Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default glock recoil springs

hey fellow pafoa members,
    quick question, how often do I need to change my recoil springs in my glocks? I'm thinking not for awhile but I don't know if anyone has any suggestions as to when such as after so many rounds, etc.? Thanks
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Chester County)

Default Re: glock recoil springs

The typical recommendation is 5k rounds.

I've seen Glocks go 40k+ without a new spring though, and they still ran just fine at that point.

5-10k though, if you care about your Glock.

(Allegheny County)

I'd add that when dealing with .40 Glocks 3,000rnds would be good for weapon longevity. Based on my experiences with several depts that ran Glock 22/23's exclusively and had alot of officers that actually enjoyed shooting every week. It's cheap insurance since some people tend to think the .40s&w Glocks are a little undersprung from the factory.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I'd add that when dealing with .40 Glocks 3,000rnds would be good for weapon longevity. Based on my experiences with several depts that ran Glock 22/23's exclusively and had alot of officers that actually enjoyed shooting every week. It's cheap insurance since some people tend to think the .40s&w Glocks are a little undersprung from the factory.
    I would be careful if you deviated from the stock spring weight on the .40S&W's...they have issues with the timing of the slide and magazine, anyway.

If you're just talking about always keeping a the spring stock, and fresh...I can't disagree with that.

After 350.000 rnds, lol.

(Allegheny County)

We did experiment with up to 22lbs springs in the Glock 23 and it resulted in sketchy reliability in almost every case, as you said, due to messing up the timing. We did find that running a 20lbs spring with steel guide rod in the Glock 22 solved some of our weapon-light functioning issues but had to be combined with stronger magazine springs. The Chief wanted to stick with Glock across the board and thought the stronger recoil springs were a liability, so we went back to stock springs in everything with mandatory spring replacements once a year regardless of round count. We did consult with Glock at the time and they are the ones that "suggested" we look at replacing the springs at 3K or once a year in the .40's to prevent excessive battering of the frame and such. Worked pretty well for us overall, and we overcame our broken locking block pins too.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    We did experiment with up to 22lbs springs in the Glock 23 and it resulted in sketchy reliability in almost every case, as you said, due to messing up the timing. We did find that running a 20lbs spring with steel guide rod in the Glock 22 solved some of our weapon-light functioning issues but had to be combined with stronger magazine springs. The Chief wanted to stick with Glock across the board and thought the stronger recoil springs were a liability, so we went back to stock springs in everything with mandatory spring replacements once a year regardless of round count. We did consult with Glock at the time and they are the ones that "suggested" we look at replacing the springs at 3K or once a year in the .40's to prevent excessive battering of the frame and such. Worked pretty well for us overall, and we overcame our broken locking block pins too.
    Good to hear, sounds like you've got the inside scoop on things!

(Montgomery County)

The recoil spring is not the only spring that should be changed on a regular basis. I have all the springs in my carry autos changed every year or two, depending on how much I shoot. If any of those critical springs breaks you could be holding a polymer and steel paperweight.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Should the rod be replace too or just the spring only?

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the input everyone, but now my next question is do i take it someone to replace these springs, is it easy to do yourself? I don't know if I want to take a chance of damaging it somehow if i did it myself.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast