Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default So i am trying to sell a pistol to a relative

I moved here from Texas with an XD9 full size pistol in my possession.

I purchased the weapon in Texas face to face from my cousin.

I now want to sell him the weapon back since he loved it greatly and was short on cash at that point in his life. I have held it and enjoyed it but I am ready to sell it back to him...

I'm now in PA. Different TX guns shops have given me different stories about how I must go about doing this transfer. One FFL said I have to have another gun shop ship it to them in TX. Another FFL said it needs to be registered in PA or "we would get in trouble".

I was under the impression that I could emlpoy a private carrier to OVERNIGHT it to a FFL in TX with no issues whereby they could do the transfer back to my relative.

Am I missing something?

Thanks guys!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: So i am trying to sell a pistol to a relative

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaen View Post
    One FFL said I have to have another gun shop ship it to them in TX.
    No such requirement in law to use an FFL on the Pa. end.

Note: It may or may or may not be cheaper and/or less hassle for you to ship from an FFL. An FFL can use the USPS to ship (you can not)and that is about half the price of UPS/fed-ex overnight, even with the insurance and sig required, etc.

Another FFL said it needs to be registered in PA or "we would get in trouble".
    That FFL has no idea what he is talking about. There is no "registration" in Pa. And even if there was the firearm is not "run" when it is transferred. . How do these morons stay in biz?

I was under the impression that I could emlpoy a private carrier to OVERNIGHT it to a FFL in TX with no issues whereby they could do the transfer back to my relative.

You are correct!

Note: You are not required to use overnight service by law, that is a requirement of the carrier. I suggest following it since if the gun were to go missing they will probably deny the insurance if you fail to adhere to their guidelines.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Centre County)

Default Re: So i am trying to sell a pistol to a relative

PA Patriot gave you the good scoop. Also, if the FFL you are shipping it to will not accept a shipment from a non FFL, then you have no recourse but to use a FFL here in PA to do the shipment.

As said it very well may be more cost effective to utilize a FFL here in PA because of their ability to ship via USPS. I almost exclusively use them and with Priority Mail (with insurance and delivery confirmation) it gets there in a couple days anyway. I have NEVER had a gun not be delivered when using the USPS.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member