Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pa. black caucus: No gun laws, no budget

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/8219987.html

Pa. black caucus: No gun laws, no budgetAngry Phila. legislators aim to hold up spending bill over crime relief.

By Amy Worden
    Inquirer Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG - Anger about the lack of action on gun-control bills boiled over onto the House floor yesterday, with several African American Democrats from Philadelphia vowing to hold up passage of the state budget unless their bills are considered.

With the city's death toll approaching 200 this year, six members of the Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus made impassioned pleas for help during an unexpected two-hour discussion about gun violence and many of its root causes: drugs, joblessness and poverty.

They were not debating a bill; none of the 14 anticrime bills introduced this session has even made it out of a House committee.

Amid a busy day filled with a slew of budget bills, Rep. Jewell Williams, chairman of the Philadelphia delegation, used a parliamentary procedure known as "unanimous consent" to voice his frustration over the stalled gun-control bills.

"I am going to make it completely clear: no gun legislation, no votes for the budget," Williams said. "Philadelphia members are constantly asked to support legislation that helps other areas of the state as our pleas for help continue to fall on deaf ears.

The Democrats hold a one-seat majority in the 203-member House. The caucus, with 17 members, could block the budget.

Rep. Thomas W. Blackwell of Philadelphia told anti-gun-control rural lawmakers, who make up the majority of the House, that he had no intention of trying to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens.

"We're not trying to control what you do in your home," he said. "We're trying to control what's going on in the streets of Philadelphia."

Several suburban Philadelphia lawmakers stood to support their urban colleagues. Rep. Mike Gerber (D., Montgomery) said gun violence has a negative effect on the region.

"These problems don't know city borders," he said. "The guns flow into Montgomery County, certainly in levels that are unacceptable."

Rep. Thaddeus Kirkland (D., Delaware), chairman of the Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus, which has 17 House members, invoked the words of civil rights activist Malcolm X on the House floor, saying he was prepared to advance the cause of gun control "by any means necessary."

"We are prepared to stand firm and we could hold up some things," he said. When asked whether he meant the budget, Kirkland said, "yes."

It was unclear how many other members of the caucus would support Williams and Kirkland in their threat, but House leadership recognized the power of the caucus as a voting bloc.

"Their concern is legitimate; you can't blame them for using the only tool in their toolbox," said Mike Manzo, chief of staff for House Majority Leader Bill DeWeese (D., Greene). "They wield considerable influence."

Gov. Rendell has repeatedly called for stricter gun laws, even going so far last month as to suggest that the legislature was being controlled by the National Rifle Association.

His spokesman, Chuck Ardo, said Rendell sympathizes with the Philadelphia legislators' intent and that "he himself intends to make a further push for the one-handgun-a month legislation in the fall."

But, he added, "If the governor held up the budget over every critical issue facing the commonwealth, at least the essential personnel will be here when the snow falls."

Early yesterday evening, in a surprise move, Rep. Thomas Caltagirone (D., Berks), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, called a committee meeting to vote on Williams' bill to require the reporting of lost and stolen firearms (HB 29).

It failed by a vote of 11-17, but committee members agreed to reconsider the legislation later.

Other gun-control legislation still in the House Judiciary Committee includes a bill that would limit handgun purchases to one a month and another that would allow Philadelphia to craft its own gun laws.

One outcome of yesterday's impromptu gun-control debate is a new commission that will come up with bipartisan anticrime legislation.

House Speaker Dennis O'Brien (R., Phila.), responding to a request from members, said he would form a special commission to address crime and violence. His spokesman, Bill Patton, said the commission members would include outside experts and crime victims' groups, as well as lawmakers, who will draft legislation for consideration this fall.

For some, there's been enough talk about crime.

"Commissions are fine," said Kirkland. "But we have to move beyond that. We need action."

(Berks County)

Default Re: Pa. black caucus: No gun laws, no budget

I hope the rest of the legislators in the Assembly don't cave on this. Put enough pressure on these guys, and they will be forced to approve the budget.

If I were in the Assembly, I wouldn't for one minute allow these guys, and their constituents, to be seen as victims. Not when they're essentially threatening to hold the entire state government hostage over consideration for bills that shouldn't be passed, because they are in direct conflict with the UFA already on the books.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lebanon County)

What does the Pa. white caucus have to say about this?

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Believe it or not, I'm actually kind of okay on the whole 'no budget' idea.

(Chester County)

Shut the whole f@#King state gov down. Thats A GREAT Idea. Let them all fend for themselves. Now we can start dismantling the welfar state mentality.

You dont work you dont eat.

never mind the fact that they dont dix the roads anyway so what will we miss. maybe next years taxes will go down.!!!!

(Allegheny County)

I guess I missed the part about the threat. What is the 'bad' stuff that will happen if they don't get their way?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Rep. Thaddeus Kirkland (D., Delaware), chairman of the Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus, which has 17 House members, invoked the words of civil rights activist Malcolm X on the House floor, saying he was prepared to advance the cause of gun control "by any means necessary."
    Ah, invoke the words of Malcom X to make you case for gun control. The same malcom x who said:

"Concerning nonviolence: It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law."

"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

"Last but not least, I must say this concerning the great controversy over rifles and shotguns. The only thing I've ever said is that in areas where the government has proven itself either unwilling or unable to defend the lives and the property of Negroes, it's time for Negroes to defend themselves. Article number two of the Constitutional amendments provides you and me the right to own a rifle or a shotgun. It is constitutionally legal to own a shotgun or a rifle."

(Montgomery County)

Then I shall email my Rep's to make sure support for the cities go's first. Or better yet the people who support the Black Caucus should suffer first. That way they will scream at their Reps.

(Erie County)

Thanks for posting this. I e-mailed my rep & senator to tell them I wouldn't miss the state govt for few weeks, and that the outcry from Kirkland's district would be loud and fast if the welfare checks dried up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    What does the Pa. white caucus have to say about this?
    You said exactly what I was thinking. If there were such a caucus, everyone would be crying racism. The double-standard is sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Believe it or not, I'm actually kind of okay on the whole 'no budget' idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lougotzz View Post
    Shut the whole f@#King state gov down. Thats A GREAT Idea. Let them all fend for themselves. Now we can start dismantling the welfar state mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I e-mailed my rep & senator to tell them I wouldn't miss the state govt for few weeks, and that the outcry from Kirkland's district would be loud and fast if the welfare checks dried up.
    Agreed. Only those who rely on the government actually miss the government when it's not there. It exactly because of situations like this that our Founding Fathers advocated a self-reliant and self-sustaining citizenry: the less you need the government, the easier it is to hold them accountable for their actions. And as we all know, many (not all, but many) of the "citizens" (my stomach turns even categorizing them as such) in the areas these legislators represent would rather suckle from the government breast at the expense of the rest of us than take responsibility for themselves and be free in the process.

It's sad that so many people are willing to sacrifice their freedom for the sake of laziness and security.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; June 30th, 2007 at 09:18 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast