Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Walnut season!!

(Dauphin County)

Default Walnut season!!

I don't know about you guys, but I have a few big walnut trees outside of the house and a mountain behind them and this is my favorite .22 sporting season. Targets and cans are alright for shooting, but with walnuts, you get to see them actually burst apart when you hit them. Nothing like going outside, looking up in the tree and finding literally thousands of targets staring back at you. Works will with a .17hmr as well as i'm finding out this season. Anyone else take up this sport this time of the year? It's much better than letting the walnuts fall to the ground and having to collect them, and believe me, there's still more than enough to go around at harvest!

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default Re: Walnut season!!

I picked up a few off the floor the other day and set them out at 25 feet and hit them with my pistol. I couldn't find any of them to see what happened to them. Oh well.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mlbgpride View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I have a few big walnut trees outside of the house and a mountain behind them and this is my favorite .22 sporting season. Targets and cans are alright for shooting, but with walnuts, you get to see them actually burst apart when you hit them. Nothing like going outside, looking up in the tree and finding literally thousands of targets staring back at you. Works will with a .17hmr as well as i'm finding out this season. Anyone else take up this sport this time of the year? It's much better than letting the walnuts fall to the ground and having to collect them, and believe me, there's still more than enough to go around at harvest!
    I hope you have a good shot-fall area when shooting into the air. Nothing up on that mountain?

That bullet has to land SOMEWHERE !

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(York County)

I was thinking of a 17 hmr. only because I saw Explosive ammo at Wal-mart. I bet that would be fun for you... not so much for the walnuts though.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mlbgpride View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I have a few big walnut trees outside of the house and a mountain behind them and this is my favorite .22 sporting season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I hope you have a good shot-fall area when shooting into the air. Nothing up on that mountain?

That bullet has to land SOMEWHERE !

Flash
    *scratches head*

where does it say he's shooting into the air????? sounds to me like there's a solid ground behind those trees.

shoot away...
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Schuylkill County)

(Dauphin County)

Yup, there's plenty of clearance for my bullets. I rarely ever shoot high enough to make it over the mountain, but if I did, the river is on the other side. And there's nothing up in the mountain to worry about.

I may have to check into that incendiary ammo for the .17 hmr. Next time I'm all walmart, I'm going to look into that, that sounds like a blast!