Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default AK optic reccomendation

I am seriously considering putting handguards with a rail on one of my AK's, then putting an optic on it. I supposed a large diameter, full field red dot is my only option for an optic mounted that far forward? If anybody has one they love I would like to know about it, or if you don't think its worth it just stick with the irons, I'd like to hear about that too. Thanks!

(Columbia County)

Default Re: AK optic reccomendation

You could always get a side optic mount. It'll save you some money, and your options for optics will increase. It attaches to the left-hand side of the receiver. I had one, and it worked pretty well. In the end, I just decided that I like the irons better, though I may switch to ghost ring irons eventually. Here is a link for the side mount:

AK Detachable Side Rail Mount

(Allegheny County)

If you are looking at the CAA/TDI railed hand guards don't bother.

Either use the receiver side mount like he suggested. Or spend the money for an ultimak rail. (gas tube rail) If you get an aimpoint T1 or doctor sized optic it will co-witness with the irons. Anything else you do will obscure the iron sights on the rifle.

If it's a range toy - and you have a million other weapons with which you plan on defending yourself. No big deal. If you ever plan on using it - or it is your only long gun... it might be a better idea to do it a way that does not block your iron sights.

Even JUST having the railed handguard on the rifle has you shooting down the groove in the handguards. The same is true of the ones that cost WAY too much money. The only way to get an optic mounted low enough is to use the ultimak gas tube rail. It is also probably the most solid, as it loops and locks down on the barrel as well.

Hope this helps.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    If you are looking at the CAA/TDI railed hand guards don't bother.

Either use the receiver side mount like he suggested. Or spend the money for an ultimak rail. (gas tube rail) If you get an aimpoint T1 or doctor sized optic it will co-witness with the irons. Anything else you do will obscure the iron sights on the rifle.

If it's a range toy - and you have a million other weapons with which you plan on defending yourself. No big deal. If you ever plan on using it - or it is your only long gun... it might be a better idea to do it a way that does not block your iron sights.

Even JUST having the railed handguard on the rifle has you shooting down the groove in the handguards. The same is true of the ones that cost WAY too much money. The only way to get an optic mounted low enough is to use the ultimak gas tube rail. It is also probably the most solid, as it loops and locks down on the barrel as well.

Hope this helps.
    +1

Depending on what model AK you have, your best but is the ultimak and Aimpoint T-1. d90king as that setup on two of his AKs. I've shot one of them and the combo is great. I know he has posted them before if you look around. He was consistently hitting a 1" pipe @ 100yrds. with that setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Chester County)

The Ultimak and Aimpoint Micro T1 is the best setup I have handled to date. Here is a couple pics of the setup on a Arsenal SAM-7 Carbine and a SGL20 ... With the right AK it is a very accurate combination.

(Delaware County)

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the info, its always nice to know just what to get so as not to waste money on trial and error!! This AK is one of two fully converted Saiga's I had, just sold the other so I figured I spiff this one up a bit. As for its use, it lives downstairs in the safe, not in the bedroom with the handgun and shotgun, and it is mostly a range toy, but if things ever went very, very wrong, it is the rifle I would grab. I'm pretty sure both those componants will work fine with the Saiga, I'll let you know!

(Northampton County)

I like this one since it mounts to the existing fixed rear sight and not the removable hand guard. More likely to keep zero.

Plus, it will priced and Larue is legendary for its quality.

LaRue Tactical AK-IronDot

Simply remove your AK's rear sight and drop this robust, yet lightweight, mini red-dot in its place.

We've listened to our more discriminating customers and have added the Docter MRD, as an option for the popular AK-IronDot. For those on a tighter budget, we still offer the economically-priced Burris. Both AK-IronDot models have an integral rear-sight blade for cowitnessing irons. An armored shroud protects the optic, and has access cutouts for the power switch and windage control. The entire unit pivots up and out of the way for easy removal of the receiver cover when cleaning your weapon. Replaces the stock rear sight in seconds.

Features:
    - Docter or Burris FastFire MRD Optic (make selection to the right)
    - Weight: Approx 3.5 oz.
    - Steel Backbone
    - Integral rear iron sight

Docter Combo Price: $535.95
    Burris FastFire Combo Price: $285.00

AK-IronDot is a trademark of LaRue Tactical. Patent pending.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah you beat me to it. I forgot to list that one as well.

IMO those are probably the only 2 ways I would do it. (Ultimak / T1, larue iron dot)

All the receiver mounts are high and off center. (but allow you to shoot through the irons still.) And the dust cover mounts are retarded. Same as the forend handguard / rail mounts. They will block your irons and leave the optic high anyway.

I think the iron dot would be good for smaler weapons and side folders you want to button up to small packages. (Like an AMD 65) While the ultimak / T1 I think I would want for my full size fixed stock AK. (Romanian)

The next big thing is the T1. $500 red dot. Awesome? Yup. Durable? Yup. Affordable? If bullets are flying at me that's what I would want. But if that's too steep for you Primary Arms makes very good knock offs. Although I don't think they have the micro in stock right now. They are usually between $60-100. But they actually work.

People have dropped them, and fired a couple thousand rounds on them without failure.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Yeah you beat me to it. I forgot to list that one as well.

IMO those are probably the only 2 ways I would do it. (Ultimak / T1, larue iron dot)

All the receiver mounts are high and off center. (but allow you to shoot through the irons still.) And the dust cover mounts are retarded. Same as the forend handguard / rail mounts. They will block your irons and leave the optic high anyway.

I think the iron dot would be good for smaler weapons and side folders you want to button up to small packages. (Like an AMD 65) While the ultimak / T1 I think I would want for my full size fixed stock AK. (Romanian)

The next big thing is the T1. $500 red dot. Awesome? Yup. Durable? Yup. Affordable? If bullets are flying at me that's what I would want. But if that's too steep for you Primary Arms makes very good knock offs. Although I don't think they have the micro in stock right now. They are usually between $60-100. But they actually work.

People have dropped them, and fired a couple thousand rounds on them without failure.

Ok great, I've got a couple of good option to check out and pick from now. For the guys who actually have optics mounted on their AK's, let me ask you this question: Is it worth it?? I know some of you guys are pretty hard core into training with your AK's, d90king I think I've even heard you refrence Vickers classes that you have taken. I have never taken an AK class per se, although I have done a good bit of running around doing drills and such with some guys who have. I'm no spetsnaz, but I can run the rifle OK with the irons for my purposes! So how much faster/more accurate/more confident does your optic allow you to be? Or should I take the $$ I would have spent and actually take a class?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    I know some of you guys are pretty hard core into training with your AK's, d90king I think I've even heard you refrence Vickers classes that you have taken. I have never taken an AK class per se, although I have done a good bit of running around doing drills and such with some guys who have. I'm no spetsnaz, but I can run the rifle OK with the irons for my purposes! So how much faster/more accurate/more confident does your optic allow you to be? Or should I take the $$ I would have spent and actually take a class?
    Kb... First let me start with the Ultimak/T1... The setup really helps to mitigate one of the 3 shortcomings of the AK platform. The short radius, when combined with a rear leaf that is opened up to the size of a gnat's ass, makes fast hits difficult... The T1 is VERY fast on target and allows for much more precise shooting, it is much more accurate than most would ever believe achievable out of the platform. Like Mojo said I was banging 1"-1.5 piece of steel at 100yds with very little effort with a 4MOA dot. When you learn to use the edges of your dot you can make very good hits out to 200-300 yds.

You mentioned the class with Vickers (which I highly recommend) in that class there were about 6-8 guys running this combo. The guys running it, were definitely faster and some were hitting steel at 200yds with relative ease. It was the general opinion of the class that that it greatly improved both speed and accuracy. For the record LAV ran a plain Jane Wasr with irons... It did have nice wood though...

All of that said, it is relatively expensive, and if you don't need it for your utilization of the platform it might be money that would be better spent in other areas.

Here is how I see it, if you shoot your AK a lot or want to take classes with it, and you want to be able to get more out of your rifle... You cant go wrong with the combo. It will last you a lifetime, and elevates the rifles abilities, it improves both your speed on target and your overall accuracy with the platform.

If you only shoot your rifle every once in a while and it isn't one of your primary platforms... Spend your money on others areas of your collection that are more important to you.

Here's a pic that gives you an idea of what it looks like from the rear doing work...
    Last edited by d90king; September 28th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast