Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Help me pick my next pistol - narrowed to 2 choices...

I'm going CRAZY trying to decide what's next in my collection.

Right mow, my EDC switches between a 3" GP-100 or a CZ-75D PCR.

I LOVE the GP-100. I'm happy with the caliber (of course!). And I I'm OK with having six rounds. I tend to carry this the most. It's not OVERLY heavy - but I notice it.
    I like the PCR as well. I can wear that all day. It's noticeably lighter than the GP.

I also have an XD45 Tactical - that's the full size 5" model. She's a big 'un. And with 13+1 rounds of 230 grainers....it's noticeably heavier that the Ruger!! Though I've been CC since around March - I don't obsess when the muzzle of the XD protrudes from underneath its cover (I carry OWB in a Serpa). I'm not concerned about printing either. But it's heavy!

So - I love the XD design/feel soooo much, my next firearm will be another XD.

My choices are an XD9SC or the XD45C. My dealer of choice is Advanced Arms in Pittston PA (A++++ dealer to work with! GREAT people!). Chris has both of these firearms in stock and I was there this past week picking up another gotta-have it obsession of mine...a NIB KGPF-340 (4" fixed sight short shroud GP-100). I handled both firearms and actually found the XD45C more comfortable/natural in my hand than the XD9SC.

Both have pro's, so let me talk about the con's.
    XD45C - I feel like an idiot already owning an XD45 Tactical and buying essentially the same gun save for an inch shorter on both length & width. But it FEELS sooo much 'less-bulky' than the tactical. And the Compact, IIRC, lists at only about 1.5oz lighter. Not saving much in weight (3 less .45 rounds as well). .45 ammo is much more expensive than 9mm (I don't feel under-powered carrying 9mm in the least)

XD9SC - this may sound ridiculous....but I'd prefer to have at least 4 inches of barrel for both this 9mm or a .45 The 9SC is 3". I want 4" for the slight edge in velocity. I know that there are bad guys that can vouch that a 9mm out of a 3" tube is indeed lethal - but eh, that seems to be my hang-up. Does SA make the 9SC with a 4" barrel? Also - the XD9SC weighs in at around 29oz.....not all that much less than the XD45C.

Magazine capacity isn't a huge issue. I can carry spares. Caliber effectiveness doesn't worry me. WWB at the range and Buffalo Bore or HST as the Carry round. That's an equalizer.

IF I wanted to get a good IWB leather holster - the 9SC may be more comfortable than the 45C....but I can't say by how much.

I guess the bottom line is that I feel it's redundant to get the 45C if I already have the 45 Tactical. On paper they're similar. Holding them, they're not. And 9mm ammo is so much cheaper than .45. But the 45C will fit right into the Serpa I already have for the Tactical.

Arrrrgh!

What would YOU choose?

-
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Default Re: Help me pick my next pistol - narrowed to 2 choices...

"Springer Precision" in Oregon will cut down a XD45 frame to compact length, or a XD40/XD9 4" pistol frame cut down to subcompact size. imo this would give you want you want.

irc the work is $75 for pistol, shipping is $50-75(?)

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like you've already decided you don't want either the GP or CZ since your debating barrel length on a XD. The 3" doesn't give up much to a 4". Nothing noticable anyway. Your ok with a 3" GP 357, but not a 3" 45ACP???

(Somerset County)

I would vote the GP 100 .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    "Springer Precision" in Oregon will cut down a XD45 frame to compact length, or a XD40/XD9 4" pistol frame cut down to subcompact size. imo this would give you want you want.

irc the work is $75 for pistol, shipping is $50-75(?)
    took the post right out from under me.

I hear they do a great trigger job too..........

(Montgomery County)

ruger would get my vote. i'm sorry i ever sold mine

(Monroe County)

Well you're right about one thing. If you already own a full size tactical 5" XD45 what would you be gaining by purchasing a service/compact model 4" XD45?

The grip on the compact 45 is slightly shorter than the tactical and you lose 3 rounds. and lose an inch on the barrel. Is it really worth it? I think not.

When you're looking for a combat hand gun the Tactical model is superior in every way shape and form, and you know that.

If you want to buy the XD45 compact just to have it, go ahead, but pragmatically it's pointless.

On to the XD9SC. Well, a friend of mine has one and I shot it a few times.
    Personally it's just too small for my hands to shoot it comfortably at the range.

If you're carrying it and have to use it in a self defense situation, I guess you won't be too worried about it for the 2-3 seconds it takes to end the situation.....

I wouldn't recommend carrying it with the extended mag to make the gun fit your hand better, because you're essentially carrying the grip length of a full size or service model gun, with LESS barrel length.

and as you know, it's the grip you conceal and not the barrel.

If you're looking for a small'ish 9mm to CC to add to your line up, then grab the XD9SC, it's a great gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lehigh County)

That is the worst decision that could ever be made. I have the GP100 in 4" and it is just purely awesome. My brother just bought a CZ-75B I believe and it is incredible. I know that this is not exactly apples to apples but close enough.

Flip a coin and put the other on layaway.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

(Monroe County)

If concealability is the issue then the XD sc 9 is far superior to anything that you mentioned in both size weight and printability. Its just a fantastic gun , and i'm not a XD fan.

Nymax

(York County)

xd 45 compact. one of the best 45's I've ever shot.

the xd 9 sc has too short of a barrel for a good target pistol. but if you were to cc it iwb, then i'd rather have a taser. why carry a 9 when you could carry a 45?

just playing with matches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast