
    Airports, even though they belong to the city or town they are in, are Federal property. Federal law supersedes Local or State law, so you can be forbidden to carry in an airport

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast