Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default First OC Day Thoughts

I have been CC'ing for a while now. Now, I normally will OC when I am working in outside around the house, just because I do not live in the best of neighborhoods, and want to be protected all of the time. Today I finished up yard work and needed to take a trip to Walmart. So I decided just to keep the 1911 in OC and run my errands. Along the way to Walmart I decided to stop at Sheetz and grab some lunch.

As I was walking in I had the nervousness that people have described when they frist started OC'ing. I ordered my sandwitch and was waiting for it to be made. I was really watching the people around me, and noticed a man that would not stop staring at me. His eyes looked like they would buldge out of his head if they could. Deciding not to escalate the situation and talk to him about it, I just minded my own business.

Once I got to Walmart (which I might add is PG) i looked at movies and made a stop to look at what ammo they had in stock. There was an older man there that looked to be about mid 40's there. I will say older because I am only 23. Anyways, we started talking about monopods and hunting, then he did something that really surprised me. He told me that he was very happy to see a younger guy excercising my right to OC. I was really taken back by that. I read a lot of posts on here about people getting negative comments on it. We got to BS'ing about what he carries and just Tauruses in general. Then we shake hand and part ways.

I round the end of the aisle and a woman askes me if I could help her lift a bag of rock salt into her cart. Bieng the gentleman, I said sure. I have to admit that I was alittle nervous, because there was no way to life the bag off of the shelf and get it into the cart without showing my strong side. I figured it would not hurt anything as long as I kept an eye on where she was. Now I know she had to have seen it. But there was not comments or bad looks made at me. She even asked me where the batteries were. When I said that I did not know, she said, "Oh, you dont work here?" I guess that goes to show some people either really dont care based on how you act, or they are just that completely oblivious.

My final thoughts are, I do need to print out some flier for when an altercation occurs. Also I dont think it is my thing all of the time. I can see a need to conceal. But I think I will be doing more OC with some CC in there.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First OC Day Thoughts

Sounds like a good first experience to me.

As far as people either not caring or being oblivious, well thats probably the majority of people out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: First OC Day Thoughts

Great job !! Exactly how an ideal day of OC should and usually always will go. The more you OC the more you will become accustomed to it. Just do not become complacent !! Take that responsibility for granted and thats when bad things can happen. The forum has really nice color printed PA GUN RIGHTS flyers for sale now. I am putting in an order after this post. I always keep flyers on hand. Not only for people who do not know the law, but also for the guys out there looking for a place like this. Always remember this important fact. When you OC, you are an ambassador for gun owners everywhere !!

Keep it up !! Rep sent.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vermillionx View Post
    Deciding not to escalate the situation and talk to him about it, I just minded my own business.
    Always a good idea. You weren't doing anything illegal. Besides, he might have been checking out the hot blonde standing behind you...

Quote Originally Posted by Vermillionx View Post
    I read a lot of posts on here about people getting negative comments on it.
    Keep in mind that the negative comments are out of the ordinary. It would be insanely boring if all of us said, "Yep, I went OCing today and nothing happened. Again."

We typically post the negative reactions to share the stories and turn them into learning experiences.

Overall, a great post! Rep to you, especially for helping the lady and being an ambassador for 2A rights!
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lycoming County)

I just felt weird about the nervousness. I have carried a loaded gun in Iraq for two tours and never really felt nervous (except for the first few times going out). But, when I walk into a mini-mart I got nervous. To me that just seems weird.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_in_Lancity View Post
    The more you OC the more you will become accustomed to it..
    So how long until one stops looking around to see if anyone is looking? Been a few months and i still find myself looking for it...

Good job VermillionX...and thank you for your service

(Dauphin County)

you never stop.. its a situational awareness thing... you just get less nervous about it lol
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Lycoming County)

I agree. You never stop looking over your shoulder to see who is coming up behind you. You never stop scanning a room to assess the situation. There are things that I do that friends have told me I should calm down about(things that I have just mentioned). But, I refuse to. I feel the need to keep looking, the need to scan different people. My thought are that you never know where the next threat is going to come from.

(York County)

Vermillionx,
    Another heartfelt "Thank You for Your Service". If it felt weird going into a
    a store, it sure as hell beats an enviroment where you were a target 24/7
    in the "Sandbox", as I call it. Remember it is your "mindset", knowledge and
    confidence that will ease that feeling of "weird" as you continue to OC/CC.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Lycoming County)

Thank you all for the support of what I chose to do as a career.

I feel like I am a target anytime I go anywhere outside of my house. My feelings are that I could be the victim of a crime at anytime, and that is one of the big reasons why I carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast