Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need a bipod for a bolt gun..

I'm looking for a bipod for my Savage 10FP. It will be used for prone & bench shooting.

So what size should I get? 6"-9" or 9"-13?

Default Re: Need a bipod for a bolt gun..

Quote Originally Posted by joelad View Post
    I'm looking for a bipod for my Savage 10FP. It will be used for prone & bench shooting.

This is definitely a preference thing, and eventually you may want to have both; depending on how you shoot, etc. Either way I realize that you want to start somewhere, so I'll do my best. There are 2 styles of prone shooting, low prone and high prone. I personally shoot from a VERY low prone position, my bipod is usually around 6" or 7". I believe that the lower you are to the ground, the more stable you are, so I stay low. For some people though, depending on their build, musculature, neck flexibility, etc; this may not be a comfortable position. I've found that even at 9" from a low prone position, it really bothers my neck and leads to fatigue quickly. From a bench, it'll kind of also depend on how how you like to sit. Many times people like to sit up a bit more straight and higher on the bench, and some of them may like it at 9" or just a little bit more. Either way, I think if you're going to be doing some prone shooting, I'd stay with the 6-9" height, and see if it's enough for you to be comfortable on the bench. 9" and above is typically too high for most people to be shooting prone from. If you can, I'd suggest you see if you can find a rifle with one mounted in a store, or a friend and see what feels good to you. Sit behind it for a few, so that if it's a bad position a little fatigue can set in. You'll figure out pretty quick what height will suit you.

(Lehigh County)

I agree with Tomcat... It is a preference thing.

I carry a 6-9" and a 9-13" in my drag bag. Depending on where I am going to shoot either may be the most suitable. Example
    1. Some of the tables at my range are not very level
    2. Some of the tables/benches are taller than others
    3. Some of the targets are at lower elevation than the tables

Depending on where I am shooting and which table/bench is available when I shoot, I may need to swap out my bipod.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by joelad View Post

6-9" should be good for prone or bench shooting I think. Myself, I use sandbags for shooting from the bench.
    I use a taller bipod for field shooting because almost all of my varmint shooting is from a sitting position, due to sitting on a side of a hill or tall grass. Just something to keep in mind.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

6-9 should be good. only got with the larger if you plan on using it to hunt with on uneven terrain.

(Centre County)

I carry both in my range bag, for the same reasons as stated above.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

my 6-9 gets used 99.9% of the time when i'm using a bipod to shoot prone. I have a 9-13 that I used to pack with me but it never saw light of day and was just added weight so now I leave it behind. If I ever need height above the 13" I usually make use of my pack or other available materials (dirt, rocks, another shooter, modified camera tripod, etc.) to make the shot.