Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Scranton Library ready to ban guns/weapons

It seems that at the last Scranton Public Library board meeting they discussed the new legislation or change to their operating procedures to ban guns/ weapons, sharp objects and such. They stated that this is based upon two incidents where a patron was open carrying and someone freaked and called the cops. It happen twice and from what I gather it was the same gentlemen twice and both times the people freaked and called 911.

The next board meeting is on 10-22-09 at 12:15pm. They can bring this up and pass it in the same meeting. They are not required to introduce it and have different readings at multiple meetings. If they raise it at the next meeting they will most likely pass it.

They also sited ordinances in Baton Rouge La and the Dauphin County library here in pa that they have used as a model with a few additions.

Most people don't realize or know that they are doing this because these meetings are covered by any media.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Scranton Library ready to ban guns/weapons

How little research did they do?

If the "public library" is also owned by the public (IE: the city) they simply can not do it. No way , no how.
    18Pa.C.S.6120

If it is a private entity they need no ordinance so my guess is they are public.

I am not familiar with the Dauphin County issue but will look it up, if no one else does. Not tonight, prepping for Scranton.

PS: The incidents mentioned were jahwarrior. A member here.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

I have met Jah a few times at Bill's Sporting goods and I also haven't been very active here due to time and family responsiblities. The library system is run by the county and the library in question is public. Its one block north of City Hall on the same street. It is indeed a public building, BUT this is typical for this city. They first try to eliminate what they are afraid of without any regard for law.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    PS: The incidents mentioned were jahwarrior. A member here.
    Will that guy ever stop ruining it for everyone?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJock View Post
    ...BUT this is typical for this city. They first try to eliminate what they are afraid of without any regard for law.
    That is because people let them.

Are you joining us tonight at City Hall? (See sig)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

yes my wife, son and I will be there.

(Lackawanna County)

:/
    I didn't know Scranton had a library, and if there was a thread on the police getting called on Jah then i missed that too.
    That guy sure has alot of excitement in his life it seems. I will keep a watch out for anything being done about the library. Perhaps a sit in to read? I love reading and would be very willing to see what this one has for on hand books.

Scranton is one thing. The lost/stolen deal seems to be Quasi legal. Some have passed right? I think it's wrong though.
    But the library banning guns? That's a simple one at least. Wow our plates are getting full anymore with Mcdade park violating preemption as well.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Berks County)

Where are the solicitors for these cities/towns, and why are they not providing professional advice to the Councils that such ordinances aren't legal?

It might do us well to remind the solicitors for these Councils that they are LEGALLY responsible for the advice they give. If they tell the town council it's OK to pass a "lost and stolen" ordinance when it's not, they can be personally named in a civil suit. In addition, the town council will likely throw said solicitor under the bus in a such a situation in an attempt to absolve themselves of responsibility and civil/fiscal liability.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    Scranton is one thing. The lost/stolen deal seems to be Quasi legal. Some have passed right? .
    Quasi legal? Nope, illegal. A stolen or lost firearm is still your firearm. So "regulating in any way", such as requiring reporting your property to .gov is a violation of 6120.
    Just because some cities have passed unlawful ordinances does not make it legal. Pitt has been challanged, but the court found the plaintiffs to not have standing (since they were not charged/harmed by the ordinance), so it now waits for someone to be charged and will be challanged again then.
    Phila has an injunction against them by the court to not enforce the law until it's own legal challenge is resolved.

Remember Meleanie

(Washington County)

We need a PSA (sad really) that says "Hey kids! Dont freek out, guns are legal to carry!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast