Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Why are hunting numbers down so low?

Quote Originally Posted by Booner View Post
    Oddly enough, hunting license sales are up significantly this year...
    got a source?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Yes, the PGC. I have worked for them for the last 18 years. We had a district meeting last week, and one of the items on the agenda was license sales. They are up across the board (at this point) this year. I believe the data is posted on the PGC website. We will have to see how it all shakes out, but it was surprising given the current state of the economy.

(Monroe County)

Yes, the PGC. I have worked for them for the last 18 years. We had a district meeting last week, and one of the items on the agenda was license sales. They are up across the board (at this point) this year. I believe the data is posted on the PGC website. We will have to see how it all shakes out, but it was surprising given the current state of the economy.
    Actually its not really a surprise... if you butcher your own the cost of meat gained by hunting is much cheaper then buying (assuming you hunted in the past and have everything you need)

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=511&q=159015

(No numbers for 2009)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

From what I heard it costs about $70 on average to have the deer processed. This is the basics, jerky/beef sticks/ground meat.

Special cuts like steaks really increase the price.

Then again this is just what I've been told, as I've never been hunting before and none of my close friends have either. Luckily thats about to change this year

I guess I'm just going to start making calls or stopping in at local butchers and ask them about their pricing, see whats best.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    From what I heard it costs about $70 on average to have the deer processed. This is the basics, jerky/beef sticks/ground meat.

Special cuts like steaks really increase the price.

Then again this is just what I've been told, as I've never been hunting before and none of my close friends have either. Luckily thats about to change this year

I guess I'm just going to start making calls or stopping in at local butchers and ask them about their pricing, see whats best.
    Where are you going? I'd LOVE to go there.

For me last year it was 70.00 for my deer to be processed, I could have saved 5.00 if I didn't get it vacuum sealed.

That was hamburger (approx 55 pounds) mixed with beef (or was it pork, can never remember) and the only "special cut" was having the tenderloins butterflied. Everything else got ground

We did another dear into pepper sticks and cheese bologna and the bill was around 110. The owner did throw in some free stuff for us to try which was awesome but its still pricey. Far as I can tell that is pretty standard.

Your best bet is to do your own. I'll be giving it a go this year... we'll see how that works out

Oddly enough, hunting license sales are up significantly this year...
    That wouldn't surprise me. There are an awful lot of people out of work with nothing better to do. Might as well try and put some venison in the freezer.
    FUCK BIDEN

Cutting up your own deer is the only way to go. It does take time to do it correctly, but well worth it. Very rewarding too. I hate to say it, but you may notice you get more meat in the end as well. Not to mention that you’re actually eating your deer. When you order processed meats (bologna and such) it’s often done in large batches.

Try this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Cooki.../dp/086573108X

It’s basic but very good photographs showing the muscle groups and so forth.

Actually I think my SO bought that book for me from Dunkelberger’s.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

Two things that will get more young people out hunting that will never happen:
    1- Start hunting seasons on a saturday so to allow school age to go without missing any class.
    2- Allow sunday hunting ,at least in some areas.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Two things that will get more young people out hunting that will never happen:
    1- Start hunting seasons on a saturday so to allow school age to go without missing any class.
    2- Allow sunday hunting ,at least in some areas.
    Yup, you are 100% on the money.

Open rifle season the saturday after thanksgiving and legalize sunday hunting and you will see an immediate increase in the number of licenses sold.

Even better - Open it on Friday (Black Friday?) to youth hunting.

Not only will the deer harvest meet goals as opposed to what is happening now but you will get kids out in the woods again without worrying about the Orange army, at least for one day.

(Lackawanna County)

When I was in school, we always had the first Monday of buck season off. I think we still do.
    Last edited by geist262; September 25th, 2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Edited for a mistake.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast