Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breaking in a new rifle

I just bought my first brand new rifle (Thompson Centure Venture .270) and I want to know what the best method of breaking in the rifle is. I'm planning on going to the range on Saturday, so I didn't want to do anything that would damage or compromise the integrity of the barrel or action. Any advise would be awesome.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Breaking in a new rifle

Quote Originally Posted by captain luke View Post
    I just bought my first brand new rifle (Thompson Centure Venture .270) and I want to know what the best method of breaking in the rifle is. I'm planning on going to the range on Saturday, so I didn't want to do anything that would damage or compromise the integrity of the barrel or action. Any advise would be awesome.
    This has been discussed here a few times before and there is never an agreement to the "best" way. It usually ends with one of the following two:

1. Take it to the range and just shoot it. Clean it when you get home
    2. Shoot 1-3 then clean, do that twice. Shoot 5-8 rounds, then clean, do that a few times. Than clean after 10 more rounds. (or some close variation to that).

Do a search on barrel break in or something like that. It should bring up a few threads.

Welcome to the forum, by the way
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Thanks for the advice. The first way seems to be a short-cut. I've found a bunch of different ways to do it, but I'm kind of looking for a "real-world" example. It's nice to be on this forum. Even for a Texan! haha Go 'Horns!!!!!!!!!!!

(Centre County)

Read over the manual that came with the gun, many times the manufacturer will tell you the best way to break in the supplied barrel. Sometimes different barrels require different break in procedures. If you look at a benchrest forum, they have specific ways that they say is the best way to break in a bench rest barrel made by a specific company. For a standard rifle, IMO, just go out and shoot a few shots, do a quick cleaning and then shoot a few more rounds to see if they are going where you are aiming. If so, you're good to go.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by captain luke View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The first way seems to be a short-cut. I've found a bunch of different ways to do it, but I'm kind of looking for a "real-world" example. It's nice to be on this forum. Even for a Texan! haha Go 'Horns!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not sure if I would really call it a short cut. I believe Arrrgh15 took the first way with his competition rifle that he uses to shoot 1,000 yrds.

IMHO, it's just difference in philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

IIRC, Armalite has specific instructions when you get a gun from them depending on if it a National Match barrel or a standard barrel.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Carbon County)

I believe in a technique like this for most rifles is best:

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.co...-break-in.html

however, without a bore guide you are probably best off with a bore snake and snaking as the 'clean' operation for that first range trip, then get a guide and do a more complete clean later, like after 15-20 rounds.

I agree with this above page more barrels are worn or damaged by cleaning then by shooting.

(York County)

I broke in a Remington 700 PSS .223 caliber in this way and the rifle is a Tack Driver.
    Clean the rifle first removing any copper residue with Sweets .762.
    Clean with Hoppies #9 after each shot for the first five rounds.
    Clean then with Sweets. Remove all copper residue.
    For the next five shots clean with Sweets after every shot.
    Shoot three shots, clean with Hoppies.
    Shoot three shots Clean with Sweets.
    Then shoot for a group and see what you come up with!
    I break every rifle in this way and it works for me. It takes time but the results are worth it.
    I can now shoot up to 65 shots before the point of impact starts to move a little left.
    Every barrel has microscopic Burrs in the rifiling and must be "Burnished" off to improve accuracy. By removing the powder and copper residue each shot you allow the bullet to wear these Burrs off.
    Once the Burrs are gone accuracy is at the max and the rifle will be easy to clean from then on.

Good Luck
    Enjoy the results!
    Mike

(Philadelphia County)

I just buy myself a box of whatever I'm going to be using most and see what I can do at 25 & 50yds. Like previous posters said, send a few down range, check, clean, adjust if necessary, rinse & repeat until you're pleased.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Not sure if I would really call it a short cut. I believe Arrrgh15 took the first way with his competition rifle that he uses to shoot 1,000 yrds.

IMHO, it's just difference in philosophy.
    That's because I am totally lacking in patience.

My barrel was a custom match barrel that was already lapped. The smith that built it told me to just shoot the piss out of it and not look back. Which I promptly did. Rifle gets cleaned every few hundred rounds. My results have been excellent.

For a factory rifle barrel I would probably choose a method similar to mojo's #2 or xring's. The finish on the interior of these barrels may not be up to custom match grade and might shoot better with a little more TLC.

Theory on breaking in barrels is a lot like mowing your lawn. Criss cross, angled, or just parallel to everything else, it doesn't matter, somebody will be standing along the street telling you you're doing it wrong and there way is better. So long as it gets cut and you get the results you want, who cares.

If it were me, clean it, shoot it, have fun. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast