Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pin Shooting

(Tioga County)

Default Pin Shooting

I'm in the early stages of trying to set up a pin shoot at my local range and I need to know some of the rules and how to set up the bowling pins. If there is range close to Elkland, Pa that I could visit and see how their's is set up that would be an added bonus. For the range if you have a contact number that would be icing on the cake.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Pin Shooting

There area lot of different ways to do a pin shoot. The first thing is do you have real bowling pins?

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    I'm in the early stages of trying to set up a pin shoot at my local range and I need to know some of the rules and how to set up the bowling pins. If there is range close to Elkland, Pa that I could visit and see how their's is set up that would be an added bonus. For the range if you have a contact number that would be icing on the cake.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Tioga County)

As I said I'm in the very early stages and will be contacting bowling alleys for any old pins that they may have and what the cost will be to me. I'm hoping that I won't have to buy new ones. I need to know how many I'll need so I can hopefully deal with the bowling alleys.

(Tioga County)

How many pins you will need per shoot is greatly dependent on the number of shooters. Long ago and far away we would have around 15 shooters per shoot. Most of the pins were not in good shape buy the time we were done. As I recall we would start with around 15 pins. They had a deal to get pins that were no longer "in spec". As long as they would stand up and were whole we were happy.

What we used was a plywood top measuring 126" by 36" pins were placed 18" apart down the center setting on saw horses with 2X4 bracing under the top to prevent sag. as you can see there was 18" of table around each pin. To score the pin you had to get it completely off the table. shortest time wins. We used 6 pins to make it revolver friendly semi guys were limited to 6 round per mag. Shoot as much as you want but ya gotta clear the table.

You could call me if you wish but I don't know how to get you my number. or if you give me yours I will call you.

As I said I'm in the very early stages and will be contacting bowling alleys for any old pins that they may have and what the cost will be to me. I'm hoping that I won't have to buy new ones. I need to know how many I'll need so I can hopefully deal with the bowling alleys.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Columbia County)

You definitely don't want to buy bowling pins new. They run about $150/10 pins new. One gun shop by me sells used pins for a buck a piece. Of course, that's a haul for you, as I am in Columbia county. You could also by used from ebay. Here is a link to a search I did:
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bowling+pins+target&_sacat=0&_trksid=p 3286.m270.l1313&LH_SiteWideCondition=Used285fdd&_o dkw=bowling+pins&_osacat=0

(Luzerne County)

Many years ago when I was into pin shooting my local bowling alley would give me the over used pins, it helped them so they didn't have to dump them. So try talking to your local bowling alley, they might help.

(Adams County)

The pistol club I belong to has two pin tables that are made of 4' x 8' sheets of steel, 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch thick. Each tabletop goes a good 900 pounds, so the supports are very important. We put angle iron in front of each leg to keep from shooting up the legs.

(Dauphin County)

the range i use to shoot at used a RR tie with large nails nailed in to where the nail is sticking out about 3 inches.. and drilled the bottom of the pins to accomodate the nail head..

nail to nail was about 2 feet...
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !