Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Smile Make the Classifieds Section More Specific

I think it would be a great idea if the Classified Section (specifically the firearms section) was broken up into more categories. Right now, there is a ton of stuff posted in the firearms section. If a person was looking for a particular gun, it would be extremely difficult for a person to find something because there is so much to sift through.

My proposal would involve breaking that section up into 4 categories.

1. Rifles (that will be sold for cash)
    2. Handguns (pistols and revolvers that will be sold for cash)
    3. Shotguns (that will be sold for cash)
    4. Trades (guns that will be traded for other guns)

If the firearms section was broken up into 4 categories, it would be easier for people to find what they are looking for. In addition, it would be easier for sellers to advertise their items to interested customers (since it would be easier for customers to find).

What do you think about this suggestion? Do you think it's reasonable?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Make the Classifieds Section More Specific

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I think it would be a great idea if the Classified Section (specifically the firearms section) was broken up into more categories. Right now, there is a ton of stuff posted in the firearms section. If a person was looking for a particular gun, it would be extremely difficult for a person to find something because there is so much to sift through.

My proposal would involve breaking that section up into 4 categories.

1. Rifles (that will be sold for cash)
    2. Handguns (pistols and revolvers that will be sold for cash)
    3. Shotguns (that will be sold for cash)
    4. Trades (guns that will be traded for other guns)

If the firearms section was broken up into 4 categories, it would be easier for people to find what they are looking for. In addition, it would be easier for sellers to advertise their items to interested customers (since it would be easier for customers to find).

What do you think about this suggestion? Do you think it's reasonable?
    i agree......while the "search this thread" feature works fine in the firearms section, etc....having it broken up into at least "pistols" and "rifles/shotguns" would make it more convenient.

(Lancaster County)

i second or i guess it would be third this suggestion. it would definitely make finding things much easier.

(Bucks County)

Even if the WantToBuy (WTB) threads had their own section, it would really clean things up.

(Allegheny County)

I don't see why this requires additional sub-forums. There just doesn't seem to be the volume to support it. It seems to me that this could be solved by having people post more descriptive thread titles.

It seems like we get a lot of new forum requests here. One important thing to consider is that a topic doesn't generate enough traffic to support a subforum, the content of that sub-forum will get very stale.

If the content gets stale, people will avoid the sub-forum because nothing of interest gets posted there. Which means that fewer people will post there, making the situation worse.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I don't see why this requires additional sub-forums. There just doesn't seem to be the volume to support it. It seems to me that this could be solved by having people post more descriptive thread titles.
    I agree. I check the classifieds regularly here and it's really only maybe 50 guns for sale at any given time. Once the ad gets to be a few days old it's either been sold or gets bumped.

I've looked in the classifieds for something specific and ended up finding something completely different because of the variety of what is listed, limiting it or breaking it up would make that less likely and therefore more difficult to sell a gun as well.

I've also sold guns because of seeing a WTB ad while browsing for what was being sold, so separating the two would make it less likely for those people to have success in finding what they're looking for.

I will say that I would love for Accessories and Ammunition to be split into two separate categories. There seems to be more ads for accessories than ammo, so for someone selling ammo it's difficult. Most people don't look beyond the first page or two so if 15 people post ads for holsters and scopes right after you put up your ammo it gets pushed to the back pretty quickly making it harder to sell, and more difficult for buyers to find.

All in all, I think the classifieds section on PAFOA is excellent.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post

It seems like we get a lot of new forum requests here. One important thing to consider is that a topic doesn't generate enough traffic to support a subforum, the content of that sub-forum will get very stale.

If the content gets stale, people will avoid the sub-forum because nothing of interest gets posted there. Which means that fewer people will post there, making the situation worse.
    Ok, perhaps there isn't enough traffic now. However, in the future, there will definitely be more traffic on the forum. You will start to see more young gun owners (such as myself) who rely on computers much more to network with other gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I agree. I check the classifieds regularly here and it's really only maybe 50 guns for sale at any given time. Once the ad gets to be a few days old it's either been sold or gets bumped.

I've looked in the classifieds for something specific and ended up finding something completely different because of the variety of what is listed, limiting it or breaking it up would make that less likely and therefore more difficult to sell a gun as well.

I've also sold guns because of seeing a WTB ad while browsing for what was being sold, so separating the two would make it less likely for those people to have success in finding what they're looking for.

I will say that I would love for Accessories and Ammunition to be split into two separate categories. There seems to be more ads for accessories than ammo, so for someone selling ammo it's difficult. Most people don't look beyond the first page or two so if 15 people post ads for holsters and scopes right after you put up your ammo it gets pushed to the back pretty quickly making it harder to sell, and more difficult for buyers to find.

All in all, I think the classifieds section on PAFOA is excellent.
    I guess that will work for now. But splitting up the threads in the future (when there is more traffic) would greatly benefit people who know exactly what they want to buy.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Ok, perhaps there isn't enough traffic now. However, in the future, there will definitely be more traffic on the forum. You will start to see more young gun owners (such as myself) who rely on computers much more to network with other gun owners.
    If it ever gets to that point, I will most likely stop using forum software to run classifieds. I already think it's woefully inadequate, it's just not a priority to fix.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking