Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Pistol

(Lebanon County)

Default First Pistol

So I'm thinking about picking up my first pistol in the next couple weeks. I've been in discussions with people over which is the "best" caliber, be it 9mm, .45, or a revolver.

I'd love a Colt 1911 .45 but I hear they can be pricey. I've also had my eye on a .40 cal Glock. Or I could go the fun route and buy a .357 or .38 special revolver for shear fun at the ranges.

I'm just wondering what would be the best buy for someone who's never owned a pistol before.

(York County)

Default Re: First Pistol

There is no "best". Even if you are looking at a specific application, there will be many different opinions on what is "best".

What is possible is, which would be "best" for you.

One of the best ways to know which is best for you is to shoot many different firearms in various calibers. Which one is best for you will be much easier to you to decide once you have actually held and fired them.

This can be one big advantage of attending a group shoot.

Welcome to PAFOA, and good luck with your decision.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

+1 - Also consider what you want the weapon for... home defense, concealed carry, competition shooting, etc.

(Cumberland County)

I was sort of in your same position. I grew up with a single six but always wanted a 1911. After spending a couple hours in bass pro shops I got a M&P 40. Had every single intention on getting a 1911, but with so many guns to choose from I found myself waying in all options.

If you shoot now, go to a gun range and just start talking to people. I shot a 9mm, .38. .357, and .44 before buying a .40, something I had no experience with but ended up being happy with anyway. If you go with your gut you most likely won't be disapointed.

Ammo isn't exactly cheap or easy to find for any handgun other than .22, keep that in mind as well. You can't really go wrong with a .22 imo, especially if you have no experience with guns. You'll learn to shoot cheaply and will end up buying more guns in the long run. You can get .22 kits for many guns (lie .45's) and then shoot both.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks guys. I plan on using it for a number of different things. Concealed carry(once I have my license), home defense, and just going to the ranges. As of now I'm leaning towards a Colt 1911 or a .40 cal Glock.

(Lebanon County)

Some say that his discharge is luminous.

Welcome aboard.

I suggest you first determine your budget, then your needs for the gun (carry, home defense, etc.) and that will narrow your choices somewhat. Also if you might find semi autos are much more fun at the range - I do. As Curmudgeon said a group shoot is helpful, but so is going to the gun dealer with the largest stock on hand. You can at least get a sense of what feels good in your hand. You will likely find some guns are too small and others too large for your hand. Hopefully some feel "just right" and you can concentrate on those. As for prices, don't be afraid of used guns either - with most modern guns you needn't fear these unless they have been really abused - which you should be able to see.

(Monroe County)

Try as many as you can and find what will work for you. Don't let price be too much of a limitation. If you find something you really like and the price is reasonable it is worth waiting for. I made the mistake of allowing price to dictate the first pistol I purchased. Now 5 years later i am finally purchasing the guns i "should have" purchased. I am fond of glocks and M&Ps. I use an M&P pro for IDPA and a G26 for every day carry. I also just picked up a G17 with night sights (the gun i should have bought in stead of a S&W SIGMA). I have yet to fire it and im thinking of ways to bastardize it with comps and red dot sights. I have made it a goal to keep to 9mm simply because that is what I have a press set up for. I want to keep to one caliber to keep cost down.

Basically find out what you want the gun for and find the one that best meets that need and is comfortable for you.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with Granuale. You need to go and actually hold different pistols. When I bought my first, I did alot of research and had my selection narrowed down to the one I wanted. When I went to the dealer, he showed me that one, plus another pistol. I ended up buying the other one because it "fit" me so well. You can do all the research you want, but you need to see how they feel. Just go to gun shops and talk to the salesman. Try a bunch of different styles, and models, and see what fits you best.

If what you really want is a 1911, then go for it. They've been around for almost 100 yrs, so they might have the bugs worked out by now. Then you have the problem of deciding which 1911. Good luck with that!

Personally, I have 2 Glocks. A G23 (.40) & a G30 (.45). They're well suited for what I need them for- concealed carry, home defense & fun at the range. They didn't cost alot, they're dependable & easy to conceal. I like them both & I find it hard to decide which one I want to carry when I leave the house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast