Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Getting pulled over

I have a question; I was pulled over by a State Trooper. When he came to the car, he asked a very good question "are there any firearms in the car" I understand him asking the question. I answered truthfully, he did what any logical Trooper should do he disarmed me, and asked for my LTCF. I understand and respect all of it. BUT, he ran my gun to make sure it was tied in with my name. Also, the Trooper gave me back my gun with the slide and the receiver disassembled, and all the ammo out of the magazine. I can understand why the Trooper did this. But my question is "Do I have to answer the question truthfully next time". What are the Laws to this.
    I am not at all, critizing the Trooper, I would have asked and done the very same as he did. I am asking this because; I had a bad experience with a Office in Bangor before. I stupidly offered to let the Officer know that I was carrying, he disarmed me and place the LOADED w/one in the pipe on top of my car, and then when back to his squad car, this was taking place on 512 along the sidewalk. And to top it off ran my name with the firearm to see if it was registered to me, this took over 45 minutes. As the Trooper did all this in a respectful and safe matter. I don't think ALL officers have the intelligence to handle a firearm in a safe matter.
    When you think, You think you know!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Getting pulled over

I'm guessing you had a "gun" sticker on your car?

Search the CC/OC section for your answer. You won't have any trouble finding them since this has been covered extensively in many threads.

Last edited by Hawk; October 7th, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PweShay View Post
    I have a question; I was pulled over by a State Trooper. When he came to the car, he asked a very good question "are there any firearms in the car" I understand him asking the question. I answered truthfully, he did what any logical Trooper should do he disarmed me, and asked for my LTCF. I understand and respect all of it. BUT, he ran my gun to make sure it was tied in with my name. Also, the Trooper gave me back my gun with the slide and the receiver disassembled, and all the ammo out of the magazine. I can understand why the Trooper did this. But my question is "Do I have to answer the question truthfully next time". What are the Laws to this.
    I was stopped in Gilbert by the West End fairgrounds last month. When I got out my registration he saw the copy of my license to carry. He asked is that a Firearms License to which I said yes. he asked is on on you? I said yes on my hip. He said okay and proceded to walk back to the cruiser to run my drivers license. Never another word said about firearms.

(Indiana County)

BUT, he ran my gun to make sure it was tied in with my name. Also, the Trooper gave me back my gun with the slide and the receiver disassembled, and all the ammo out of the magazine.
    Both of these items are worthy of at least a strongly-worded complaint to the trooper's commander, with an info copy to the head of the PSP and your State Representative.

There is no firearms registration in Pennsylvania.

Property held by the police should be returned in the same condition in which it was received.

(Lancaster County)

<snip>he did what any logical Trooper should do ... and asked for my LTCF. <snip>
    I believe this would be the logical step. Seizing your firearm reduced the level of safety for you and the officer. It's safest when left in its holster.

But my question is "Do I have to answer the question truthfully next time".
    IANAL, but lying to the officer certainly sounds like a good way to wear some new bracelets.
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Total BS... What would have happened if the gun wasn't in their incomplete, illegal, fake registry?

(Lehigh County)

I am not at all, critizing the Trooper, I would have asked and done the very same as he did. I am asking this because; I had a bad experience with a Office in Bangor before. I stupidly offered to let the Officer know that I was carrying, he disarmed me and place the LOADED w/one in the pipe on top of my car, and then when back to his squad car, this was taking place on 512 along the sidewalk. And to top it off ran my name with the firearm to see if it was registered to me, this took over 45 minutes. As the Trooper did all this in a respectful and safe matter. I don't think ALL officers have the intelligence to handle a firearm in a safe matter.
    Why do you think it's ok for the LEO to take your pistol? For officer safety? Really? AD/NDs happen when a gun is handled, they just don't happen when they are safely in the holster. Would it have been ok for you to disarm the LEO for your safety?

To answer your question, I believe when asked by a LEO, you must tell them the truth. If they don't ask, don't tell. IANAL, I am sure there will be others along to clarify this.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Tell that to the cops in Ebensburg.

I had an experience with an Ebensburg, PA officer where my pistol was taken, unloaded, stripped, and returned separated and checked against their 'registry'. I swear it was like he never pulled over a LTCF before.

Until that day I had nothing but respect for any LEO. That experience, plus being frisked on the hood of my car three feet from 60 mph traffic sorta changed that a bit. Oh, this was the only time I've been pulled over in my life. Never even a warning previously. And yes, he did write the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Both of these items are worthy of at least a strongly-worded complaint to the trooper's commander, with an info copy to the head of the PSP and your State Representative.

There is no firearms registration in Pennsylvania.

Property held by the police should be returned in the same condition in which it was received.
    Last edited by PAOhio; October 7th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle, Officer."
    BINGO!

These videos should be helpful:

Proud friend of the Noble family.

(Montgomery County)

When he came to the car, he asked a very good question "are there any firearms in the car"
    That's not a good question. Has nothing to do with your operation of the car. Did he ask if you had any bombs, knives, WMD's, bicycle parts, computers, medical waste, etc etc etc.

I answered truthfully,
    ALWAYS answer truthfully. This was the only good part of your encounter.

he did what any logical Trooper should do he disarmed me,
    That is NOT what any logical Trooper should do. The logical thing would be to leave the gun right where it's at.

and asked for my LTCF. I understand and respect all of it.
    That's a shame. I would not respect someone asking me a question they know they have no business to ask.

I can understand why the Trooper did this.
    So you're aware that he violated your rights, with your permission?

But my question is "Do I have to answer the question truthfully next time".
    I am not at all, critizing the Trooper,
    Your question to the Trooper.
    "Why do you want my LTCF? What's your RAS?"
    "Why do you want my gun? You know it's safer where it's at."
    "I do not consent to giving you my LTCF or Firearm. If you demand it, I will comply, but I do not consent."

As the Trooper did all this in a respectful and safe matter.
    Violating your rights is ok, as long as it's respectuf and safe?

I don't think ALL officers have the intelligence to handle a firearm in a safe matter.
    DING DING DING!
    When handing your gun to the Trooper how did you know he had the intelligence?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast