Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default PSP Liquor Enforcement

Hello all! Got a question for any of you LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers AND Liquor Enforcement Officers). I have been looking at applying for a position with the State Police's BLCE (Liquor Control Enforcement) and had a few questions.

According to what I have read it seems you go to the academy in Hershey like the other troopers but only for 13-15 weeks, any particular reason its shorter?

Also, I am getting conflicting information about wether this is a civilian job or a sworn job. I read from a legislative document in 2006 that these were civilians, however I read from a few sources (dated last about six months ago) that these were sworn state police officers.

Finally, any shreds of insight you would care to add to the topic would be great

(Monroe County)

Default Re: PSP Liquor Enforcement

Maybe because of the limited responsibility. There badge numbers are in sequence to other PSP. (I just learned that because a friends badge is in the 5000`s and another friend is in the 10000`s and he mentions 1000 or so LCB badge numbers in between.)

(Fayette County)

i'm not sure about any of the questions you have but i have this to say.

if you apply don't plan on the process being quick, it was like 7-8 months from the time i put in an application until i was offered to take the test, and that was probably 2 months ago. I've been waiting ever since for those test results. the oral interviews were supposed to be given this month (September), but I've still never heard if i passed or failed.

(Lehigh County)

Oh wow, I would check into that. I think that it could be part of the budget problem that things have been delayed. However, yes I know that with the state things can take quite some time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by wils91 View Post
    i'm not sure about any of the questions you have but i have this to say.

if you apply don't plan on the process being quick, it was like 7-8 months from the time i put in an application until i was offered to take the test, and that was probably 2 months ago. I've been waiting ever since for those test results. the oral interviews were supposed to be given this month (September), but I've still never heard if i passed or failed.

(Perry County)

See the website. It should answer a lot of the questions.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ID=5900&mode=2

(Lehigh County)

Oh I love the website. It's a great source of info. Just doesn't tell me about the whole sworn vs. civilian thing haha

(Delaware County)

Section 211.
    (c) The Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner shall assign State Police Officers to such supervisory and other capacities in the enforcement bureau as he deems necessary. All other personnel of the enforcement bureau shall be civilians.

(e) Nothing in this act shall be construed to change the status of civilian enforcement agents for the purposes of the act of July 23, 1970 (P.L. 563, No. 195), known as the “Public Employe Relations Act,” or cause civilian enforcement agents to be considered policemen for the purposes of the act of June 24, 1968 (P.L. 237, No. 111), referred to as the Policemen and Firemen Collective Bargaining Act.

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/plcb/cwp/...546178#sect211

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by blinkbcrbass View Post
    Oh I love the website. It's a great source of info. Just doesn't tell me about the whole sworn vs. civilian thing haha
    Dunno where you are going with "sworn," per se, but this link says, in part:

PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE LIQUOR ENFORCEMENT OFFICER TRAINEE
    ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
    1. Reads complaint sheet related to assignment received from supervisor in order to obtain relevant information. Reviews establishment files located in the district office to obtain relevant information in planning an investigation.
    2. Conducts both undercover and open enforcement investigations at retail and wholesale licensed establishments. Mingles with other patrons in a licensed establishment under investigation.
    3. Observes activities occurring within a licensed establishment for varying periods to detect possible violations of liquor-related laws.
    4. Conducts regular minor patrol details at both retail and wholesale licensed establishments with the emphasis placed on violations of sales to minors and visibly intoxicated persons.
    5. Conducts routine inspections of licensed establishments and private clubs including checking food, basic physical requirements, etc. and for violations of liquor-related laws.
    6. Notifies local authorities in an adjoining state that the Liquor Enforcement Officer is working a border patrol in the area.
    7. During border patrol, maintains surveillance of liquor stores in adjoining states for persons with Pennsylvania licensed vehicles making purchases.
    8. During border patrol, maintains chain of evidence by following vehicle and stopping it after it returns to Pennsylvania in order to arrest the occupants if they have in their possession out-of-state purchased alcohol and/or malt or brewed beverages.
    9. Draws layout of the establishment including location of exits, bar, rest rooms, pool table, jukebox and shape of bar to aid in planning raids or open inspections. Plans, coordinates and directs raids or open inspections of establishments or premises suspected of being in violation of liquor-related laws.
    10. Determines the number of persons required. Assigns each person’s duties.
    11. Stores, labels and records evidence.
    12. Participates in open inspections of establishments or premises suspected of being in violation of liquor-related laws. Leads raids or open inspections of establishments or premises suspected of being in violation of liquor-related laws.
    13. Apprehends violators. Pursues violators on foot. Apprehends armed violators. Pursues and stops vehicles involved in violations. Subdues violators by necessary physical force. Arrests and takes into custody armed violators.
    14. Arrests on view suspects for violation of liquor-related laws.
    15. Carries and operates with strong and weak hand a firearm issued by the Department.
    16. Seizes beer, liquor, and other contraband including electronic poker machines, gambling paraphernalia, furniture, refrigerators, bars and other items used in conducting violations of the liquor-related laws.
    17. Carries seized goods up and down as many as two flights of stairs. Carries seized goods from site of seizure to trucks. Loads and unloads trucks with seized goods.
    18. Stores seized goods in secure facilities.
    19. Searches vehicles for contraband. Searches buildings for contraband.
    20. Takes statements from witnesses and suspects related to violations of liquor-related laws.
    21. Prepares non-traffic citations, criminal complaints, warrants, etc. using printed forms for district magistrate’s signature.
    22. Serves subpoenas to witnesses, usually minors, required to testify at hearings.
    23. Testifies before Administrative Law Judge in citation proceedings against licensee to present findings of investigation.
    24. Testifies before District Magistrates and other courts to present findings of investigations involving violations of liquor-related laws.
    25. Possess and demonstrate the ability to receive, process, comprehend, and execute verbal and written orders and/or instructions from superiors.
    The "arrest" and "carries a gun" things seem to indicate that, yes, it's a LEO position.

Insofar as LCB can be--I know both PSP and local cops who think these guys (rightly, IMHO) are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by blinkbcrbass View Post
    Click the 'about us' page. Second paragraph:

"Enforcement officers are civilian personnel of the State Police."

(Lehigh County)

Thank you all for the resources. It really helps!

Any reason why people have a lower view of these officers? I was thinking this would be a good job for me to transition to state police life and then after two years applying for the academy as a Trooper Cadet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast