Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Are there alternate powders to choose from...

Hello everyone its me again, and im back with another question. i know, in the case of hardcore marksmen, that it is often more common than not for people to buy the necessary parts for a catridge rather than buy thme stock from the store, something about making the powder in each case equal to yield a consisten shot for each round, so my question fro you today is thus: when fabricating your ammunition are there different powders to choose from depending on the future use for your shot or is it the same no matter where you go?

Default Re: Are there alternate powders to choose from...

I'm a little confused on exactly what you're asking. Each type of powder requires a different charge to achieve the same velocity. My Lee reloader dispenses powder by volume. Each powder has a different weight/volume. Bullseye may be 5gr/.4cc and Titegroup may be 4.7/.4cc. Don't go by these I'm just giving an example. Right now it's difficult to find specific brands of powder/primers/bullet heads so you kind of take what you can get.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

There are hundreds of different powders available to the handloader. Finding the ultimate combination of the cartridge, powder and bullet that gives the best performance is why we reload. Generally a powder that fills the cartridge case without exceeding the max pressure will give good results, but not always. It is a search.

Walt

(Luzerne County)

Son: I, also, am having a hard time understanding exactly what you want to know.
    The phrase
    is it the same no matter where you go?
    is particularly difficult. What do you mean by "it" (the powder? the amount? the load density?)? and the "where you go" part.....not at all sure what you mean by that.
    The search for "the perfect load" is or can be a consuming enterprise. That load will be a particular combination of brass, powder, bullet and firearm. You seem to focus on the powder. There may, in fact, be a number of different powders that will produce exactly the same results when used in a particular rifle.
    Some reloaders keep experimenting. Others, I am one, stop when they find a combination that "works".
    Hope that helps.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

To clarify myself for the confusion, i guess i mean is all gunpowder the same chemical make up or are there different kinds of mixtures, yielding different powders, or is all gunpowder the same?

(Luzerne County)

You need to read up in a good reloading manual. Any of the good ones will do, such a Serria,Hornady,Speer. Most smokeless gunpowder is either single base or some are double base, but the main ingredient is nitroglycren. The shape of the grain is the main way to regulate the speed. there is a lot of reading and learing to do in the reloading hobby to last a lifetime.

(Centre County)

Don't know if this was stated in any of your other posts or not. The best thing you can do for yourself right now would be to pick up "The ABC's of Reloading" at your local bookstore. This is a very good primer to reloading and should answer your basic through moderate questions. When you start to get more technical in your questions you start here or jump up to a bullet or powder manufacturers manual or to some of the reloading sites (like www.accuratereloading.com).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
    To clarify myself for the confusion, i guess i mean is all gunpowder the same chemical make up or are there different kinds of mixtures, yielding different powders, or is all gunpowder the same?
    All smokeless powders are different. Formula, size, shape and coatings deal with burn rate. IMR 4831 is even different than H4831.

Get a good reloading as stated above and read up.

Walt

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    You need to read up in a good reloading manual. Any of the good ones will do, such a Serria,Hornady,Speer. Most smokeless gunpowder is either single base or some are double base, but the main ingredient is nitroglycren. The shape of the grain is the main way to regulate the speed. there is a lot of reading and learing to do in the reloading hobby to last a lifetime.

Not to tread upon your toes, Sir, but it is the other way around.

The common component is "nitrocellulose". Double-base powders also contain "nitroglycerine" in varying amounts. Bullseye pistol powder has long been the one with the greatest percentage of nitroglycerine.

Right about shape of the granule (flake, extrusion, ball, etc) being the main way to control burning rate, and thus the pressure/time curve. Additives and coatings (as retardants and accelerants) applied after formation of the granule are also used. Many of the chemicals used at one powder manufacturer are used by most of the others - it can become a regular withchs' brew.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Westmoreland County)

Once you find a load you like. Keep using that powder and bullet. It's also best to have a back-up load, that is with another powder just in case you can't find your favorite powder.
    When i was a beginner "reloader" and just reloading .44 magnums, I was always experimenting with different powders. For my application I always went back to Unique. Today I have my favorite loads for the .40, 9mm, .45 etc. and I stick to the one powder for each. Whether it's Titegroup, Power Pistol, Bullseye etc.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.