Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question future of NAS Willow Grove

I thought BRAC is shutting it down. I keep finding lots of GS jobs listed there so are some things still going to stay there? I know I talked to someone at the LRGC shoots but sorry I forgot your name on here.
    But anyway I'm thinking about maybe working there after I retire from the nav next year but I don't want to get stuck with only working there a year or so and needing to relocate again.
    ahh net's slow on the ship I guess it will be an Air Force base now?
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; September 22nd, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: I has brd tyipey skills with new krd board
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: future of NAS Willow Grove

It's scheduled to close as an NAS in the fall of 2011, if my memory is right, with all Navy and Marine units there moving to other bases. The PA Air National Guard unit (111th Fighter Wing, I think) and the Army Reserve units would still be based there and the base would be operated by the state as a Joint Interagency installation. The Web site for the Joint Interagency plan is here: http://www.milvet.state.pa.us/DMVA/1925.htm. There's also been a lot of talk about various commercial businesses being allowed to build on parts of the base -- at one time there was even talk of making it a commercial airport (God forbid).

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    at one time there was even talk of making it a commercial airport (God forbid).
    Other logistical issues aside, it's a great candidate for conversion to a GA airport. It has a long runway, a functioning control tower with radar, and established instrument approaches. Even if they didn't go with scheduled carrier service, it'd be a great secondary airport for charter flights, corporate traffic, non-commercial general aviation, etc. Heck, there's already precedent for a shared field, too. Stewart International, right near West Point Military Academy, hosts two ANG wings alongside civilian traffic (general aviation and scheduled service).

(Montgomery County)

Unless you live near it!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lastdefender View Post
    Unless you live near it!
    It's still much better than their other options which were low income housing, single family development and retail development. I would much rather have an airport by me than more housing (let alone low income) in an area that is already over populated without the infrastructure to support it.

I just hope the Air National Guard stays and no development is allowed. I enjoy those guys flying over my house. The sound of freedom and a regular reminder of those serving to protect us.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274 View Post
    It's still much better than their other options which were low income housing, single family development and retail development. I would much rather have an airport by me than more housing (let alone low income) in an area that is already over populated without the infrastructure to support it.

I just hope the Air National Guard stays and no development is allowed. I enjoy those guys flying over my house. The sound of freedom and a regular reminder of those serving to protect us.

The land is zoned industrial. I doubt low income housing or a commercial area would have a chance. But alas, thanks to Gov. Rendel, we'll never know what could have been.

The land is zoned industrial. I doubt low income housing or a commercial area would have a chance. But alas, thanks to Gov. Rendel, we'll never know what could have been.
    That is exactly what happened in Denver,Co.

(Bucks County)

Believe me, considering the amount of potential tax revenue involved, Horsham Twp. would change their zoning maps very quickly.

You know, converting the airport to a GA field isn't necessarily a bad thing. If nothing else, GA is quieter than military traffic. A10's, C-9's, and C-130's are a whole lot louder than Cessna 172's, King Air's, Cessna Citation's, LearJets, and Gulfstreams. Also, military fields tend to operate 24x7 as mission and operations dictate. GA fields tend to wind down with the sun (people do tend to sleep at night!), so overnight departures/arrivals are uncommon in my experience.

For the record, I used to live within about a half mile as the crow flies of Northeast Philly Airport. I also used to live a similar distance on the approach path of a secondary scheduled service airport (think USAir, etc) that also happened to share space with an ANG wing (C130's). The noise wasn't bad at all. In fact, it didn't even register after a while, though when we'd get A10's overhead, it was kinda cool to sit out on the balcony and watch them do military approaches. Point is, I feel your pain about the noise, but GA fields tend to host quieter aircraft than military fields do as well as maintaining more people-friendly schedules.

(Bucks County)

Don't forget Benedict Arlen Sphincter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast