Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default First time shooting my Kel-Tec P-3AT... Federal HS didn't do well...

Well, after carrying my Kel-Tec for over a year, I finally got it to the range. I shot (50) rounds of American Eagle (95gr) and only had (1) jam, and it was the last round in a clip. I'm thinking low spring tension might have been why. I put that same round at the top of the next clip and it fed just fine.

I finished up with a (5) round clip of Federal Hydra-Shok (90gr) and it didn't go so well. Two jams out of five rounds... Makes me think I need to choose a different defense load.

Anyone have any advice? Do Hydra-Shoks normally have jamming issues in Kel-Tecs or do I just need to put more rounds through it?

Shooting-wise it didn't do too bad. I was getting 4-5" groups at 25 ft and about 10-12" groups at 50 ft. I'll get better, but I can live with that.

I can't wait to shoot my PX4 sub .40 next week.
    Last edited by JrFreak; September 19th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First time shooting my Kel-Tec P-3AT... Federal HS didn't do well...

You carried a gun that you hadn't fired for a year before testing it? Am i reading that correctly? Wow.

(Blair County)

Default Re: First time shooting my Kel-Tec P-3AT... Federal HS didn't do well...

Yeah, I know. I just didn't have the time to get to the range. Had our first child 14 months ago... that combined with work I just couldn't get out.

I only carried my Kel-Tec when I wear light clothing... had my Glock with me when I could conceal it.

(Pike County)

I have 2 p3at's. My #1 would not feed WW Silvertip HP's at all. Both love PowRBall, and I use it as my carry load in both.

(Lebanon County)

everything i've read about the .380 round says you get the best penetration with plain 'ol ball ammo......and that's not saying much cause even then you're not getting all that much.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

The Hornaday Critical Defense JHP seem to do very well in a P3at. for a self defense round. If I were you I'd see if I could get away for a couple of hours and shoot a bunch of rounds through that gun. Shoot a box, Clean and lube, shoot a box clean and lube till you get about 150 rounds through it. The WWB 100 cnt.value pack from Walmart seem to do well. That mag spring might loosen up after a little use. If I were you though before I did that I'd do a fluff and buff on the gun.

Here a linc you might want to take a look at.
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm

(Bucks County)

IMHO this puppy should not be carried until you get it Fluff & Buffed (I think that's what they call it). Do a search here because I posted details on where I sent mine. Afterwards it runs like a champ. If you can't find it PM me and I'll dig up the details.

(Philadelphia County)

FWIW, I had to deal with Kel-tec three or four times (both sending my gun in and getting parts shipped to me) before my P3AT was 100%.

I finally sent the gun back and they destroyed it and sent me a new one with the old serial number.

The gun has been 100% now with all types of ammo, and while extremely frustrating, I was always able to speak with somebody of the phone and they couldn't have been any nicer.

Give them a call, they'll take care of you.

(Montgomery County)

when i had mine i had great results with win silver tips for sd and win walmart white box or fed fmj for pratice

(Bucks County)

Mike,

Here is the guy who did my F&B and plating of the slide:

John Fuselier
    42 Estate Road Livingston TX, 77351
    Phone: 936-967-4919
    gunsmith@fuselier.com
    http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/slideoffer.html

It was back in 2006 so I don't know if he is still around. I forget how much it was but I remember it being cheap. Anyways, here is mine. Since then it has gone boom every time but as you know this type of gun is not really for thousands of rounds. And the pinky thingy makes a world of difference.

Ps. Like others have mentioned make sure you KNOW that your carry piece works before carrying it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast