Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Harness Extensions

So here's the story....

I'm in my climber all settled by 6am. At almost 7am a nice doe arrives almost directly behind me. I turn glance her over and decide if she turns I will draw. She turns, I ....wait oh crap. My harness didn't have enough give to let me face the tree lean over and draw. I fidgeted trying to move it around to get a shot, by then it's too late.

So the question is.....Can I buy an extension to lengthen the harness, and if so where? I know a harness is meant to keep you from dropping too far, but it cost me a shot today.

Anyhow no meat in the freezer yet, but a great morning to be outside finally hunting again. Besides the shooter doe, I saw 6 other deer in the 3 hours I was out. 4 Doe (one too far, 3 too small), and 2 button bucks.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Harness Extensions

The harness is the webbing/material that you wear. The hook-up strap is the part I think you are referring to. But I understand your Q...

The proper way to adjust the strap is so that it is just shy of taught/rigid when seated. Leaving only enough room to move your torso around it's normal range of movement one would do while seated. If adjusted this way it allows quite a bit (in my experiences) of slack while standing. I have never been restricted by my strap when adjusted in this manner.

My advice is to NOT extend your strap unless it is too short to adjust the way I described above. In my mind safety is more important than anything else including getting a shot. But that's me. Others do not even use safety gear. That's their prerogative, and choice.

What strap/harness are you using?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    The harness is the webbing/material that you wear. The hook-up strap is the part I think you are referring to. But I understand your Q...

The proper way to adjust the strap is so that it is just shy of taught/rigid when seated. Leaving only enough room to move your torso around it's normal range of movement one would do while seated. If adjusted this way it allows quite a bit (in my experiences) of slack while standing. I have never been restricted by my strap when adjusted in this manner.

My advice is to NOT extend your strap unless it is too short to adjust the way I described above. In my mind safety is more important than anything else including getting a shot. But that's me. Others do not even use safety gear. That's their prerogative, and choice.

What strap/harness are you using?
    I do the same as you say. just applying a little pressure while seated.

I am using the standard full body (5 point?) harness that came with my summit stand. It does provide slack for movement, but just not quite enough to take a shot from about 140-190 degrees for archery. I needed to be toward the front of my stand facing the tree for the shot, and it was just not enough to turn in for the draw.

(Fayette County)

Next time face your stand the other way, LOL.

Seriously extending the strap is an awful idea. If you are hanging lower than you can reach your stand because you got a longer strap, you just defeated the purpose of the wearing the harness at all.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post

Seriously extending the strap is an awful idea. If you are hanging lower than you can reach your stand because you got a longer strap, you just defeated the purpose of the wearing the harness at all.
    yup! Coop is 100% correct
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

I buy the tubular webbing at REI in 12 foot lengths. I tie end loops in each end, pass around tree, and one loop through the other. To adjust for proper length, I set another loop at desired point in "free end". I hook this to strap on my harness with a carabiner. Works great, and the carabiner makes for easy/safe transfer of load (me) between safety straps.
    9mm = 45acp set on "stun"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post

No shit. I went 2 years no harness and have seen the error in not wearing one, so I guess its just getting use to it. Honestly 6-12 more inches would be fantatic. At this point if I fell I would barely go past my seat with my tie on at head level. My thoughts are if I could find another industrial buckles like the one that is used to cinch to the tree I could use it on the slack end to give myself a little more maneuverability.