Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Experiences with Kel Tec P11...?

So I'm getting back into shooting after many years, took a basic class, got my LTCF and needed a dependable, affordable, concealable gun.

Did some research and decided on the P11. I'd have preferred a revolver but the ones that fit my needs were over my budget.

Fired 50 rounds through it without incident. I was glad the salesman was wrong, he said it might need some "breaking in."

I know it's not the Cadillac of firearms but it seems solid and dependable and pretty accurate, though some of my coworkers say it's dicey and that they all wind up back at the factory for repair.

The looong trigger pull is (probably) affecting my aim and should improve with practice right?

Any thoughts/comments/experiences with this gun?

Thanks.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Experiences with Kel Tec P11...?

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    ..... needed a dependable, affordable, concealable gun. decided on the P11.

Fired 50 rounds through it without incident.

not the Cadillac of firearms . . . . solid and dependable and pretty accurate,

The looong trigger pull is (probably) affecting my aim and should improve with practice right?

Any thoughts/comments/experiences with this gun?

Thanks.

Let me be the first to comment. You need solid, dependable, accurate, reliable, concealable - - you got it, along with "economical".

The ease of shooting it is something you acquire with practice and familiarization. A Cadillac it most assuredly is not, though if you ever have to use it for "social purposes", the recipient of the attention will neither know nor care how much you paid for it, or what its brand name may happen to be. What matters is that you can and do use it with confidence and skill, both of which come from continued practice with it.

The trigger DOES require some getting used to, but on due consideration, it is no worse than a well-tuned Smith&Wesson revolver being fired double-action. Triggers can also be helped by donig a "fluff & buff" as it is called. Instructions and other information are found on the website of the "Kel-Tec Owners' Group" (KTOG) http://www.ktog.org/ in the "Tech Werks" section.

The "Pinky-hook" (finger-extension magazine floorplate) adds significantly to the grip and therefore shootability, I feel. Accuracy from this gun is satisfactory, considering the size and sight-radius. Again, user familiarization and practice raises probability of result enormously.

Since getting my first one, I have become an unabashed fan of the practicality and suitability of the P-11 for the task you just defined. I like it, I bought one and gave it to my daughter, I bought another for my wife, and am in the process of finding another for my other daughter (the sons will have to make do with 1911-A1's I'm afraid, or buy their own KelTecs).

I have the belt clip for mine, and I do find it a valid and versatile carry-medium. There are those who differ, as is their right. Their experience may not parallel mine. It works (and very well) for me.

I have also a P3AT which is a teriffic "Sunday-go-to-meeting" gun which virtually disappears in any pocket it may be dropped into. My P-32 (which is of the same dimninutive size as the P3AT) is just as much fun to shoot but I do not rely on it for social purposes, due to the anemic character of the 32ACP round, especially when larger, more servicable rounds (guns) are available. Although it is still superior to the 25ACP round, it and the 25 are marginal for self-defense at best - still, "better than nothing".

Good choice,

There will be others who disagree, and some even post harsh invective and vile imprecations regarding this little gem. Practical thinkers and serious shooters will try them for themselves with a fair amount of common sense and industrious practice. The firearm speaks well for itself.

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; September 25th, 2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: "economical"
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

i have many KT products and am very happy with all of them. they aren't for everybody, but if you like them they are great! mine have all been dead reliable and shoot well and accurately.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Delaware County)

Mine has been utterly reliable through several thousand rounds. The trigger is not good and has a huge amount of over travel. I thoroughly disagree with the contention that it is equivalent to a well tuned S&W. Practice will generate proficiency, but it would be easier with a better trigger. I have nothing against a good polish of the internals, but I would not lighten the hammer spring. On a gun of this type anything that reduces reliably is a poor choice. On mine, the trigger guard had some casting flash that chewed my trigger finger raw. 60 seconds with Her Majesty's emery board fixed that.

Anyway, I used it as my primary carry gun for a couple of years with complete satisfaction. Most of the time I carried it using the factory belt clip which I recommend. It currently sees duty by the front door for answering late night knocks and I'll still pop it in the waistband for the occasional quick trip or "what was that" investigation.

I've used a P11 as my carry gun for the past 3 years.
    It's a very good combination of size, weight and stopping power.
    It's always been reliable for me as well.
    I HIGHLY recommend the magazine extension, and I also use a Hogue rubber grip to better fit my large hands.
    The long trigger pull is something you just have to get used to. It's not bad, just different. Practice!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The trigger is not good and has a huge amount of over travel. I thoroughly disagree with the contention that it is equivalent to a well tuned S&W. .
    !! ???

I bobbled that one, didn't I? My Model 19's are screaming from the safe.....!

I should have said "the trigger pull weight is....."

Overtravel is cured per KTOG instructions.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Well it's been a couple of weeks and I've put several hundred rounds through the gun without incident. Works flawlessly with JHP and FMJ. I was a little concerned about feeding the HPs but had no problem.

My aim has improved with experience, as I hoped, despite my deteriorating eyesight. (Guess I'll have to have that cataract surgery sooner than I thought!) I'm getting a better feel for the gun and really feel comfortable and confident with it.

I'd also like to add the extensions to the bottom of the mags for better grip but no one seems to have them, even online. Also heard there's a trigger add-on of some kind, I'm looking for info about that as well. I'd like to shorten the travel a bit, if it doesn't compromise safety, but don't want to change the spring tension. Maybe I'll even "fluff and buff" when I get some time.

There are some very minor issues with the gun: The bottom of the trigger digs into my finger after a while ... but a file or some emery cloth should resolve this in short order.

One magazine seems to snag going in but a little wiggle makes it work. Still something I'd rather not have to deal with in an emergency.
    The other mag slides in and out perfectly so I'm not sure if this is a gun or mag problem... will have to examine and compare them closely.

Also, there's nothing in the manual about +P loads so I called and asked them. (After only one menu selection a human actually spoke to me!) All he said was they should be used sparingly.

All in all this is a great conceal carry gun, I barely know it's there. I find it completely reliable, sufficiently powerful, ample capacity and very affordable.

Thanks to all for your input and I hope my experiences help someone in the future.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Well it's been a couple of weeks and I've put several hundred rounds through the gun without incident. Works flawlessly with JHP and FMJ. I was a little concerned about feeding the HPs but had no problem.

My aim has improved with experience, as I hoped, despite my deteriorating eyesight. (Guess I'll have to have that cataract surgery sooner than I thought!) I'm getting a better feel for the gun and really feel comfortable and confident with it.

I'd also like to add the extensions to the bottom of the mags for better grip but no one seems to have them, even online. Also heard there's a trigger add-on of some kind, I'm looking for info about that as well. I'd like to shorten the travel a bit, if it doesn't compromise safety, but don't want to change the spring tension. Maybe I'll even "fluff and buff" when I get some time.

There are some very minor issues with the gun: The bottom of the trigger digs into my finger after a while ... but a file or some emery cloth should resolve this in short order.

One magazine seems to snag going in but a little wiggle makes it work. Still something I'd rather not have to deal with in an emergency.
    The other mag slides in and out perfectly so I'm not sure if this is a gun or mag problem... will have to examine and compare them closely.

Also, there's nothing in the manual about +P loads so I called and asked them. (After only one menu selection a human actually spoke to me!) All he said was they should be used sparingly.

All in all this is a great conceal carry gun, I barely know it's there. I find it completely reliable, sufficiently powerful, ample capacity and very affordable.

Thanks to all for your input and I hope my experiences help someone in the future.

Good deal . I've had real good luck with my kel tec pf9 BUG and my wife's P3AT .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Allegheny County)

My brother and I both have P-11s. Mine is about 6 years older than his. Other than my extractor breaking (maintenance issue). I have had no problems. I've fired FMJs HP's, and I've never had a FTF or FTE.
    I carry it daily and trust my life with it. It may not be the most accurate, but i trust it with my life and would not have a problem hitting a target in the 15 to 20 ft area.
    Overall it's a great gun and KEL TEC has awesome customer service. They sent me a new extractor, spring, guide rod, and guide rod spring all for free and fast.
    Overall a great gun for the money.

(Allegheny County)

My brother had a P-11 for a while, I had a P32. Never had any malfunctions with them but I HATED shooting them. Long heavy pull and the recoil hurt a bit.

It's a good gun if that's what you can afford. However, I could never go back to one. I put about 100 rounds through the XD without blinking. 5 through the P-11 and I was wincing and flinching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast