Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default RCBS Powder Measurer

Whats the difference between the RCBS uniflow powder measurer with small cylinder vs. the standard cylinder? Not sure of which one to buy. Someone please help me out.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: RCBS Powder Measurer

Quote Originally Posted by okinawanfighter View Post
    Whats the difference between the RCBS uniflow powder measurer with small cylinder vs. the standard cylinder? Not sure of which one to buy. Someone please help me out.
    I think it is probably referring to "UPM measuring cylinder, small, p/n 9004".

That would be a smaller (internal) diameter measuring cyliner that goes into the drum, replacing the large diameter one.

The small is for measuring small (like, fer' instance, .218 Bee and pistol) powder charges, whereas the large one is for rifle like 458 Winchester Magnum Elephant Loudenthumper.

You take the drum out of the measure and unscrew the large and replace it with the small.

The measure with both is quite useful, but sure as the sun comes up over there somewhere, if you only get the one, you'll soon wish you had the other also. (Don't ask me how I know that).

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

What Flash said.

Don't get one because you will need the other.

(Berks County)

I dont see on the midway site where they offer an option to buy both. It appears that you either buy the small or large cylinder. I'm assuming though you can buy either cylinder seperately and switch them out as required for your loading needs. Is this correct???

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I dont see on the midway site where they offer an option to buy both. It appears that you either buy the small or large cylinder. I'm assuming though you can buy either cylinder seperately and switch them out as required for your loading needs. Is this correct???
    Look on the RCBS site, "search" for part number 9004. It will show in a list of parts, some of which are for the Uniflow.

However, why not ask Midway first, to see if they sell the Uniflow with BOTH tubes.

I have a Uniflow (I got a good deal at a yard sale) with both tubes, and I don't see how anyone can work an assortment of cartridges without both.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

When I bought my Uniflow it came with both cylinders ( but then again that was probably 25-30 years ago ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    When I bought my Uniflow it came with both cylinders ( but then again that was probably 25-30 years ago ).
    Older is better some times. Mine is just about the same age and works great.

(Berks County)

So I called and asked about the powder measurer cylinders. RCBS doesnt offer the uniflow with both cylinders. You can buy either the uniflow with the small or large cylinder and than you have to buy the cylinder you dont have. As of know I'm still using lee scoops, a scale, and a 30-06 shell casing as a trinkler. Yea I know kinda old school. I was looking at the powder measurer to speed things up a bit. I also had the thought of buying one of those electronic scales that automatically weigh and dispenses the powder. You guys have any thoughts on the subject?

(Lebanon County)

So I called and asked about the powder measurer cylinders. RCBS doesnt offer the uniflow with both cylinders. You can buy either the uniflow with the small or large cylinder and than you have to buy the cylinder you dont have. As of know I'm still using lee scoops, a scale, and a 30-06 shell casing as a trinkler. Yea I know kinda old school. I was looking at the powder measurer to speed things up a bit. I also had the thought of buying one of those electronic scales that automatically weigh and dispenses the powder. You guys have any thoughts on the subject?
    Go with the RCBS chargemaster, and never look back. The price is high, but you only have to do it once.

Brad

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Mine's about that old too. But I don't think I've ever had the small cylinder in. I use the large for everything from 38 spl to 30-06.

Check out the Lyman 55. It's got 3 adjustable slides.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast