Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default how-to start a gunshop

Hey gang, I'm looking into starting my own small shop and was looking for some practicle step by step advice, i am already working on my FFL, but as far as suppliers and distributors i am in the dark , any help would be great , thanks, tim.

Well as far as distribuiters, there's Bonitz Brothers in/near Harrisburg, and there's a wholsaler in Lebanon county that only sells to FFL holders(I think), can't remember the name though, if I can find it again I'll let you know.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

jdlv4_0, are you referring to Ron Shirk in Lebanon?

There is one in/near Wilkes Barre as well. Why not go into a gun shop and ask around?

If you do open up a gun shop, please don't charge city prices...LOL...seems that in the Philly area...everyone wants to make a huge profit on each transaction. I suggest quanity sales...to get repeat customers.

might be him, I was there only once and basicly got kicked out. Ditto on the city prices, it's amazing that with in a 1 hour drive prices fall dramaticly.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Why aren't you in the chat room now? Chat room is better than the forum...IMO.

(Westmoreland County)

If you ask my one friend who used to have a gunshop he would suggest burning down every Wal-Mart in the area. I'm a diehard capitalist who likes Wal-Mart. Just don't try to compete with the them for the same old standard products...get the fun stuff that they're afraid to get . Best of luck!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Why aren't you in the chat room now? Chat room is better than the forum...IMO.
    In the chat room information isn't saved to be read by other people in the future. I'd much prefer actual discussions happen here and are supplemented by the chat room.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Default Might look up

Jerry's sports they have every thing and only sell to ffl https://www.jerryssportscenter.com/
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

I would say that the general advice is: if you want to start your own business X, then work FOR an existing business X for a while and learn the ropes that way. Then you see who the distributors are, how to deal with invoicing, receipts, records, inventory, taxes, etc.

I'm guessing that the gun business is like any other business: only 5% about guns, an 95% generic business hassles.

(Beaver County)

In a successful gunshop, most of your profit comes from the sales of ammunition and accessories rather than guns, so you need to keep a good stock of those things on hand. Mark up on them is usually in the neighborhood of 100%. As for the guns, not trying to compete with Walmart prices on things like a Ruger 10/22 is good advice. On the stuff they carry, you will never be able to undersell them. You need to have a better selection and better service . You should keep a good inventory of the kind of stuff they don't carry. Having an inventory is important. Don't try to run your gunshop like a catalog store. When John Q. comes in with his income tax refund in hand to buy a gun, he wants to buy a gun, not hear "No, I don't have it but I can order it for you." John Q. will accept that for something relatively rare or pricey, but he'll just run to another store if what he wanted was something mainstream like a Remington 700 variant or a Marlin .45-70. BTW, repeat business is what will keep you going. John Q. will only buy a couple guns in his whole life; you need to keep him coming back for ammo, cleaning supplies, holsters, knives, and other gun-related stuff. The more pleasant his memories of your shop, the more likely he'll come back. IOW, salesmanship is every bit as important in the gun business as it is in any other sales-based business.