Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Review: Advantage arms 22 kit for glock

So, i've got a half dozen inexperienced shooters who want me to train them up this summer, so i went out and purchased an Advantage arms 22 conversion kit for my Glock 19. I'm figuring this will be a good way to start them off by keeping it fun, inexpensive and not intimidating.

Let me hit on the functional aspects of the kit quickly so i can get to the aspects of training with the kit.

Fit and finish on the kit is great. I cycled about 400 rounds of remington golden bullets from a $12 walmart 550rd value pack through it with zero malfunctions. The conversion pretty much handles just like a glock, the only difference being that the kit makes the gun lighter, and, of course, recoil is absent.

The fact that the conversion functions exactly like the glock i feel makes it a good training aid for the glock pistol. Less changes going to the glock 19 from the conversion kit than going from, say, a ruger mkII. You can learn the proper way to handle a glock on cheap, light recoil ammo. For more experienced shooters, this is simply way more entertaining and probably more useful than dry fire. You get to work on all your movements and weapon manipulations at about 2 cents a pop versus 14. Just make sure you end the day with at least 100 round of 9mm. The first 20-30 rounds will feel like a cannon until your brain catches up.

Edit: uh, that's remington golden bullets, thanks buckmark.
    Last edited by MarcS; July 5th, 2007 at 10:42 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Review: Advantage arms 22 kit for glock

To whoever decided to give me negative feedback on this thread

this has been done to death!
    Wipe the fucking sand out of your vagina or at least grow a pair and bring up your gripes in open forum.
    Last edited by MarcS; July 3rd, 2007 at 04:54 PM.

(Luzerne County)

what was the cost of the kit?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    what was the cost of the kit?
    about $250, expect to pay 300 if you want a couple more mags. Equivalent or less than what a complete 22 costs.

Nice Report, I thought of buying one of those But at the Cost of a decent .22 pistol I just can't see it. Maybe if the dropped the price to a more realistic cost then it would be more appealing.

What is the reason to finish with 9mm?? Your idea? or manufacturers?
    Recoil Happens

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Nice Report, I thought of buying one of those But at the Cost of a decent .22 pistol I just can't see it. Maybe if the dropped the price to a more realistic cost then it would be more appealing.

What is the reason to finish with 9mm?? Your idea? or manufacturers?

Finish with 9mm because nothing is a replacement for practicing with full recoil loads.

(Allegheny County)

Good post,

I'll have to check into one of those and no ,it hasn't been done to death (I liked the reply).

There is a lot of info on this board that has been repeated many times but I'm sure it hits a new set of eyes each time.

27hand

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    So, i've got a half dozen inexperienced shooters who want me to train them up this summer, so i went out and purchased an Advantage arms 22 conversion kit for my Glock 19. I'm figuring this will be a good way to start them off by keeping it fun, inexpensive and not intimidating.

Let me hit on the functional aspects of the kit quickly so i can get to the aspects of training with the kit.

Fit and finish on the kit is great. I cycled about 400 rounds of winchester golden bullets from a $12 walmart 550rd value pack through it with zero malfunctions. The conversion pretty much handles just like a glock, the only difference being that the kit makes the gun lighter, and, of course, recoil is absent.

The fact that the conversion functions exactly like the glock i feel makes it a good training aid for the glock pistol. Less changes going to the glock 19 from the conversion kit than going from, say, a ruger mkII. You can learn the proper way to handle a glock on cheap, light recoil ammo. For more experienced shooters, this is simply way more entertaining and probably more useful than dry fire. You get to work on all your movements and weapon manipulations at about 2 cents a pop versus 14. Just make sure you end the day with at least 100 round of 9mm. The first 20-30 rounds will feel like a cannon until your brain catches up.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bedford County)

REMINGTON makes the Golden Bullets

Just bustin' balls.

My Advantage Arms G19 kit has been pretty good also, except I have yet to get the Golden Bullets to cycle through mine 100% My kit, and my friend Ryan's are both kinda picky about Rem. Golden Bullets.

My kit feeds CCI Mini-Mags flawlessly. At $5.50 per 100, they are much cheaper than 9mm and very accurate.

For $225 I love mine!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    REMINGTON makes the Golden Bullets

Just bustin' balls.

My Advantage Arms G19 kit has been pretty good also, except I have yet to get the Golden Bullets to cycle through mine 100% My kit, and my friend Ryan's are both kinda picky about Rem. Golden Bullets.

My kit feeds CCI Mini-Mags flawlessly. At $5.50 per 100, they are much cheaper than 9mm and very accurate.

For $225 I love mine!
    my mistake. Mine ran 400 rounds of bulk pack right out of the box flawlessly. I was impressed considering i had talked to you and you said yours was a bit picky.

Are you running yours on a Glock 17 or 19? If it's a 17, i wonder if the extra slide mass makes yours a bit more picky about the occasional inconsistent load.
    Last edited by MarcS; July 5th, 2007 at 10:44 AM.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    my mistake. Mine ran 400 rounds of bulk pack right out of the box flawlessly. I was impressed considering i had talked to you and you said yours was a bit picky.

Are you running yours on a Glock 17 or 19? If it's a 17, i wonder if the extra slide mass makes yours a bit more picky about the occasional inconsistent load.
    My kit is on the G19.

My friend ( not a member here) had his kit for a year before I bought mine. His is also for the G19. His was also picky with Golden Bullets. His has almost fixed itself with over 2,000 rounds thru it.

My G19 kit was the same when new. I would have a failure to eject/feed with Golden bullets almost certainly due to low powered junkers in the box. My failure rate was between 1 every 10 rounds to 1 every 20 rounds. Other value pack ammo was even worse.

I checked over the entire kit including the magazine, and found no real problems. I polished the feed ramp with Flitz metal polish, and switched to the CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain jacketed soft points. It has been 100% ever since.

At $5.50 per 100, I will continue to feed it the Mini-mags. I have no problem with paying 1/3 the price of WWB 9mm ammo. Maybe after 2000 rounds or so, I will try the cheaper Rem's again.

With the CCI's my kit will shoot incredible groups. It out-shoots any Glock I have ever fired, and would hold its own against many .22 "target" pistols. It shoots one ragged hole groups off hand at 25 yards, and will hold 5 shot groups on a paper plate at 100 yards...and thats not me...at that distance, with other guns, I SUK!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast