Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default What gun shops do you use?

Looking for a good local gun dealer. Let me know who you use.

Thanks

(Pike County)

Default Re: What gun shops do you use?

Going south from you;
    For selection and OK prices, Dunkelberger’s in Stroudsburg. They usually have what I am looking for at a very reasonable price. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, great to talk with and always willing to spend time answering whatever questions you have.

Warner's Surplus in Tannersville is worth a look, good prices and friendly staff. If you’re going to Dunkelberger’s or shooting at Sunset Hill Shooting Range they are worth a little detour.

Going North;
    For a good used selection, friendly owner, very good prices (easily 15% better than others), and an indoor range, Heberling’s in Prompton (just past Honesdale)… Worth The Trip! I’ve picked up a few guns at great prices here. I usually check to see if they have it in stock before I go looking around!

Northeast Firearms on Main St. in Honesdale, worth a look if you’re going to Heberling’s.

Wallenpaupack Sports Shop on Rt 6 just past Lk Wallenpaupack at Rt 590, on the way to Heberling’s. I bought a rifle and scope there, some fishing gear, and a few other things. They are a bit high but fun to BS with. A few friends buy ammo there because they are close to the SG range, so I guess they are convenient.

And, Gander Mountain in Dickson City gets good trade-ins and will deal on price both new and used. They gave me the best deal on my Beretta shotgun, and it was in stock.

(Wayne County)

I'd also like to recommend the Hemlock Gun shop which is located on 590. Just about 8 mins from the Wallenpaulpak gun shop on the right hand side. I recently purchased a glock from them and was very pleased with the outcome. The owner, Bruce is a Master Gunsmith so thats something to keep on the back burner as well. Being that he's extremely knowledgeable. Nice place right by the lake to do a little bs'ing. 570-226-9410.

Again, if anyone is interested in a nice day of shooting, let me know. - Mike.
    Last edited by SFMarine; November 15th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Thumbs up Re: What gun shops do you use?

Charlie & Marine:
    Thank you both for those very helpfull posts! That's what makes PAFOA one of my favorite websites.

(Pike County)

Well i took your advise and stopped into a few shops to browse.
    I ended up buying from Dunkelberger’s in Stroudsburg.
    The staff was very helpful and patient. I am new to the pistol world so i had some questions and was taking my time to decide which pistol was right for me.
    Just a note to the locals Dunkelberger’s in Stroudsburg is opening up a indoor shooting range i found out from one of the staff members on 1st street i believe he said in August. So that is nice to hear.

(Pike County)

I didn’t know about Hemlock Gun Shop, Thanks. I stopped there yesterday on my way to Heberling’s for some range time. Bruce wasn’t there, but (I forgot his name) the guy there was friendly and a pleasure to talk with. They didn‘t have what I wanted but I spent better than a half hour there.

I also stopped by Northeast Firearms on my way back from Heberling’s. I had not met the owner and had only done business with his employee before. I bought a bore sight and some ammo in the few trips prior, but nothing big as they haven’t had what I needed in stock. I called first, looking for a high carry holster for my SW9VE and they said they had something in stock that would fit. Of course, they did not. And he wouldn’t order one because if I didn’t like it when it came in, what would he do with it.

In contrast, I stopped at Wallenpaupack Sports Shop (also on the way home) and Mike (the owner) was more than helpful. He ordered a variety of DeSantis holsters on the phone, right in front of me, for a variety of guns. He said they needed more stock anyway and one of them would surely fit my gun. Although he is a bit high priced, Mark has always gone a bit above to please his customers, and he’s always up for a good conversation.

So far, Dunkelberger’s, Heberling’s, and Wallenpaupack Sports Shop are the only shops I have dealt with who will special order something for me to look at without any deposit because they know it should have been in stock anyway. You would think, with 3 gun shops within 15 min of each other, Northeast would make a better effort to help a customer. I guess, Northeast Firearms comes off my recommend list.

(Wayne County)

I totally agree with you Charlie. I'm not too thrilled with northeast firearms either. I bought an ar-15 off of them a few years ago...i went in not too long ago and he wasn't very friendly and seemed uninterested. So i walked out. Gus @ heberlings is a good guy i haven't been to his indoor range in a while. I need to update my membership.

I actually ran into Mark Strasser(the owner of wallenpaupak gun shop) @ the range in Hawley yesterday. He was trying out some pistols that he took in as trade- ins. Always a pleasure to talk with! But prices are a bit steep. What do you expect for being in Ny second home territory.

I'm happy you were satisfied with the hemlock gun shop. The big guy there is always up for a good convo. I believe his name is lou. I was thinking about heading to the range today but it looks like rain is imminent for this afternoon/evening.
    Last edited by SFMarine; February 1st, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

(Pike County)

Yes, Lou. What a friendly guy. I genuinely enjoyed our conversation. Too bad they didn’t have a better selection of wheel guns. I have been thinking about going back to a .38 for carry, and may have even traded my Sigma if they had something interesting used – besides the .44 Dirty Harry (too big to hide).

I may stop back on Friday if Bruce is there. I was also looking for an adjustable sight for my Sigma. Even after laser bore sighting, I am tending to shoot low and to the left – except with a one hand stance. Go figure… I might keep it if I can resolve the sights.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    .... I stopped at Wallenpaupack Sports Shop (also on the way home) and Mike (the owner) was more than helpful. He ordered a variety of DeSantis holsters on the phone, right in front of me, for a variety of guns. He said they needed more stock anyway and one of them would surely fit my gun. Although he is a bit high priced, Mark has always gone a bit above to please his customers, and he’s always up for a good conversation....

As I said, Mark has always gone a bit above to please his customers, the DeSantis holsters he ordered came in as promised. The price was better than I would have expected, very competitive.

You never know what he will have in his used display. He wheels and deals those used guns. I picked up a used - near new S&W model 37-2 Airweight from him last week - SWEET price.

I put 2 boxes of CCI through it at Sunset Hill on Thursday - it felt good. I went to Heberling’s Friday – and again, you never know what you will find there. Picked up 3 boxes of Winchester +P Silvertips for $10 a box! (Whatever he has ‘in the pile’, marked at the time it got piled – you just have to dig). Put a box through it, respectable groups at 25 feet. Those +P’s kick like a mule…

Default What gun shops do you use?

Dunkelberger's is opening an indoor shooting range on First Street in Stroudsburg. (Not to be confused with First Street in East Stroudsburg which is just over the Memorial Bridge.) Last I heard it was scheduled to open, sometime, in October.

If you guys are coming down to Stroudsburg in order to buy guns, go a few miles farther south on Routes 33/209 to Brodheadsville. The best selection of guns in Monroe County is located at American Sport Shooting. Wait until you see the selection of military firearms - Worth the trip alone!

Last time I was there they had well over a hundred handguns in stock and ready to go.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast