Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AMT 45 ??

(Luzerne County)

Default AMT 45 ??

What do you guys think of a AMT 45 Back up? Years ago I had a 380 but it jambed up alot with HP bullets. Have a line on a 45 at a good price if it is worth it. Thanks randy

(Monroe County)

Default Re: AMT 45 ??

Theyre great if you're just a collector, but never depend on anything from AMT to save your life, not reliable as you stated yourself, and they have not improved.

Nyman

(Northumberland County)

I'm pretty sure I heard that, at least with the early ones, you should only use FMJs (hardball ammo) for them to feed right. This led to the nickname "Hardballers," if I remember correctly. I think some of the early ones also had issues with the slide "welding" itself to the frame for some reason too. There was a specific name for this phenomenon, I just don't remember it. From what I've read though, AMT fixed the issues after the first couple years of production.

BTW, if it is a hardballer, there is a decent article on Wikipedia about them. And the "welding" issues I mentioned is called galling.
    Last edited by Rural Ruger; September 27th, 2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: More Info

(Allegheny County)

If you're referring to the AMT DAO Back Up, the trigger pull on the one I shot was about 20 pounds. If you could somehow verify that the one you have the chance to get works 100% reliably it might be a good choice for a back-up/belly gun. You probably won't want to do much target shooting with it.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.