Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAL's I built

(Mercer County)

Default FAL's I built

Let's see if I can figure out how to attach my pics now...BRADS FAL'S 001 (Large).jpg
    One should forgive ones enemies, but not before they are hanged. - Heinrich Heine

(Mercer County)

It looks like that worked...how about the other side.BRADS FAL'S 004 (Medium).jpg
    One should forgive ones enemies, but not before they are hanged. - Heinrich Heine

(Philadelphia County)

Those are ncie lookin guns, I got to shoot a FAL once, it was real fun.

Did you do the paint job yourself on the one on the left?
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Mercer County)

Yes I painted it. I got the paint from a guy on the FALFILES. He had some made up to match the paint that you see on African FN FAL's that come into the U.S. as kits. I painted mine with a brush to give it that "rode hard and put away wet" Rhodesian look. The individual troops painted their own so they are all different. I have been kicking around the idea of painting a rack number on the stock as well. The rifle on the far right is a South African R1 kit that I sent off and had the South African crest ingraved in the mag well. The other two rifles are Austrian STG58 kits that I built up to look like African conflict FAL's. I drilled a hole in the center rifle where the crest would go. A few countries sold FAL's to Rhodesia when there was a trade embargo against them. They drilled out their crests before sending them to Rhodesia so that if the rifle was captured by the enemy they wouldn't know what country it came from. I hope this answered some of your questions. I will attach a close up picture of the receivers. Brad

(Mercer County)

Here is a pic of the receivers. Notice the SA crest on the rifle to the right and the hole where the crest would be in the center rifle.BRADS FAL'S 003 (Medium).jpg

(Mercer County)

Here is a better pic of the South African crest.BRADS FAL'S 008 (Large).jpg

(Mercer County)

By the way, it is legal for anyone to assemble a FAL from a kit. If you can legally own a gun that is. You just need to add the required number of U.S. parts to comply with BATF rule 922r. For the FAL that's 7 U.S. parts if you attach a flash hider. I have built all three of mine and I am getting the parts together to build a para model now. A Rhodesian copy of course. I also have another South African kit that I am going to help a friend build and I almost have another complete kit that I don't know what I am going to do with just yet. It's not an addiction...honest! I can stop at any time...well, I do have those extra parts...so not just yet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    By the way, it is legal for anyone to assemble a FAL from a kit. If you can legally own a gun that is. You just need to add the required number of U.S. parts to comply with BATF rule 922r. For the FAL that's 7 U.S. parts if you attach a flash hider. I have built all three of mine and I am getting the parts together to build a para model now. A Rhodesian copy of course. I also have another South African kit that I am going to help a friend build and I almost have another complete kit that I don't know what I am going to do with just yet. It's not an addiction...honest! I can stop at any time...well, I do have those extra parts...so not just yet.
    Out of curiosity, how much would it run you to put together a decent FAL?
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Tater, they look good...REAL good.

Dan, With the barrel ban and the price of domestic recievers...parts prices have gone through the roof.

I put 2 together myself...with 2 other guys splitting up tooling costs we built 6 FAL's total, price averaged at about $500.

I have an Imbel kit on an Imbel reciever and a G-1 on a Coonan.

Current prices...starting from scratch 700 to 800 bucks roughly.

(Lycoming County)

Nice rifles...what cal. are they .308?
    "All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation." John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast